Decent Sub Cable?

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Morning Gang

My subwoofer cable has gone home (it was a cheap £20 Cambidge Audio one I bought in a "well-known discount hifi store" some years ago) and I want to replace it. It's connecting a Denon AVR-3311 with a Monitor Audio RXW-12 sub so I'd like something decent.

I've tried to find some reviews on this site but not sure what category they fall into (analogue/digital/interconnects??). If anyone can supply me with a link to the reviews or simply recommend me some some cables I'd be grateful! I need about 5m which I presume they are all around that length anyway...?

If anyone has a good one that they would recommend I'm all ears....

A

Anonymous

I always make my own cables tbh and the cable i`m using atm is probably the best i`ve had to date.

give me a shout if you want some more info

A

Anonymous

I have tried different sub cables from QED , the performance and signature which are good , Chord also should be a good choice but have heard some people having problems with them.

At the moment I am using the QED signature on one Sub but after research bought my second Sub cable from Blue Jeans Cables which is very good and at reasonable cost, I will from now on buy all my interconnects from them.

The cable I ordered was the LC-1 from their UK website , but it is sent from Seattle US , arrived in less than 2 days , fantastic service , also some good info on the site as well

A

Anonymous

Petruchio:Thanks Lesmor - is there much difference between the signature and the Performance (other than cost!)?

I haven't done side by side comparison as my performance is 3m and won't reach , I needed 6m for new sub position ( Cable run underfloor ) so went for Signature which at the time was at a bargain price.

To be honest all this cable stuff is baloney , especially for a sub cable , just buy decent quality ,given the chance again I wouldn't have wasted my money on the Signature.

I am more than happy with the blue jeans cable , tried to sell the Signature without success and would have replaced it with another BJ, no difference in sound IMO , in fact the sub with the BJ is running with a lower gain setting , but that could be because of positioning.

I have spent a fortune over the years on expensive cables , now older and wiser ( Hopefully )

A

Anonymous

no worries, its your money after all but don`t fall into the trap that cables make a difference especially at LFE levels.

use a good screened cable and I mean good screened cable, gold plated RCAs and silver solder and you have a cable to rival anything you can buy regardless of cost

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Petrucio,

I use a QED Performance subwoofer cable and am very pleased with it.

Prior to this, I used a Chord Crimson but that caused a discernible hum in my subwoofer.

Ronald

Petruchio

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for all your advice. I think I'll go for the QED Performance.

My local HiFi store sells them, as well as the QED Performance "Miniature". This is a much thinner lead (although around the same price!) and would certainly be easier to hide in my living room. Would I get pretty much the same sound out of it as the normal QED Performance? If so I'll go for that one.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I use the QED performance miniature on my sub. No negatives as far as I'm concerned. As you say, it's a discrete cable that'll tuck down the edge of your carpet no issue.

A

Anonymous

I used thatcable which was very cheap and did the job.

Then had a Home installer make me a top notch cable, and could not hear a difference.

Stick to a good sheilded cable, the one from that cable was less than a tenner

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I used to use a QED cable and it was very good indeed, then after a change around in my room I needed a longer cable.

I had one made up at a local hifi store (to save money, itt was a lot cheaper) and I noticed no diff' in sound quality.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Another choice - I use a audioquest sub -a cable. It has a earth wire to stop potential humming also it has silver in the cable which from my impressions after trying a few cables made the bass tighter and quicker. It seemed to have a better rythum, in time with the music.

I also put vibrapods under the feet which lessen the bominess of the sub too. I compared the audioquest with the chord crimson, the crimson was slightly fuller but didnt have the tightness or the speed of the audioquest - the audioquest would probably be more enjoyable in the long run. The chord cobra 3 I tried also briefly - but is to expensive in the long run.

I also got a high quality Y cable and connected it to left and right channel of the sub which seem to add a little more output/oomph and detail.

Cheers,

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts