ADM9RS or good British passive system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
JohnBr said:
Please can you elaborate?

I can. By "them" they mean the company, not the speakers. The bass is by far the most common criticism I hear about the dpeakers themselves. Indeed, I'm not sure I could mention another common one. I don't care too much for bass, but those who do, do, and that is their taste/want/prerogative/whatever.

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
remember that the Naim/Spendor/Harbeth etc systems will probably outperform the AVIs, simply because their component parts are more expensive

Yes, it really is as simple as this lemon says.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
byakuya83 said:
altruistic.lemon said:
remember that the Naim/Spendor/Harbeth etc systems will probably outperform the AVIs, simply because their component parts are more expensive

Except that it isn't true, it doesn't follow and is a comment made more than likely out of some lasting grudge.

It's well known that Ashley James and myself do not see eye to eye on much, but there is no doubting the quality of the speakers Avi make.

If you are after a system for under £2000 and you want stand mounts, then you won't get better SQ than with a pair of ADM9RS.

I don't agree they outperform everything and I reckon you may get a better sound if you spend 2 or more times more on passives. By better I mean "preferable" of course.

You can get a similar performance for similar money if you buy studio monitors. I have listened to quite a few and I reckon the similar sized Genelecs are on a par, albeit with a quite different presentation...But then they are more expensive, and require a DAC/Preamp.

As for the Avi sub. It's pretty small. Smaller than my BK XXLS 400. Subs much smaller aren't often particularly "subby" :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
More people might get interested in buying ADMs if their corrrect price was quoted. (£1250?)

Quite often I see others doing what fr0g has just done...

"If you are after a system for under £2000 and you want stand mounts, then you won't get better SQ than with a pair of ADM9RS."

To me 'under £2000' is £1995 or £1999 or some similar figure. (Normal retail practice.)

A lot of people surf this forum who are not 'in the know' about all things AVI and they may not bother investigating a "system for under £2000" but could get very interested in the ADM9s if they were described as "a system for £1250" instead. (Yes, the £750 difference between the two descriptions is a significant sum of money to a lot of people and could easily make a difference.)

Just trying to help.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
byakuya83 said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Except that it isn't true, it doesn't follow and is a comment made more than likely out of some lasting grudge.

It's well known that Ashley James and myself do not see eye to eye on much, but there is no doubting the quality of the speakers Avi make.

If you are after a system for under £2000 and you want stand mounts, then you won't get better SQ than with a pair of ADM9RS.

I don't agree they outperform everything and I reckon you may get a better sound if you spend 2 or more times more on passives. By better I mean "preferable" of course.

You can get a similar performance for similar money if you buy studio monitors. I have listened to quite a few and I reckon the similar sized Genelecs are on a par, albeit with a quite different presentation...But then they are more expensive, and require a DAC/Preamp.

As for the Avi sub. It's pretty small. Smaller than my BK XXLS 400. Subs much smaller aren't often particularly "subby" :)
No grudge, and many of the systems mentioned would knock the AVIs into a cocked hat. In the end they're compromised small speakers which are unlikely to compete at the £2000 mark, better quality will out. Don't doubt that they sound good at their price at all.

Even the sainted Ashley grudgingly admitted my Maggies would sound better.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
If you're seriously interested in a good British set up, you won't go far wrong with the Sugden A21 and a pair of Harbeth P3ESR, plus it would be perfect for your taste in music.

Mac

Mac,

with the Sugden A21, would your preference be for Harbeth or Proac?

I appreciate this is a bit like asking the Pope if he's a catholic. ;) But the Sugden-Proac combo is said to be great and arguably with Proac you get more speaker (in purely physical terms) for you money. I know that's a very crude measure.

Cheers

Matt

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
Macspur said:
If you're seriously interested in a good British set up, you won't go far wrong with the Sugden A21 and a pair of Harbeth P3ESR, plus it would be perfect for your taste in music.

Mac

Mac,

with the Sugden A21, would your preference be for Harbeth or Proac?

I appreciate this is a bit like asking the Pope if he's a catholic. ;) But the Sugden-Proac combo is said to be great and arguably with Proac you get more speaker (in purely physical terms) for you money. I know that's a very crude measure.

Cheers

Matt

Good question Matt!

The only ProAcs I've owned were the floor stander Studio130 and I really did love those speakers... I did home demo the Response D18, but for the extra money I didn't feel the improvement in SQ warrented the outlay.

As for Harbeth, well, for me, they are not too disimelar to ProAc, but are just that much more balanced and able to handle a wider variety of music, giving more natural clarity, seperation and depth.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Didn't do any quoting at all, not able to. Speaking from memory the only negative Ashley could think of was the narrowness of the stereo image, otherwise he acknowledged panel designs have advantages.

Given the never-ending tirade against passive designs of his webite, and his continual assertions that any active will beat any passive, that's pretty damn good if you ask me. Worth trying a listen yourself if you haven't, panels can be revelations for many types of music.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Didn't do any quoting at all, not able to. Speaking from memory the only negative Ashley could think of was the narrowness of the stereo image, otherwise he acknowledged panel designs have advantages.

Given the never-ending tirade against passive designs of his webite, and his continual assertions that any active will beat any passive, that's pretty damn good if you ask me. Worth trying a listen yourself if you haven't, panels can be revelations for many types of music.

To put the record straight he said "Of course Magnaplanars can be matched and exceeded in clarity, dynamic range, bass reproduction, dispersion and pinpoint imagery and ADMs do it". I can't see anywhere he said Maggies were better.

He also said that in an enormous room with decent American amps they (maggies) are special. But I guess you won't get that for under £3,000?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Your last sentence implies that he thought them special, does it not? He seems unaware of their requirements for positioning, room size and amplification - do you know if he has actually heard them in a domestic situation?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't give a toss. His opinions are seldom worth hearing, if you didn't know that already
smile.png

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Couldn't give a toss. His opinions are seldom worth hearing, if you didn't know that already
smile.png

Then why do you follow this company and it's staff and it's web forum (and what is said by whom) so very closely?

You also dive in - without fail - to any related threads here. Odd given that you don't give a ....

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Lemon, it seems you obsess over AVI and Ashley. JohnBr, where are you based? The AVI crowd are a friendly bunch and open to giving demonstrations.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
Good question Matt!

The only ProAcs I've owned were the floor stander Studio130 and I really did love those speakers... I did home demo the Response D18, but for the extra money I didn't feel the improvement in SQ warrented the outlay.

As for Harbeth, well, for me, they are not too disimelar to ProAc, but are just that much more balanced and able to handle a wider variety of music, giving more natural clarity, seperation and depth.

Mac

@JohnBr

If I were in your position I'd be looking for a second-hand amp. The Sugden A21a mentioned by Mac is wonderful. They come up occasionally in the classifieds on Hifi Wigwam and PFM.

As for speakers, apart from Harbeth and Proac, I'd try to get a listen to some Kudos, Neat (eg Momentum 3i), Spendor, and Marshall Choong.

@Mac

I'd forgotten you'd had the Proacs.

Cheers,

Matt

J

jcbrum

chebby said:
More people might get interested in buying ADMs if their corrrect price was quoted. (£1250?)

Quite often I see others doing what fr0g has just done...

"If you are after a system for under £2000 and you want stand mounts, then you won't get better SQ than with a pair of ADM9RS."

To me 'under £2000' is £1995 or £1999 or some similar figure. (Normal retail practice.)

A lot of people surf this forum who are not 'in the know' about all things AVI and they may not bother investigating a "system for under £2000" but could get very interested in the ADM9s if they were described as "a system for £1250" instead. (Yes, the £750 difference between the two descriptions is a significant sum of money to a lot of people and could easily make a difference.)

Just trying to help.

I think, Chebby, That the reason many quote 'under £2000' for an ADM9 system, is that the price including the sub-woofer [/b]is a little under £2000.

The latest ADM9RS, which on their own are not bass light, is as you say £1250.

Preferences regarding bass differ according to musical taste (RAP, club style, etc), and the need to accomodate low frequency sound effects from movie sounds.

Some peope think that the full ADM9 system (inc sub) as originally designed seven years ago, is the one to go for, but there was a major revision of the ADM9 system following the ADM9RS model which improved low bass response considerably, and consequently many users do not require the sub.

JC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts