Dear Santa - 1500 bucks for 7 x 200 watts all at the same time

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
That's a lot of amp for $1500. One of the minor criticisms is it's not rack-mountable...what is it with America's obsession with rackmount hifi components?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
That's a lot of amp for $1500. One of the minor criticisms is it's not rack-mountable...what is it with America's obsession with rackmount hifi components?

Rack mounting is popular here because people like to put their home theatre boxes in a rack or cabinet, frequently in a separate room or closet with a dedicated cooling system. It gets hot here - 94 Fahrenheit today in Houston, and it's only just June. Also, the wives like the idea of no black boxes in the home theater (sic) room itself.

Our media room gets seriously warm. And not just from the heat put out by my boxes. It's upstairs with an attic above, and although there's supposed to be 14 inches of blown cellulose insulation (more like 10) above the ceiling, I'm adding an extra 6 inches of fiberglass insulation to the underside of the sloping roof to keep heat out, not in like I would in the UK.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site

jjbomber

Benedict_Arnold said:
jjbomber said:
i've got some bad news for you......

...... Santa doesn't exist, it's your mum and dad.

Next you'll be telling me there's no Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy....

Or that gel has finally found a telly he's happy with....

The Easter Bunny does exist, is made of chocolate and tastes delicious.

The tooth fairy does not exist in America, where babies are born with teeth like a horse and none ever fall out.

Gel has founds lots of TVs he's happy with, he just doesn't realise it and sends them back.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
About power outputs, naturally, and also, over which model this is a copy of, sorry, which older model inspired this one (ahem). And a lot of people are moaning it isn't really "Made in the USA", while forgetting their prized Harley-Davidson probably comprises over 35% of not-American-made parts...

Someone pointed out if it's producing 1400 watts RMS, with a class A/ B amplifier setup running at about 60-65% efficiency, it means its consuming 1400 x 1/0.65 = about 2.2 kW. On a 110 volt supply that's 20 amps, more than the normal 15 amp rating of a single US mains socket. Others are saying "well, you can get higher than 65% efficiency", "don't forget the power capacitors", etc. etc. I shall wait for the definitive tests.

Still, most movies don't produce peak volume over all 7 channels at once, $1500 (a thousand quid) for a 7 x 200 watt power amp still isn't bad, and all my in-wall speakers are only rated for 50 watts nominal / 150 watts max, and the room's only 19 feet x 12 foot 6", so...

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Benedict_Arnold said:
About power outputs, naturally, and also, over which model this is a copy of, sorry, which older model inspired this one (ahem). And a lot of people are moaning it isn't really "Made in the USA", while forgetting their prized Harley-Davidson probably comprises over 35% of not-American-made parts...

Someone pointed out if it's producing 1400 watts RMS, with a class A/ B amplifier setup running at about 60-65% efficiency, it means its consuming 1400 x 1/0.65 = about 2.2 kW. On a 110 volt supply that's 20 amps, more than the normal 15 amp rating of a single US mains socket. Others are saying "well, you can get higher than 65% efficiency", "don't forget the power capacitors", etc. etc. I shall wait for the definitive tests.

Still, most movies don't produce peak volume over all 7 channels at once, $1500 (a thousand quid) for a 7 x 200 watt power amp still isn't bad, and all my in-wall speakers are only rated for 50 watts nominal / 150 watts max, and the room's only 19 feet x 12 foot 6", so...

what about the Denon x4200?

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Series1boy said:
what about the Denon x4200?

What about it?

I just got a brand new Marantz SR7010, 11 channel processing / 9 channels amplified, not 9 channels processed / 7 channels ampified. Mine's hooked up to an Onkyo M-5010 75 wpc stereo power amp to drive to rear ceilings so I've got genuine 7.2.4.

Both the Marantz and the Denon (i.e. the same under the skin, probably) are so-say 125 WPC although that drops considerably when you're drving more than 2 channels at a time.

The Monoprice power amp I'm referring to is supposed to give 200 WPC into 8 ohms, and that's to all 7 channels at once.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts