headphone advice

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hello to anyone reading this. I need some advice regarding the purchase of headphones, I've decided to get a good pair of cans so I can listen to my music at night without annoying my wife...

The trouble is I've never looked into headphones before and the amount of choices on offer are overwhelming. I'm going to be useing the headphones to listen to music from my laptop ( some flac files but mostly spotify on extreme setting) I will also be using my android phone on occasion. I've narrowed my choice down to: B and W p5, B and O h6 and Ssen he650, does anyone have any experience using these or can anyone make other suggestions.

Lastly, do I need to by a headphone amp or will a Dac be ok. I've been looking at the Meridian explorer and dragonfly usb dacs. Thank you for any feedback.

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
If they are mainly for at home you want open, ie HD600 (not 650), maybe Beyer DT880 or Grado,

Outside with your phone you'll need a closed phone ie Beyer DT1350, or VModa XS, what's the budget and what's most important to you, sound quality or comfort?

The P5 I think is a lousy headphone, avoid, all bass, and little treble, the new B&Os are good but overpriced the HD650 is a bass boomy version of the 600, which to me sounds better.

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I would say that sound quality is the most important thing. They will be used at home so open headphones are probably best, but I don't want to disturb anyone either so was considering closed headphones.

The budget is £500 max, but that will include a usb dac, have you hear the Nad viso hd50...

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
It's most unusual for someone who has never looked into headphones to use the term 'cans'. I'm curious how the use of that term came about? Close friends with headphones?

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
It's most unusual for someone who has never looked into headphones to use the term 'cans'. I'm curious how the use of that term came about? Close friends with headphones?

Everybody in the world I'm in - theatre, TV, film and live events - calls them 'cans' or 'in ears' as applicable, so when I, in my ignorance, used that term on a headphone forum I was told in no uncertain terms that they were 'headphones'.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
pauln said:
dalethorn said:

Everybody in the world I'm in - theatre, TV, film and live events - calls them 'cans' or 'in ears' as applicable, so when I, in my ignorance, used that term on a headphone forum I was told in no uncertain terms that they were 'headphones'.

Of course they do, having "looked into" the subject, but this OP didn't. None of the people I know use the term, and I never have either with my experience. It's a term for people who are very familiar with headphones. Perhaps you could allow the OP to comment....

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
dalethorn said:
pauln said:
dalethorn said:

Of course they do, having "looked into" the subject, but this OP didn't. None of the people I know use the term, and I never have either with my experience. It's a term for people who are very familiar with headphones. Perhaps you could allow the OP to comment....

I'm just adding something to the conversation Dale. I think that's allowed on a forum. Does my comment somehow prevent the OP from commenting also?

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Gonepostal said:
Well I hope I haven't offended anybody. I probably picked the word up from someone in conversation or possible from a movie or book.I hope that's cleared everything up lol.

It does, yes, and don't worry about anyone being offended. It's just a pretense. BTW, did you find what you need?

Gonepostal

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I did, cheers..ive decided to buy closed 'cans so that i dont annoy anyone when im listening to them..ive pretty much decided on the; B and O H6, Nad viso or KEF m500.. will try to listen to them at some point..im also looking at the cambridge dac magic xs..

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Gonepostal said:
I did, cheers..ive decided to buy closed 'cans so that i dont annoy anyone when im listening to them..ive pretty much decided on the; B and O H6, Nad viso or KEF m500.. will try to listen to them at some point..im also looking at the cambridge dac magic xs..

I haven't heard the M500 or the HP50 (I have the H6), so any impressions you have, if you can share them, would be good.

TRENDING THREADS