Advice regarding speaker upgrade.

amf123

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
Hi.
Just in the process of upgrading my entire desktop listening set up. It currently stands at iMac/Audirvana > Naim DAC-V1 > Naim Nap100 > Whafedale Pacific Evo 10. The speakers are now the last things needing attention. The ones I have sound reasonable but I gather they're not the greatest, and truth be told they're the only things I had lying around the house from years ago. I kinda feel like I'm letting the expensive Naim stuff go to waste a little bit. All of my online research has pointed me towards the KEF LS50 for a variety of reasons. Firstly they're supposed to be pretty good nearfield. Secondly, even though my amp is only 50w per channel, it can deliver every watt of it with some guts, and I understand the KEF's like to be well driven. Whats holding me back, and it may sound stupid, is moving from 165mm mid/bass drivers to 130mm mid/bass drivers. I'm worried about losing some low end from the system, both volume and extension, and I really don't want to have to add a sub in to get it back. Am I worrying over nothing? Are there better options? I did also look at the Kef Q350 but the reaction to them seems more mixed, opinion seems to think the LS50 really is a lot better.

amf123

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
This was something I had considered, but having been on 80% furlough for three months I was planning on buying used. I'd feel a bit mean having a dealer go to all the grief of setting systems up for me knowing I was just going to walk out.

This was something I had considered, but having been on 80% furlough for three months I was planning on buying used. I'd feel a bit mean having a dealer go to all the grief of setting systems up for me knowing I was just going to walk out.
I have been in the same position, but this doesn't mean I would buy speakers on spec
If you can buy used or ex demo and they don't suit you should be able to sell on without major financial loss.

1) How near-field are you talking about. Those Evos are big standmounts.
2) Having heard the LS50s with the Leema I would suggest they will be too in ya face tonally.
3) The ones that work well with Naim: PMC DB1i, Neat, Dynaudio and Spendor. Synergy is everything.

amf123

Jul 12, 2020
Visit site
1) How near-field are you talking about. Those Evos are big standmounts.
2) Having heard the LS50s with the Leema I would suggest they will be too in ya face tonally.
3) The ones that work well with Naim: PMC DB1i, Neat, Dynaudio and Spendor. Synergy is everything.
The speakers will probably be about 1m either side of me. I know the Wharfedales aren't really the right thing for the job, thats why they need to go. I don't know the technical terms to get across what I want to say but even though they're big bulky things they give a really good "weight" to the music, and thats what I want to keep. But not quite so much of a sonic muddle. If you get what I'm trying to say?

The speakers will probably be about 1m either side of me. I know the Wharfedales aren't really the right thing for the job, thats why they need to go. I don't know the technical terms to get across what I want to say but even though they're big bulky things they give a really good "weight" to the music, and thats what I want to keep. But not quite so much of a sonic muddle. If you get what I'm trying to say?
There's a couple of issues as I read it: Firstly, by near-field that's how close you sit/stand to the speaker, not how wide apart they are.

Second, most speakers work best with breathing space behind them. Because I own PMC TB2i, the bigger brother of the DB1, my bias is towards PMC 'i' - they work beautifully with Naim stuff. The Dynaudio, to achieve that textured sound you need to go up the scale but... that negates the near-field aspect. There are closed boxed speakers like some Spendors but they tend to be dinky, likewise with Neat speakers.

I suppose what I'm saying is hi-fi, unless you have a bottomless wallet, is a compromise. If you're prepared to lose some of the low grunt there are others that will give you a better all-round sound.

D

Deleted member 116933

I owned a Dac v1 albeit with the larger nap 200dr, and the V1 has a fantastic sound when it worked (another story for another time).

As your sitting so close you're going to need something with very wide dispersion, hence people the LS50 but as mentioned can be an acquired taste but there are a lot of happy nap 100 and ls50 owners out there. So I think the amp will have JUST enough drive. Might not be world-shaking but should be pleasant and as your sitting so close you're not going to need a lot of power.

As mentioned above, neat would be a good shout along with revel, b&w, lower range kefs maybe smaller focal
I don't rate PMC but that's my experience and taste. Stay away from Atc the amp will not have enough for them
you could also try amphion and burchat audio.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts