ADM9RS or good British passive system?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JohnBr

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Matt,

I have managed to do lots of listening during my week off.

Proac D1 - Great detail, smooth sound

Harbeth P3esr - Probably preferred these, although a bit less obvious high frequency detail compared to the Proac, but a more realistic sound.

Spendor (small bookshelf) - Similar to Harbeth but sounded more mellow.

Seeing them in the flesh, I'm reluctant to go any bigger than these models.

I listened to the AVI 9RS. Yes, these are very good for the money. Very clear definition of the different parts of the track. Didn't sound as sparkly as the Proac or Harbeth though. Didn't find the bass too light really.

I think it comes down to the Harbeth P3esr and initially a fairly basic amplifier (with ample power) or the AVI. I warmed to these two options the most.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
JohnBr said:
Thanks Matt,

Harbeth P3esr - Probably preferred these, although a bit less obvious high frequency detail compared to the Proac, but a more realistic sound.

I listened to the AVI 9RS. Yes, these are very good for the money. Very clear definition of the different parts of the track. Didn't sound as sparkly as the Proac or Harbeth though. Didn't find the bass too light really.

I think it comes down to the Harbeth P3esr and initially a fairly basic amplifier (with ample power) or the AVI. I warmed to these two options the most.

That was quick, where did you manage to hear them?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
JohnBr said:
Thanks Matt,

Sounds like you've been busy!

I think either would be a very good purchase. I've heard both, and I agree with your verdict. I do think Harbeths have something magically natural about them.

Cheers,

Matt

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Phileas said:
Hmm, to me, sparkle sounds like distortion.

Ashley James once said:
The very low crossover point with (sic) make the top "sparkle" and now the 9RSS actually have more bass than the Dynaudios, so prove that what we've been saying all along is correct.

Which highlights the problem with using ill defined, everyday vocabulary to describe sound. :)

But I'm impressed with your extensive knowledge of the sayings of Ashley James.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
JohnBr said:
Thanks Matt,

Nice work... as a matter of interest, which amp did you hear the Harbeths with?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Agreed. However, I'm not sure sparkle=distortion is necessarily received wisdom. Thanks. Keep your friends close, I say.

Sun Tzu.

I think "enemies" is a touch harsh mind you.

T

the record spot

John Duncan said:
Agreed. However, I'm not sure sparkle=distortion is necessarily received wisdom. Thanks. Keep your friends close, I say.

Ha! That made me chuckle. Nice quip JD. :)

atticus

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
I joined WHF for advice back in Nov 2011, see here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/am-i-going-wrong-somewhere-your-advice-and-views-please

I've 'kept in touch' since then, having bought the ADM 40's.

I know Ashley James does not mince his words, and is often 'disrespectful' of the established brands; but frankly, a degree of honesty and a lack of obfuscation is very refreshing.

I've stopped 'worrying' about my gear since I bought the ADM 40's, and started listening to the music once again.

You might find a better 'British Passive System' than the ADM9RSS, but I seriously doubt it; if you've got the time and inclination to fiddle about and chop and change (I don't), then by all means, please feedback to us. My money's on the ADM's.

Let's stop the personal attacks, please. We all court controversy with differing views, especially those strongly expressed; if this offends you, then please take a number and deal with it; just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ashley is a nice chap (there, I've said it); I feel confident that if those of you who are so quick to take issue with his 'pronouncements' should meet him - you'd all get on with him immediately. He is one of the most warm-hearted people it has been my pleasure to meet.

He's big on AVi and not so keen on the 'established players'? Well, guess what, that's his job. I'm sure the established players can handle themselves, and if he's wrong, then who cares. If the established players produce kit that is so much better, then the truth will out and nobody would care what Ash says.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that (at present), AVi HiFi offer the best sound quality per £ (or €, or $) that can be had. I'm happy, and, more importantly, the mem-sahib is happy.

When I spend my money, I like to think that the bulk of it is paying for the component parts of what I'm buying; and not for the associated Marketing, Salespeople and Head Office overheads.

And that's speaking as someone who works in Marketing.

markiedee

Feb 24, 2009
Visit site
There was a point when i was interested in avi speakers i even tried to sign up to there forum but on to occasions i was rejected, god knows why. I wanted to ask questions and find out how they would handle r'n'b and hip hop music but i don't think i will ever know.

theres also mixed reviews and comments on here about them and i will agree that Ashley fella tends to think that his speakers are better many others. I heard a few actives that i really am a fan of and those company's are b&0 and meridian. The beolab 9s, 5s and the new 17s are all amazing sounding speakers.

the meridian dsp 5200s and 8000s are also amazing speakers, there audio core 200 system with the bookshelf actives sound amazing with great timing clarity punch bass and definition, and I would recommend anybody to hear it.

If i had the funds that would be my system.

johngw

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
atticus said:
I joined WHF for advice back in Nov 2011, see here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/am-i-going-wrong-somewhere-your-advice-and-views-please

I've 'kept in touch' since then, having bought the ADM 40's.

I know Ashley James does not mince his words, and is often 'disrespectful' of the established brands; but frankly, a degree of honesty and a lack of obfuscation is very refreshing.

I've stopped 'worrying' about my gear since I bought the ADM 40's, and started listening to the music once again.

You might find a better 'British Passive System' than the ADM9RSS, but I seriously doubt it; if you've got the time and inclination to fiddle about and chop and change (I don't), then by all means, please feedback to us. My money's on the ADM's.

Let's stop the personal attacks, please. We all court controversy with differing views, especially those strongly expressed; if this offends you, then please take a number and deal with it; just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ashley is a nice chap (there, I've said it); I feel confident that if those of you who are so quick to take issue with his 'pronouncements' should meet him - you'd all get on with him immediately. He is one of the most warm-hearted people it has been my pleasure to meet.

He's big on AVi and not so keen on the 'established players'? Well, guess what, that's his job. I'm sure the established players can handle themselves, and if he's wrong, then who cares. If the established players produce kit that is so much better, then the truth will out and nobody would care what Ash says.

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that (at present), AVi HiFi offer the best sound quality per £ (or €, or $) that can be had. I'm happy, and, more importantly, the mem-sahib is happy.

When I spend my money, I like to think that the bulk of it is paying for the component parts of what I'm buying; and not for the associated Marketing, Salespeople and Head Office overheads.

And that's speaking as someone who works in Marketing.

That came a little out of the blue - 11 day old thread, bumped to the top of the stack with a defense piece for Mr James' and his character?

I agree that the current line of products are interesting and offer good value for money.

As for the personal attacks, I don't know or ever met the chap in person, but as far as his forum activities, frankly he gets back what he deserves. Do you think this [LINK REMOVED - house rules] type of activity helps? That was on a quick browse on his forum. I say treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. With regards to informational value and "honesty and lack of obfuscation", although I agree to an extent, the signal-to-noise ratio is low. There is a strong and very apparent undercurrent of product placement which severely compromises the integrity of the "facts" delivered (often in a forceful way).

(9.1 is not bass light, it's about perfect, however nobody understands bass -> our new 9.1 has much better bass from better drivers; any speaker needs a least 200W on tap in order not to clip and compress -> 50W in our new range is absolutely enough; class D sucks -> class D is at the heart of our new flagship product; all DACs sound the same -> we've upgraded the DAC in our 9.1 speakers with audible benefits; magazine reviews are useless -> look at this great review of the N5 2.1 system, it must be good! etc etc).

Just my opinion of course. I agree there is no need for personal attacks - Mr James should take this to heart too - but his professional conduct and some of the strong rhetoric that comes out of the company should be scrutinized just like he would expect towards any other manufacturer.

T

the record spot

Heh. Yes, never let the facts get in the way of new product design. Not ventured into that little padded cell for a while, but while Atticus might say all he does about Mr J, and I've experienced his generosity in sending up a volume pot for an amp I had two or three years back, the public image, which is what most people will go on, says it all. Whether that paints a true or false image is neither here nor there. The behaviour both on here and other forums makes his and his sidekicks' comments ring rather hollow.

They must think we're clueless or something. :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
johngw said:
As for the personal attacks, I don't know or ever met the chap in person, but as far as his forum activities, frankly he gets back what he deserves. Do you think this [LINK REMOVED - house rules] type of activity helps? That was on a quick browse on his forum. I say treat others as you would like to be treated yourself. With regards to informational value and "honesty and lack of obfuscation", although I agree to an extent, the signal-to-noise ratio is low. There is a strong and very apparent undercurrent of product placement which severely compromises the integrity of the "facts" delivered (often in a forceful way).

Quite right that the link was removed. Anyone who clicked through could have seen something that might make them wonder whether Ashley James is a jolly nice chap after all. I hope he deletes the post. But for me, it’s too late …

J

jcbrum

Is WHFS&V going to review AVI DM5 monitors ?

Or the current model ADM9RS, which is a significant revision of the previous 9T model (which they reviewed favourably) ?

JC

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:

Or the current model ADM9RS, which is a significant revision of the previous 9T model (which they reviewed favourably) ?

JC

I'm sure they would, if the manufacturer submits a review sample. I'd certainly be interested in reading their review.

J

jcbrum

I don't think AVI make any provision for review samples. Previously reviewed models have been purchased from normal sales stocks, irrc.

JC

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
jcbrum said:

JC

no. we all know it's outstanding.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
jcbrum said:
I don't think AVI make any provision for review samples. Previously reviewed models have been purchased from normal sales stocks, irrc.

JC

Sure, but IMO WHF shouldn't go that route again. If the manufacturer refuses to submit a sample for review, then no review should be done. I'm sure AVI is doing quite well and can aford to maintain even just 1 sample to send around to major mags for review. The issue is that AVI doesn't want to... So I think the approach should be to encourage Ashley to submit a sample, not for WHF to go out and buy one...

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
jcbrum said:

JC

Subjective reviews are irrelevant.

Ashley James once said:
A Five Star review from WHF that we didn't want done produced not one single enquiry!

Magazines are not as influential as customers opinions on the net are now.

His bold.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts