ADM9RS or good British passive system?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
I don't think AVI make any provision for review samples. Previously reviewed models have been purchased from normal sales stocks, irrc.

JC

More the exception than the rule. I'm sure AVI can find a pair to supply. Of course the print side is of little significance...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Anyone notice the poor old OP John Br hasn't been back for a while... probably bored the pants off him.

smiley-smile.gif

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Ajani said:
jcbrum said:
I don't think AVI make any provision for review samples. Previously reviewed models have been purchased from normal sales stocks, irrc.

JC

Sure, but IMO WHF shouldn't go that route again. If the manufacturer refuses to submit a sample for review, then no review should be done. I'm sure AVI is doing quite well and can aford to maintain even just 1 sample to send around to major mags for review. The issue is that AVI doesn't want to... So I think the approach should be to encourage Ashley to submit a sample, not for WHF to go out and buy one...

I don't think WHF should rely solely on man. samples to test, they should review the leading hifi products, for example one of the best amps under £1,000 has not been reviewed, its all very well saying the Arcam A19 is the best amp when you have reviewed the Creek 50A. Maybe Creek don't trust WHF reviews? Also this method can have a very unbalanced coverage, with some brands covered entirely and others none or hardly any at all.

J

jcbrum

the record spot said:
jcbrum said:

JC

More the exception than the rule . . .

Far from it. The Consumers' Association, who review many products in their magazine 'Which', do not depend on freebies for evaluation. They purchase products from the usual channels in the same way as their consumers.

JC

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Be nice to see a comparison test featuring the new Epos speakers, the Nuberts, the Quads and the Dynaudio Xeos range. They seem to be at the cutting edge of Active speaker technology now.

Oh, and the AVIs too, though they lack the features of the others.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Be nice to see a comparison test featuring the new Epos speakers, the Nuberts, the Quads and the Dynaudio Xeos range. They seem to be at the cutting edge of Active speaker technology now.

Oh, and the AVIs too, though they lack the features of the others.

Very gracious of you Al, my new, for 2014, mellow relaxed and non confrontational manner must be rubbing off on you....... ;)

T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
the record spot said:
jcbrum said:

JC

Far from it. The Consumers' Association, who review many products in their magazine 'Which', do not depend on freebies for evaluation. They purchase products from the usual channels in the same way as their consumers.

JC

Feel free when you're cherry picking my comments to indicate the original context as well the bit you're lifting JC. Clearly, I was referring to the magazine.

The Consumers Association has something of a larger budget I'd imagine and likely a wide readership.

J

jcbrum

Apologies, if you feel misquoted, RS. It seemed the relevent bit, to me.

Your full post is contained in the thread, nearby, for all to read, so can hardly be missed by interested readers.

Clearly, we were both referring to magazine reviews.

Don't feel bad about it. :)

JC

daveh75

jcbrum said:
the record spot said:
jcbrum said:

JC

JC

A charity funded by its commercial arm, that has 900,000 subscribers paying a tenner month.

But you already knew that...

J

jcbrum

John Duncan said:
lpv said:
jcbrum said:
Is WHFS&V going to review AVI DM5 monitors ?

Or the current model ADM9RS, which is a significant revision of the previous 9T model (which they reviewed favourably) ?

JC

no. we all know it's outstanding.

Better than the Naim Statement with any passive speaker, apparently.

Interestingly, Ashley James has answered your suggestion, directly, in the 'New products in development' thread on the AVI forum. See post #563.

There's also a photo of a first prototype of another new model, about the size of a 1 litre juice carton.

JC

J

jcbrum

I reckon that AVI's contention that their DM5 loudspeakers sound better than Naim Statement on Harbeth P3s is a very interesting one, since the DM5s cost £699 and Naim + Harbeths cost about £120,000.

It could make a very interesting comparitive review for WHF magazine. Particularly if the review contained both subjective and objective analysis, from and independent standpoint.

JC

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
But "sounds better" is such a subjective comment, is it really relevant? After all, I could happily state I believe this sounds better than the AVIs. Who knows I might even be telling the truth?

I would have thought someone like Ashley would have produced some graphs to prove that the AVIs sounded better. So that I could look at those rather than listening to the speakers. After all, who wants to listen to music when there's graphs to look at?

JMacMan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
professorhat said:
But "sounds better" is such a subjective comment, is it really relevant? After all, I could happily state I believe this sounds better than the AVIs. Who knows I might even be telling the truth?

I would have thought someone like Ashley would have produced some graphs to prove that the AVIs sounded better. So that I could look at those rather than listening to the speakers. After all, who wants to listen to music when there's graphs to look at?

One also needs to qualify what is meant by 'better'.

Better overall?

Better in specific areas?

Better, as in a carefully controlled blind ABX test, vis a vis live music, one setup more faithfully re-creates the live event than the other.

OR, Better, as in, I like it more, OR it does a similar job for vastly less money etc.

But it would be an interesting comparison....

JMac
smiley-cool.gif

J

jcbrum

If the products cost more than £100,000 difference in price, yet the expensive one sounds worse, - then, yes, I think it is relevent !

JC

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
To be fair. I don't think it's meant as a 100% serious comment.

Two very different markets/buyer.

Maybe Naim have been a bit Tongue in cheek calling it The Statement, as I can see it being used as much as a declaration of wealth as it is for it's musical performance.

J

jcbrum

JMacMan said:
But it would be an interesting comparison....

JMac
smiley-cool.gif

There you go, JD. See whether you can get the WHF team to find out if they could do it ?

JC

J

jcbrum

richardw42 said:
To be fair. I don't think it's meant as a 100% serious comment.

I don't see why not ? It's just an amplifier driving passive loudspeakers.

JC

stevenjonas

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
I spent a lot of time, last year, listening to these speakers, with & without a sub woofer. I found their sound too light without the sub, but with it I found them amazing value for money. Moving up the scale, I then went to ATC's factory & spent an afternoon listening to their SCM 50 active & passive speakers. Even better & much more expensive. I still haven't worked out what to do! You just have to book listening appointments & take your own music. Listen, listen & listen some more! Then get confused & do nothing. That appears to be what i do (or don't do). :exmark:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts