Dilemma plz advise, sammy not up to expectations

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all, new to forum need ppls advice opinions plz as I have quite a dilemma on my hands.

I recently went into the deep end and bought a samsung le40a656 after reading your reviews and after a recommendation from a friend who has a 4 series 40" and is very pleased with it.

However...... after plugging in etc and firing up my pc, which will be main reason for this extravagence as I'm an avid gamer, YUK!!! horrific ghosting and blurring, I can see 4 yes FOUR sets of ghosts on the screen, I look online and discover that this is a known problem with this new set and there is a firmware update for this, I do it as per instruction - no change - I contact samsung, again and again and again, so far it's been a full month, first they say yes theres a problem we'll send and engineer, then they say there's not and they won't - short story long unless I get some tapdancing naked redheads to accompany the engineer to amuse me, this thing is going back and if dixons balk it's outside the 16 days I have a long list of emails to samsung and their replies to prove this thing is not acceptable.

So heres my dilemma: i've been looking about again and my possible choices are the Toshiba 40XF355D or the Sony KDL-40V4000 which are in the same price bracket as the sammy was and seem to be the best of the pick, although at a push to future proof so to speak I'm willing to go to the sony 40W4000 if ppl can convince me the extra bucks are worth it. BUT....just to add insult, is it worth going thru all this hassle and aggro samsung are throwing in my direction to stick with the samsung le40a656.

I'm also open to other suggestions of older models as cinema and tv is not a priority but ofc as I'm spending this kind of money (a significant sum for me) it needs to be one thats' going to last at least the next few years and will be plugged into a ps3 in the near future so good motion capability is important.

Oh and also side by side picture in picture is also important which the sammy suprisingly doesn't have (just a rubbish window less than 1/4 the size of the screen that obsures whatever is under the corner it's sitting in making watching tv and webbrowsing awkward) unless you use the hdmi inputs for both pc and tv which my normal cable doesn't allow, AND you can only have main PC with PiP for Tv and not main tv with pc PiP.

upon re-reading it's a bit muddled, so to clarify - which of the above named tv's (or suggested alternatives) are better, where side by side picture in picture is required, good motion capability for games, within £1000 budget at the absolute top end and will not be outdated technology for a few years.

If anyone can give me answers to these questions or personal experience viewpoints - i'd greatly appreciate it, any questions plz feel free to ask however minor - to be honest I'm quite dissapointed with this leap into the lcd HD world as many sites don't give good in depth descriptions of the tech specs/ features of lcds so it often seems to be a leap into the dark. I would never have considered the sammy had I known about the lack of side by side PiP unless you have hdmi input of the tv signal which is not available at all for cable as far as I'm aware and is an expensive optional extra for sky. I might even do a review as there are a few hidden things about the sammy that are not described in most of the blurb I've read.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Firstly, let's get this straight. Do you want a PC monitor or a TV? Because the two are very different I can assure you, and it looks like you've bought a TV but you are expecting a PC monitor.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I use my Sony KDL-40W2000 as a display from my Home Theatre PC with no problems. Having said that I don't use it for gaming, but used to use it to playback blu-rays and DVD's via a Gigabyte 8600GTS silent graphics card. the results were impressive, not far off what I'm getting from my standalone Sony BDP-S350 blu-ray player. I connected the PC via an Audioquest DVI - HDMI lead to my TV, not utilising the D-Sub PC connection on the TV and set the PC output to 1080p.

Not sure if this helps with the gaming question, but certainly HD movies were no problem on my Sony from the PC.

A

Anonymous

I tend to agree with the prof - if you need a monitor than buy a monitor.

My Panasonic TV is brilliant as a TV but very average if used as a monitor. My Dell monitor is the exact opposite.

A

Anonymous

well I'm obviously showing my ignorance here as I thought an lcd panel was an lcd panel having the same basic components, however as I stated my friend has a series 4 sammy, I asked him over and he took one look at mine with the pc on and he said "thats not right I don't have any of that, that looks terrible" as he uses his for the same purpose, which is why I decided on a tv/monitor in the first place. I do understand that a dedicated lcd monitor a few years ago could have been different to lcd tv but I was under the belief that they were very similar in abilities now especially with the "media centre pc" becoming so common and with console gaming machines being available for more than 10 years now and advanced ones like xbox360 utilising 1080p for nearly 3 years - I can't believe manufacturers wouldn't consider the possibility of their lcds being plugged into one of these - having said that, the much vaunted 100hz spec of the latest series 6 sammy I have, which I was under the impression was specifically for reducing motion blur, (and a large portion of why I decided on a series 6 and not a much cheaper series 5) ISNT available in gaming mode which is very short sighted imho.

The settings on the link above also suggest turning the 100hz to either low or off for HD viewing - which pretty much makes it a redundant feature.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts