Audio for two rooms

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gil

Aug 21, 2024
Visit site
I have the 6006, since 2017 and it is a good amp in its category. The 6007 will be better. It has better S/N figures, which is a weakness in the 6006 and support for a sub-woofer, if that is important to you. They also replaced the loudness button with a filter button, not that I think the filters make much difference.

So the answer, is yes, it is a better amp. How much you'd notice, I am not sure and whether it is 350 Euros better, only you can decide. You will get warranty with the new 6007.

I don't know anything about the Denon but it did get good reviews, back in the day. Denon and Marantz come from the same stable but generally a similarly priced amp will perform better than an AVR, because the AVR has many extra components to include in the price. It depends really one whether music or TV is more important to you.

Rather than a Bluetooth device, I'd look at one of the Wiim devices, particularly the Pro or Pro Plus. They have Bluetooth, transmitter and receiver and Chromecast, Airplay and support for most streaming services. I'm running a Wiim Pro through the 6006 Co-axial and recommend it. You'd still have 2 optical ports to connect TV etc to.

I have a Wiim Mini connected to another system and it is OK, as long as you don't need Chromecast.

Music will be more important than TV for me. I will only have a 2 x 2 speakers system, plus, eventually, a sub-woofer at some point. I chose the Polk ES20 also because thy seem to have very good bass, hoping that a sub will not be necessary.

Even if the music will be more important than TV, I still need to drive a dvd reader, a google chromecast end a console. That would be 3 hdmi's. Also I would need t a bluetooth. So, practically an AVR would be better.

The alternative to an AVR would be :
- buy a 3-way hdmi switch ;
- buy an hdmi audio extractor with optical/coaxial output ;
- buy a bluetooth device (receiver only is enough).

What I can't understand is if the audio quality gain with, say, a marantz pm6007 instead of a similar price AVR is worth adding all this stuff to the system.
Otherwise, does it exist some kind audio/video commutator capable of doing all this ?

Last edited:

DCarmi

An HDMI switch is not necessarily an expensive component.
You seem to already have Chromecast so Bluetooth seems redundant but again a Bluetooth dongle does not need to be hugely expensive (and I still say a Wiim would be better).

In terms of your apparent requirements:
PM6007 is a better amp but will cost more.

The Denon AVR was reviewed well back in 2016, so it is about the same vintage as the PM6006. It does do Bluetooth and it has all the connections you need and more than you want.

I can't tell you what the relative sound quality will be between these devices and whether you'd notice a big difference.

Check reviews and manuals for these devices. This site has reviews of all 3 and manuals are available on the manufacturers web site.

Given you've thrown a console into the mix, then the AVR makes a bit more sense.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts