Demo Day Results....B&W 684, MA RX6, KEF Q500 & Q700.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Spent a great afternoon with David as Frank Harvey's today......Thanks for your patience and professionalism today, David.....[Y]

Took the wife and good home cinema enthusiast friend...

Using the Marantz CD6003 and Denon AVR 1911 we demo'd the B&W 684, MA RX6, KEF Q500 and Q700 speakers in 2 channel mode, and here are our findings:

Firstly came the MA RX6's:

Great bass punch for the size of speaker, and with nice clear high frequencies, but something was missing- the bit in the middle! This made the vocals 'hide' behind the extreme frequencies a little too much.

Next came the KEF Q500's:

These were missing the bass extension of the RX6's, but the vocals were shining through the treble detail. In fact the vocal presence and clarity was very impressive indeed. They give out the widest soundstage too, in my opinion....

Next came the B&W 684's:

Put an acoustic guitar and voice through these speakers and they are excellent. The bass extension was similar to the RX6's but the top end could go too far with female vocals. BUT......when the music got more complex, the speakers sounded very 'muddled' in comparsion to the KEF's and MA's.

So far the best pair were the KEF Q500's, but they did lack a touch of bass extension, so we put on the KEF Q700's onto the system....

These speakers are considerably bigger than the Q500's, but they sound amazing!!! Perfect blend of detail, midrange and bass extension, but in a small room the bass 'could' be too much.

And on that basis, I decided that they might be too much for my 14' x 12' lounge.....after all, the slight lack of bass on the Q500's could be helped by using my sub with music. Saying that, they might have a little more bass entension with my equipment and room acoustics at home...

So we then added the Q200c, Q400 sub and 3005 eggs to the Q500's to listen to movies.....

Watching Die hard 4.0, Phil Collins in concert and The Dark Knight these speakers were extremely good......detail, control, and a feeling of being in the middle of the action made this system so good.....

Needless to say........the KEF Q500 and Q200c's are now expected to arrive in the middle of this week, as the colour I wanted were out of stock......

A

Anonymous

nice one pete
emotion-21.gif
.. what colour did you choose? ill have a google...

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
After all that demo'ing today, we are now listening to the tv and these new speakers will be so much better than my beloved Q Acoustics......
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:Good old black oak, Max.......
emotion-5.gif
like them?

kef_q500_bo.jpg

i think the floorstanders look better than the standemounts.. they look like they have a bit of power too, ideal for movies..

will you get a stereo amp for music? i reckon the resulting sound would be much better, and worth the outlay for those kefs..

A

Anonymous

Pete, I bought blind the RX6 and RXFX, would you say the kefs are night and day better or just that you prefered them?

They do look like they should have amazing bass from the amount of speakers.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Yep...you got them.....
emotion-4.gif

No stereo amp, just going to use my Denon 2310....although you never know!!! Obviously I realise these speakers could benefit from a £500 stereo amp, but we don't spend that much time listening to 2 channel anymore...

Phase two is to add the 3005 eggs or the new, flat T101 speakers at the rear....

Like the look of the T101's but need to research them a bit to see if they work in my lounge....

A

Anonymous

well given the size of your room i think the q500's are plenty big enough, i look forward to reading your review during the week.
emotion-21.gif

btw, how did the new kef sub sound in comparison to your radience?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
canada16:

Pete, I bought blind the RX6 and RXFX, would you say the kefs are night and day better or just that you prefered them?

They do look like they should have amazing bass from the amount of speakers.

canada16,

The RX6's were good.....I liked them alot, it's just that I like the vocal midrange to be a little more prominent. Please remember these were connected to a £450 receiver, and may sound better on something more expensive. We obviously used the Denon AVR1911 cos it's the closest to my receiver, knowing my Denon will sound that little bit better......

The clarity on the RX6's was very good, and I'd have been very happy to take them home if I hadn't heard the KEF's.....

If I had a larger lounge at home, I'll be honest and say that I would have gone home with the Q700's, no doubt about it....but they are too big.

They had the RX6's bass and clarity, with the Q500's midrange and vocal expertise..... amazing!!!

Didn't hear the MA RX6's and RXFX together, but I think I'm right in thinking the RXFX's are excellent and help make the RX6 AV what it is..........

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

well given the size of your room i think the q500's are plenty big enough, i look forward to reading your review during the week.
emotion-21.gif

The KEF sub was set up to pump the bass out........OMG!!!!

David was adjusting and re adjusting it throughout the demo, as it was set a bit too high to start with.......

Both my friend and I came out thinking that maybe we have our Radiance sub's too low in volume, as the KEF knocked out the bass....

Will be re adjusting it and seeing how it performs......

As for the KEF sub...it was pretty good, in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:maxflinn:

emotion-21.gif

The KEF sub was set up to pump the bass out........OMG!!!!

David was adjusting and re adjusting it throughout the demo, as it was set a bit too high to start with.......

Both my friend and I came out thinking that maybe we have our Radiance sub's too low in volume, as the KEF knocked out the bass....

Will be re adjusting it and seeing how it performs......

As for the KEF sub...it was pretty good, in my opinion.
cheers pete. let me know if you get more out of the radience. i may attempt more tuning myself
emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I wasn't fully happy with the sub balance during the demo - I should've spent a bit longer setting it up really, but it seemed fine on DH4, but The Dark Knight didn't seem as well balanced - although it is a little heavy on bass anyway.it wasn't really the amount of bass, it was a little too much rumble.

I really wanted to use a Marantz SR7005 or Pioneer SCLX83 and show you what they were capable of! I could tell the speakers weren't giving their best - but then, I suppose you have that to look forward to
emotion-1.gif

Nice to meet you Pete, and enjoy the speakers
emotion-1.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi David,

Thanks again for a great demo session........

I'm sure the Denon 2310 will help bring out the best from these Q500's..........

You never know, adding a stereo amp or upgrading the denon might be an option in the future........

What kind of stereo amp would be suitable for these speakers? Yamaha A-S500??

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:Yes....very happy!!!!
emotion-21.gif

I was intrigued as you were comparing performance with the KEF. With some careful tuning my Radiance sub's sounding nice now. I'm hoping delivery of a Chord Crimson Plus cable on Monday will make it sound faster and tauter. Anyway, at the price I don't think any of us can complain!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash:

Pistol Pete1:Yes....very happy!!!!
emotion-21.gif

I was intrigued as you were comparing performance with the KEF. With some careful tuning my Radiance sub's sounding nice now. I'm hoping delivery of a Chord Crimson Plus cable on Monday will make it sound faster and tauter. Anyway, at the price I don't think any of us can complain!

Just comparing for Max's benefit, as he asked about it......very happy with the Radiance's performance....

And as you say, at the price, we REALLY can't complain!!!!! As well as excellent customer service when my first one decided to 'give up'.......
emotion-21.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
No problem Pete, anytime.

I did try the AS500 with the Q500's, which I wouldn't say was the best match - it sounded better with the Q700's, but it didn't quite control their bass. The Q series was originally demonstrated to us using Marantz amplification - so the PM8003 would be the one to look at ideally (KEF used the 6003 for the Q100 and Q300), and we've been running in the Q500 and Q700 with the Naim Nait 5i and Audiolab 8200A, on which they've been sounding pretty special...
emotion-1.gif

Sorry, being sidetracked by Jimi's Isle Of Wight performance on Sky Arts 1
emotion-1.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Those marantz set up's were used at the Manchester Show too.........

Typical!!! I used to own a Marantz PM6010 KI, but sold it.........
emotion-9.gif

In hindsight, it looks like that was a bad move..........
emotion-7.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts