Digital edition of What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision is here!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
One of the reasons for choosing Zinio is that it's cross-platform, being usable on computers as well as tablets. I've run it on PCs, Macs and iThings. And you can scroll around pages, zoomed or otherwise, on all kinds of computers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks.

Just tried to buy one issue but, despite offering a PayPal payment option, it still wants me to register all my details.

(The point of PayPal is NOT to have to do all that. It ensures instant payment. What more do Zinio want?)

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
So why no support for iPhone iOS devices? I know it's a small screen and all but it's mighty convenient (since you can read the item you've purchased on any device you own) for reading articles on the train to work.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Again, it's down to Zinio, not us: the company makes the decision in which formats it offers titles, and at the moment hasn't optimised the files we supply for iPhone, in common with many of the titles it offers.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Indeed, when transferring my Zinio magazines to my iPhone I get the following message:

"You may notiice that not all of your publications show up in the Zinio iPhone application. We are still translating the thousands of titles in our library to the iPhone. You will see them appear as soon as they become available."

So as Andrew says, down to Zinio, not us. But I'm sure they'll get it sorted.

John Duncan

John Duncan said:
Any good deals going for ex-employees...? ;)

5.gif

A

Anonymous

Got the digital copy earlier today. On the IPad, it's a joy to read. On a PC, not so much.

I guess I'll have to borrow my wife's ipad2 (mother's day gift: will be receving it on the 25th.)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Nothing 'wrong' that we can see - but (as with so many things) the iPad experience is, as you'd expect, slicker. After all, it's simply more natural to hold a magazine in your hand and turn the pages with your fingers than it is to click/scroll a mouse. That's the same for every digital magazine!

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
MoData said:
Got the digital copy earlier today. On the IPad, it's a joy to read. On a PC, not so much.

What is wrong with it on a PC?

My pet peeve: i can zoom in on a page (the font's too small without zooming in), but once I do that, I can't easily/intuitively move around in the page just using my mouse.

The mouse behavior should mirror the touch behavior in that respect, but it doesn't.

This is not a gripe against WhatHiFi. Just the Zinio experience on the PC. It's specially bad with the stereophile magazine since the font size is a lot smaller.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I love the digital magazine edition. I'm on a Mac, and I've an iPhone but no iPad, so I'll be pleased when I'm able to access it when on the move. But for now, it looks great, is slick in operation and suits me perfectly.

One of my work colleagues, a Head of Music, but alas no interest in hi-fi magazines, has just purchased an iPad2, and is drooling over the damn thing and making me very envious!!!

If at some future time I succumb to the iPad2 temptation, can I simply access the digital edition from my existing yearly digital subscription account?

Jonathan Evans

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
MoData said:
My pet peeve: i can zoom in on a page (the font's too small without zooming in), but once I do that, I can't easily/intuitively move around in the page just using my mouse.

The mouse behavior should mirror the touch behavior in that respect, but it doesn't.

This is not a gripe against WhatHiFi. Just the Zinio experience on the PC. It's specially bad with the stereophile magazine since the font size is a lot smaller.

Agree that it's not as intuitive as using an iPad, but once I got used to the click>hold>drag of the mouse, I haven't found it too bad. The trick is getting the zoom at the right level so that it's comfortable to read, but showing as much as possible of the page. Then there's not as much (potentially frustrating) scrolling to do.

Having said that, it's much more fun on an iPad! From what I've seen on other people's...

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
If at some future time I succumb to the iPad2 temptation, can I simply access the digital edition from my existing yearly digital subscription account?

Yep - once you have a Zinio account, you can enjoy your library on all relevant devices, via your login.

Glad you're enjoying the digital edition!

TRENDING THREADS