Cyrus Lyric 9 and Sonos

sqc33

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can help me!

we have just purchased a Cyrus Lyric 9 and speakers and told the salesman we wanted an additional wireless speaker for another room which would play the same output as the Lyric. He has sold us a Sonos bridge and Play 5 but when we struggled to hear output from the Lyric in the other room (kitchen) and asked for help, he said that the Sonos was a separate system. We scoured the internet for help and decided that we needed a Sonos Connect which we have purchased today. This is now plugged into the Lyric, the bridge is the router but we still cannot get Lyric to play via the Sonos. Are we doing it wrong? We might have connected wrong, happy to admit that, but don't think so - we have tried every possible combination now. We just want to use the Play 5 as an extra speaker but everything we try to do seems to be the Sonos controlling everything and we want the Lyric to do that.

does that make sense? Any advice would be so very welcome. At the moment, we'd like to persevere with this kit but could change if totally necessary.

sue

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
As far as I understand the Lyric is a complete system, just add speakers. Sonos is different system and will not enable the output of the Cyrus to be played in another room. A play 5 and a sonos bridge form a complete system in there own right. It is not possible to play the Lyric over sonos to another room.

sqc33

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi Crossie

many thanks for your response - I was beginning to fear this. Do you know if we will be able to connect any other wireless speakers to the Lyric?

thanks

Sue

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The Lyric does not appear to be multiroom capable.

If you are able to do so, I would return it and think again, it simply does not do what you are asking.

A full Sonos system will do everything controlled from an iPad. Use the Connect in your main room, wired directly to your router, or wirelessly via the Bridge, the results are the same. Wire your choice of amp and speakers to the Connect for your main system, the Play speakers should then work pretty much anywhere in the house.

Talk to your dealer and find out what amps he can supply instead of the Lyric. BTW what speakers do you have?

sqc33

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi davedotco

oh dear, I hoped you wouldn't say that but thanks for doing so anyway! The Lyric sounds fab with our new Bowers & Wilkins speakers (wired)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
sqc33 said:
Hi Crossie

many thanks for your response - I was beginning to fear this. Do you know if we will be able to connect any other wireless speakers to the Lyric?

thanks

Sue

No. The Lyric is simply not designed to do this.

If you want to keep wiring to the absolute minimum you could look at wireless speakers such as the Dynaudio Xeo 5 which will work from the Connect. The only problem is that you will have to control your Sonos and Xeo with two separate remote controls. Messy I think.

Just buy a really nice amplifier and a pair of speakers, preset the amp, hide it away if you like and control everything from an iPad (or Android tablet) with the Sonos app.

Let us know what options are open to you.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
sqc33 said:
Hi davedotco

oh dear, I hoped you wouldn't say that but thanks for doing so anyway! The Lyric sounds fab with our new Bowers & Wilkins speakers (wired)

OK, Post crossed.

If you can simply return the Lyric and get a really nice amplifier. All the control and functionality them moves to the Connect which can be hidden, as can the amp. If you want it on show, then just get something that sounds good and is pretty, loads of choice.

sqc33

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for,this advice guys. What we are trying to do is this:

in our main living room we want hifi kit and speakers which can play internet radio, iPod (both classic and iPhone etc) and ideally CDs (although that is not essential). We then want a wireless speaker in the kitchen which will play the output from the living room. I come home from work and put the radio on, or a podcast from iPhone and can then wander around the house listening to it pretty much wherever I am.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ok, understand.

The Sonos connect will do all that, though you would need a dock for the iPod/iPhone. The Ipod Classic does not have wifi so would need it, the iPhone could connect wirelessly using an Airport Express.

Trying to connect a number of devices that you already have can be a bit messy, replace the Classic with a Touch or an iPad mini and both it, and the iPhone can be connected wirelessly via the Airport Express. Nice and simple.

If you have a lot of stuff on the Classic that you want to keep that might mean you need a dock, but if you have the same material on a computer, in iTunes say, then just copy onto one of the wi-fi capable devices as mentioned above.

To summarise.....

You would have the Connect as the centre of your setup, controlled by an app on your iPhone or maybe a dedicated iPad. Any iPhone, iPad or iPod with wi-fi will connect via an Airport Express into the Aux (Local) input on the Connect. Everything is then controlled via the app on the iThing of choice, including internet Radio or Spotify for example.

The Connect must connect to you network, either direct (wired) or via the Bridge, and the output in the main room fed to a nice amplifier to drive your B&Ws. Sprinkle as many Play speaker systems around the rest of the house as you like.

sqc33

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks davedotco, yes I guess the Sonos will all do the trick, the fly in the ointment is the Lyric. A shame as it sounds so good. Back to the shop we go.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
sqc33 said:
Hi Crossie

thanks

Sue

Although the Lyric DOES have a line-out, so you could just plug that into the Connect's line-in, which will then be available to be played on the Play:5 or any other Sonos device (and can even be configured to start automatically as soon as it detects a signal).

The only slight caveat is that there will be a 70ms delay on the Connect's line-in, so if you're intending to play the same thing in both rooms and you can hear both speakers at once you'll get an echo effect as the Play:5 will be slightly behind the main speakers.

It's pretty easy though.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sqc33 said:
Thanks davedotco, yes I guess the Sonos will all do the trick, the fly in the ointment is the Lyric. A shame as it sounds so good. Back to the shop we go.

Hopefully you'll read my other reply before you go to the shop, there is absolutely no reason for you to return the Lyric.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
sqc33 said:
Hi Crossie

thanks

Sue

Although the Lyric DOES have a line-out, so you could just plug that into the Connect's line-in, which will then be available to be played on the Play:5 or any other Sonos device (and can even be configured to start automatically as soon as it detects a signal).

The only slight caveat is that there will be a 70ms delay on the Connect's line-in, so if you're intending to play the same thing in both rooms and you can hear both speakers at once you'll get an echo effect as the Play:5 will be slightly behind the main speakers.

It's pretty easy though.

Indeed.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
sqc33 said:
Hi Crossie

thanks

Sue

It's pretty easy though.

Indeed.

Ah, that's why I can't edit the post, I was going to say that if the Play:5 was close enough to the Lyric and it was convenient to do so you could actually run an RCA-3.5mm cable straight to the Play:5 as it also has a line-in, so you wouldn't need the Connect (you'd still have the 70ms delay though).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
sqc33 said:
Hi Crossie

thanks

Sue

It's pretty easy though.

Indeed.

Ah, that's why I can't edit the post, I was going to say that if the Play:5 was close enough to the Lyric and it was convenient to do so you could actually run an RCA-3.5mm cable straight to the Play:5 as it also has a line-in, so you wouldn't need the Connect (you'd still have the 70ms delay though).

Whilst all of this is possible ( I never said otherwise), it is hardly an elegant solution, wires all around the house in some cases, separate control systems for the Lyric and the Sonus, the delay issue as described. Messy in my view, I simply would not have it.

The simple and elegant solution is as I descibed, replace the Lyric with a good, big integrated amplifier (a power amp would work too), control everything from one controller, an iPad maybe. If you want to stream from wi-fi capable iThings just add an AEX to the aux in of the connect.

sqc33

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Al ears, such a kind offer but I am kinda hoping we will find a way round it or get a full refund, we only purchased Saturday. Bless you!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:
matt49 said:
The_Lhc said:
davedotco said:
sqc33 said:
Hi Crossie

thanks

Sue

It's pretty easy though.

Indeed.

Whilst all of this is possible ( I never said otherwise), it is hardly an elegant solution, wires all around the house in some cases, separate control systems for the Lyric and the Sonus, the delay issue as described. Messy in my view, I simply would not have it.

The simple and elegant solution is as I descibed, replace the Lyric with a good, big integrated amplifier (a power amp would work too), control everything from one controller, an iPad maybe. If you want to stream from wi-fi capable iThings just add an AEX to the aux in of the connect.

I fail to see how your solution is MORE elegant. If all they want is for the Play:5 to automatically play whatever is playing through the Lyric then the line-in to the Connect with the Play:5 configured to autoplay is way more elegant, you'd only need to Sonos controller to configure it initially and then you can ignore it. The Connect doesn't even need to be visible. I only mentioned running a wire direct to the Play:5 because the Connect is quite an expensive option just to use the line-in, if that expenditure isn't an issue then that suggestion can be ignored. Either way only the Lyric controller would be needed for the majority of usage.

Apple iDevices can stream locally stored files direct to Sonos now, although that doesn't apply to system audio or streaming (although the Sonos can do that itself for the majority of services).

Anyway I was more taking issue with your comment that the Lyric couldn't support any wireless speaker, the fact that it has a line-out means it can support any wireless system that can take a line-in.

sqc33

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks The_Lhc, I am really hoping you are right because my husband loves the sound he is getting from the speakers/Lyric combo and I really don't want to have to try again with that. It seems to me that although you could argue the problem is in the slight awkwardness of connecting the Lyric to the Sonos, we would like to stay with the Sonos and would ditch the Sonos, there must be other good wireless speakers out there. I appreciate the ease with which you could expand the Sonos components in the future but if we get this right now, we are pretty much done. We don't have a huge house and the lounge sound is good for the conservatory and the kitchen can be heard very well in the bedroom so once we have done all this, I for one am hoping not to buy any more hifi for some considerable time!

I really do appreciate all the help you lot are giving me, I am a total hifi/techno numpty and that doesn't help when you are talking to dealers etc!

Thanks again

Sue

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I have, personally I'd go with the Sonos, I don't really see any awkwardness connecting the Lyric to a Connect as previously described, it's just the cost factor but I can't speak for the requestor on that front.

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I really do appreciate all the help you lot are giving me, I am a total hifi/techno numpty and that doesn't help when you are talking to dealers etc!

Which speakers did you get? From your description above I presume spending around 4-5 grand on your hifi then looking at a play 5 is like buying a 7 series BMW and a peugeot 106. You could do so much better than the sonos which sound wise is worth about £150.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
I have, personally I'd go with the Sonos, I don't really see any awkwardness connecting the Lyric to a Connect as previously described, it's just the cost factor but I can't speak for the requestor on that front.

The OP was asking for alternatives to the Sonos, I can't help, can you?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
The_Lhc said:

The OP was asking for alternatives to the Sonos, I can't help, can you?

In terms of reliability and ease of use I don't think there are any alternatives, no.

TRENDING THREADS