Dac advice

adp6003

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone!

I have Marrantz PM6003/CD6003 bi-wired to Monitor audio BX6 with QED silver anniversary.

Can anyone offer some sage advice with regard to which DAC would be a good fit for this system?

Currently thinking Meridian Explorer or Arcam irDAC, though I note that Richer Sounds have just reduced the Dragonfly.

I would say the sound of my system is "warm" and I don't want to push it toward woolly so perhaps the Fly might be the ticket?

I listen to a wide variety of music via Spotty premium.

Thanks in advance

skyehound

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Have a look at the M2Tech Hiface 2 USB DAC. This handles files up to 32/384, which is as high as you can feasibly go at the moment. Its a "USB Dongle" type, similar to the Dragonfly. I bought one around two weeks ago to replace a cheap SMSL DAC and slotted it into my budget system (Asus laptop running JRiver Media Centre 18, Pioneer A-20 amp, Revolver Audio Music One speakers, Audioquest cables/connects). So far I have been very impressed. The high quality files are fantastic, which is pretty much what I had hoped for, but the big suprise has been the tangible improvement to Spotify streamed music. HQ streaming at 320kb sounds superb with this DAC, a real step up and an enjoyable listen. For the record I got the Audioquest Dragontail USB extension lead to connect the DAC to the laptop as it looked a little vulnerable just sticking out of the side. There are a lot of reviews out there suggesting it is significantly better than the Dragonfly, but having never heard the latter, I could not say for sure.

adamrobertshaw

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The Dragonfly is a 3.5mm jack to twin RCA analogue in. It can automatically switch to fixed line level.

It is a bit lively and uncouth at times. I also thought it introduced a fair bit of gain on the input signal, probably to keep headphone listening just as lively.

The Explorer DAC works the same way when using analogue out. But the Director DAC has left/right RCA analogue out (at twice the price).

I am also considering a DAC upgrade but I'm reluctant to dive in wiithout being sure of getting real sonic benefit and also acquiring some future proofing for high res music conversion.

I keep mulling over TEAC 501 and the QuteHD. They'll probably be trumped a week after I get the credit card out. :doh:

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
adp6003 said:
Hi everyone!

I have Marrantz PM6003/CD6003 bi-wired to Monitor audio BX6 with QED silver anniversary.

Can anyone offer some sage advice with regard to which DAC would be a good fit for this system?

Currently thinking Meridian Explorer or Arcam irDAC, though I note that Richer Sounds have just reduced the Dragonfly.

I would say the sound of my system is "warm" and I don't want to push it toward woolly so perhaps the Fly might be the ticket?

Thanks in advance

The matrix mini i-DAC would be the one to look at. A bundle of connectivity and functions that you'll be hard pressed to match at this price. If you are considering spending QuteHD money on a DAC, just get a Benchmark DAC, they are reference quality.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Overdose said:
adp6003 said:
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance

just get a Benchmark DAC, they are reference quality.

Agreed but they are very unforgiving of suspect recordings

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Overdose said:
adp6003 said:
Hi everyone!

Thanks in advance

just get a Benchmark DAC, they are reference quality.

Agreed but they are very unforgiving of suspect recordings

You mean that they are acurate? Agreed, they are, but if you want a DAC that audibly affects the sound of 'suspect' recordings, it will also do so to good ones.

You can't have it both ways, DACs don't work like that.

Just place a blanket, veil or whatever other cliched piece of cloth you have to hand, over your speakers et voila, it will be just like using a much less capable DAC in the first place. When the music switches to a better recording, you can just lift said veil and all without spending any extra money.

TRENDING THREADS