Cyrus 8xpd vs Naim Nait 5i with Lavry DA-10 or similar

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently upgraded a 2004 Rega Brio for a 2006 Naim Nait 5i non italic. Most of my music is coming from my Macbook with itunes sending lossless, wav and aiff files via Airport Express to a Beresford TC-7510. I have a Marantz cd63ki mk2 and find I prefer the sound this gives over the Beresford. My current setup can feel a little aggressive over long periods of listening especially at louder volumes.

My dilemma is should I upgrade my DAC to something like a Lavry DA-10 Black or trade in the amp and buy a Cyrus 8xpd with a built in DAC (can't afford the Supernait or NDAC)?

Many thanks in advance for advice.

A

Anonymous

Cyrus is a good bet, you can upgrade DAC to Q spec at a later date if you want a better DAC. Most importantly you need to take your amp into a Cyrus dealer and do a back to back comparison with your current setup.

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
This is an interesting thread from my point of view, as I previously
had a Nait 5i too. I found it tiresome after long periods of listening,
and am currently looking at other options.
Had some good advice
from a dealer last weekend, and he suggested I demo'ed the Cyrus 8xpd
against the Naim Nait XS which he believes may be more to my taste. Sothe Cyrus would seem like a good option for your needs too.

A

Anonymous

You haven't mentioned what speakers, cables and interconnects you are using with your front end and amp.

A

Anonymous

Cable Talk Broadcast from CD > amp, Cable Talk Monitor from DAC > amp, Naim NACA5 amp > to Monitor Audio BR2.

I'm also looking at upgrading my speakers, another quandary.

A

Anonymous

simeonc:

My current setup can feel a little aggressive over long periods of listening especially at louder volumes.

My dilemma is should I upgrade my DAC to something like a Lavry DA-10 Black or trade in the amp and buy a Cyrus 8xpd with a built in DAC (can't afford the Supernait or NDAC)?

Many thanks in advance for advice.

I don't think Cyrus would solve your problem. It is a demanding listen, its transparecy, over-analytical and up front presentation can be tiresome over long listening periods.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the speaker advise, I'm very aware this is a prominent issue in the setup. At the moment I'm just really interested in making the best match for the Naim Nait 5i and a DAC to deliver an exciting but not teeth clinching combination. I would try a CD5i if it wasn't for the fact that most of CD collection is in the cellar and my main source is my powerbook.

I figure I should sort out my source before investing in new speakers, I have limited funds and want to upgrade in stages.

Has anyone found a perfect Naim and DAC alliance without a £2000 Naim DAC? £600 is my limit!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts