Naim Nait 5i volume light blinks

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I've been using my Naim Nait 5i with the KEF LS50 since Wednesday and today I noticed something awkward. After listening for a little over an hour my amp stopped working and the light in the volumeknob started blinking. I switched off the amp for a couple of seconds and thereafter it worked again.

Is this a common known problem? Does this mean that my amp is struggling to handle the KEF's?

The volume was set at about 10 o'clock today while yesterday evening I was listening for at least two hours at 11 o'clock with no problems whatsoever.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I know NAim used to recommend cables of at least 3m? on some of their amps, not sure if that applies to your 5i. HAd a look on google and there are a few cases about blinking lights which maybe due to over-heating, I would say the LS50s need some power to drive but should not be a problem with your amp. Does the back of the amp feel hot?

If you were me I would take it straight back to my dealer and get a replacement.

It seems the speaker cable length does not apply to your amp.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
Bringing it back to the dealer is problematic as I bought this amp second hand on ebay from a foreign country (Germany) and I live in Belgium.

The amp has been playing for while now and the blinking hasn't reoccured. Didn't feel any heat at the side nor the back of the amp either. Weird stuff...

Guess I just have to wait and see if it happens again.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I found with the LS50s I had to have the volume control at around 10 that was on a Mus. Fid. M3i which is quite powerful amp and about 11 on an Audiolab 8200A in a 5x4m room.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I used to use my old Nait5i at around 9 o'clock for 'loud' with 87dB n-Sats.

11 o'clock would have probably damaged my hearing (especially with the high output from the CD5i).

LS50s are 85dB and dip to 3.2 ohms. Maybe you are being warned by the amp to ease off a bit.

EDIT: Overheating results in the CD light blinking on the amp. The volume light blinking suggests programming mode. Press and hold down the 'prog' button on the remote when it flashes again.

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
I used to use my old Nait5i at around 9 o'clock for 'loud' with 87dB n-Sats.

11 o'clock would have probably damaged my hearing (especially with the high output from the CD5i).

LS50s are 85dB and dip to 3.2 ohms. Maybe you are being warned by the amp to ease off a bit.

That sounds reasonable but why didn't this occur when I was listening at 11 o'clock for a longer time? It happened when I was listening at lower volumesetting for a shorter time. That's what puzzling me.

@ BigH: Maybe I'll have to check on a Naim forum indeed.

@ iceman16: I don't have a balanced button on my remote.

Just read your edit Chebby: thanks alot for finding the solution! :clap: I try that the next time it happens!

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Audiofoolius said:
I've been using my Naim Nait 5i with the KEF LS50 since Wednesday and today I noticed something awkward. After listening for a little over an hour my amp stopped working and the light in the volumeknob started blinking. I switched off the amp for a couple of seconds and thereafter it worked again.

Is this a common known problem? Does this mean that my amp is struggling to handle the KEF's?

The volume was set at about 10 o'clock today while yesterday evening I was listening for at least two hours at 11 o'clock with no problems whatsoever.

Some kind of clipping indication/protection?

:?

Audiofoolius

Aug 12, 2008
Visit site
I don't think so to be honest. Tonight I have been listening for more than 3 hours at a decent volume level (10 o'clock) and the amp didn't have any problem at all. No blinking or overheating issues. I have a feeling that Chebby is right (cf. #7).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts