Disappointed after auditioning speakers - hoping for suggestions

elsabio

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking for speakers to partner with the Naim Unity in a small (4mx4m) room: a second system.

We listen to music from the very earliest (Leonin, Perotin, Hildegard...) through medieval, baroque, classical, romatic, minimal, folk to popular (Muse, Radiohead...).

So far, we have listened to a few dealer suggestions:

Tannoy DC6 SE (a bit too big, wonderfully integrated sound but a bit warm and confortable; make early music sound classical)

Neat Motive 2 (probably the right physical size but a boring, uninvolved sound that is just nothing like "being there")

ATC SCM11 (Not enough detail, especially in chamber music, and gets confused by complex percussion)

(second hand) Focal Chorus 807V (Plenty of detail for chamber music, but really could not live with the brittle upper frequencies for modern music)

And so I'm disappointed in not having been impressed by modern speaker design in my £1000-ish budget.

I guess what I'd like is something with the integrated sound of the Tannoys but with more detail (but not as much as the Focals) and a smaller size.

Just reading the reviews, I see the Monitor Audio Gold GX50, the PMC Twenty 22 and the Spendor SA1 (with their very expensive custom stands) as possibilities for my next excursion to the dealers. I was wondering if there is something obvious I've missed, or something the assembled experts here can suggest so I can home in on someting we like before the enthusiasm wears off :).

Mark.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would try one of the following brands:

Spendor

Harbeth

Epos

Dynaudio

Sonus Faber

Kef (R Series)

I have no idea how the synergy will work with this list, but I suspect you should find a good fit with one of them.

A

Anonymous

Try listening to the Kef Ls50's speakers
perfect really in every respect
job done.

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Hi Mark, if I were to name a speaker that have all the things you think is missing then it would be the mordaunt short mezzo 6. It is detailed but forgiving, fairly neutral and is efficient enough for the uniti. Its well under your budget too. Alternatively you could go with the Dynaudio DM 3/7, these have a magical soundstage, just a tad over your budget but I reckon its worth it....it certainly beat the socks off the DC6s when I heard them.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Another vote here for the PMCDB1i's , they are truly amazing speakers for the money and the size .

http://www.lintone.co.uk/standmount-speakers/PMC-DB1i-speakersoak-934-94-2391.php

Or maybe this version called the DB1Gold that is based on the professional version

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/p/pmc-db1-goldspeakersincludes-free-metropolis-cd-cleaning-cloth

There are many other good speakers to choose from but nothing comes to these IMO :) .

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
With the Naim Uniti, I would particularly recommend the PMC DB1i's and PMC Twenty.21 and Twenty.22's, KEF LS50 and R100 or R300, the Neat Petite SX (quite different to the Motive range), and the ProAc Studio 115's.

One or two of the above may be a little too big for you based on your comment about the DC6SE's.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I would try one of the following brands:

Spendor

Harbeth

Epos

Dynaudio

Sonus Faber

Kef (R Series)

I have no idea how the synergy will work with this list, but I suspect you should find a good fit with one of them.

This is were I would put my money on.

And i did on the Dyns Excite X12.

Go and demo another set of speakers.

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
With the Naim Uniti, I would particularly recommend the PMC DB1i's and PMC Twenty.21 and Twenty.22's, KEF LS50 and R100 or R300, the Neat Petite SX (quite different to the Motive range), and the ProAc Studio 115's.

One or two of the above may be a little too big for you based on your comment about the DC6SE's.

I was surprised by the comment about motive 2 being boring and uninvolved, my motives 3s are very engaging and probably boring being the last word to describe. Anyway, you mentioned the petite being quite different so I wondered how these compare or indeed petite 3's should an opportunity arise in the future? IE Am I likely to like the petite based upon loving the motive 3s?

Would really appreciate your views David as you are very familiar with these.

Ambrose

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I have similar musical taste to you (not Radiohead obviously :rofl: ) and I bought the Kef Q500s which are well within your budget. I think they are brilliant on classical music of all eras.

Chris

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Ambrose said:
I was surprised by the comment about motive 2 being boring and uninvolved, my motives 3s are very engaging and probably boring being the last word to describe. Anyway, you mentioned the petite being quite different so I wondered how these compare or indeed petite 3's should an opportunity arise in the future? IE Am I likely to like the petite based upon loving the motive 3s?

Ambrose

Hi Ambrose

We all interpret things differently - in this case, the OP wasn't impressed with the Motive 2's - you probably love them. Every single product out there will divide opinions (regardless of what anyone says, or however they're marketed), which is why dealers exist - to provide the chance to audition to find what we're looking for.

I have to admit, I'm not a great fan of the Motive 1 or 2, and I find the Elite and Petite much more to my liking. I'm assuming it is due to the larger mid/bass driver that I find them more effortless and natural, with a more believable scale to them. Probably because they play louder too :)

Anyone liking any Neat models will more than likely like other ones too as theyll be tonally similar and have the 'family sound', but they do progress noticeably when moving up to the next range. I'm sure you'd like the Petite or Elites, but as always, try and get a demo first just to make sure. When some people change they like to change to a different manufacturer to ensure they get something quite different, as they feel going for a speaker from the same manufacturer (however better they are) are just too similar in presentation.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Another plug for the PMC DB 1i - works very well with the Uniti. I believe that WHF once recommended this speaker as being ideal for the Uniti.

However, if you want something a bit different, try the Elac BS243. It has a ribbon (Jet) tweeter and comes in a lovely black lacquer finish. When I used to own a Uniti, I alternated between the PMC and Elac and eventually decided that to my ears the Elac had the slight edge because of the tweeter's handling of the high frequencies.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

Singslinger said:
Another plug for the PMC DB 1i - works very well with the Uniti. I believe that WHF once recommended this speaker as being ideal for the Uniti.

However, if you want something a bit different, try the Elac BS243. It has a ribbon (Jet) tweeter and comes in a lovely black lacquer finish. When I used to own a Uniti, I alternated between the PMC and Elac and eventually decided that to my ears the Elac had the slight edge because of the tweeter's handling of the high frequencies.

Good luck!

Sounds like you have tried good quality speakers. Could it be these speakers have not been run in fully so you are not hearing their true ability ?

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Mirren Boy said:
Singslinger said:

Good luck!

Sounds like you have tried good quality speakers. Could it be these speakers have not been run in fully so you are not hearing their true ability ?

Actually, I used the PMC first for several months so they were fully run in by the time I chanced upon the Elacs. But I have to say the PMCs are very special indeed - wonderful bass for such a small enclosure and a very sweet midrange. The Elacs however, offer a bit more flexibility depending on the listening room - there are two bungs for the rear port to fine-tune the bass and there is a tweeter attachment to tame any brightness that might occur if the room has many reflective surfaces.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Naim amplifiers had relatively low electrical damping (full bass). They are also (or have been, at least) high frequency limited, both by design.

Speakers that have decent inherent bass driver damping and a good tweeter with nicely extended treble would be where I'd start. I once had a lovely session with a Naim system including the XS Amplifier and a pair of Mordaunt Short MS20i Pearl, magic. Because of that I would cautiously assume that some Epos models would be a very good match too. Not sure about their latest ones though as the design/drivers completely differ.

regards

Ambrose

Feb 19, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Ambrose said:

Ambrose

Hi Ambrose

We all interpret things differently - in this case, the OP wasn't impressed with the Motive 2's - you probably love them. Every single product out there will divide opinions (regardless of what anyone says, or however they're marketed), which is why dealers exist - to provide the chance to audition to find what we're looking for.

I have to admit, I'm not a great fan of the Motive 1 or 2, and I find the Elite and Petite much more to my liking. I'm assuming it is due to the larger mid/bass driver that I find them more effortless and natural, with a more believable scale to them. Probably because they play louder too :)

Anyone liking any Neat models will more than likely like other ones too as theyll be tonally similar and have the 'family sound', but they do progress noticeably when moving up to the next range. I'm sure you'd like the Petite or Elites, but as always, try and get a demo first just to make sure. When some people change they like to change to a different manufacturer to ensure they get something quite different, as they feel going for a speaker from the same manufacturer (however better they are) are just too similar in presentation.

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. Of course, you are right in that we all have our own preferences and hear things differently. The word boring just struck a chord with me.

Anyhow, I guess the nail on the head is being more effortless and greater scale which would be icing on the cake. I like the "do progress noticably" part 8)

Thanks again

Ambrose

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
If you think the Neats are the right size (still quite baffled by your other comment about the Motive 2 though), could I suggest the Spendor A3, they're roughly the same size as the Neats and I found they were a bit more in your face, I definitely wouldn't describe them as being boring.

BTW, if you want the true definition of boring and uninvolving just listen to the radio in a Vauxhall Astra!! ;)

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
My advice is to buy a pair of AVI ADM9RS (or RSS).

If necessary, this could be part-funded by selling the Naim gadget and buying a simple streamer or an iPad+AppleTV.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
But "seriously", I suggested selling the Naim thingy because its amplifier would be redundant and perfectly adequate low cost alternatives are available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts