Dead Amp wanted - Hifi junk?

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm thinking about building a passive pre-amp that might include a DAC, a few RCA inputs and a remote controlled volume control. One of the issues is the enclosure and I was thinking that an old integrated amp box that doesn't work any more (so it's of little value) would be a reasonable starting point.

Just wondering where to source such a thing? On eBay, non-working things seem to attract a bizarrely high price, so I was wondering if car boot sales might be a better bet? Or somewhere else (maybe some hifi forums have places to list such things).

Samd

Don't know if you're in UK but Richer Sounds take items in part ex and donate them to charity. I'm sure they would let you have an amp were you to contribute to their charity.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
Samd said:
Don't know if you're in UK but Richer Sounds take items in part ex and donate them to charity. I'm sure they would let you have an amp were you to contribute to their charity.

Wow! I didn't know that.... Cheers

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
shadders said:
If you search for "amplifier enclosure diy" you can see some cheap enclosures which look ok for £29.

Oh yes - not bad, but I think if I'm lucky, I'd find something better (with RCA's included) in an old amp. If not, then that's better than anything else I've stumbled across... ;-)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Try car boots, but it's not the season for them, or at least it isn't in the Frozen North, now that the clocks have gone back.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Amplifiers-Pre-Amps/14970/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw&_sop=2&LH_ItemCondition=2500%7C3000%7C7000%7C10&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

You should be able to pick up a working or non-working amp for 99 pence. Just pick one that's close to you so you can pick it up to save on postage costs.

Freecycle as well.

Looks like there's a few amplifiers for about £1 that'd have a good chance of sounding at least as good as my Creek CAS4040 - should you change your mind and decide to go for a turnkey solution instead of DIY.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts