Croft Integrated

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

I'm new here so be gentle..... :wave:

Does anyone have experience of Glenn's integrated amplifier?

Can you describe the sound? I know thats almost impossible

I am aware the latest amp is a hybrid using MOSFET's in the output

I used to own one of his Vitale pre amps and that was superb for the money

Thanks

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi and welcome . Personaly i havnt but CJSF is a Croft boy. Stick around or keep checking in and with any luck Cj can help a bit. He is a tad busy demolishing his hoose at the minute. Check out the turntable section ;)

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Hi Aishy

Welcome to the forum. It just so happens that i have got one on home demo at the moment and i absolutely love it. I have just ordered the Micro 25 pre 7 series power amp. I'm not the best at describing what i hear but its a fantastic sounding amp with a great phono stage on board.

I wish i had bought one ages ago and is a superb match with my Harbeths. I would desribe the sound as warm side of neutral with plenty of detail, great bass and very sweet top end. The amp that they are replacing couldnt be anymore different. I think the biggest thing for me is how well they go with my speakers.

CJSF who regularly posts on here has had the integrated for a while and he loves it! CJ will be able to describe the sound much better than myself

I hope this has been of some help, try and get a home demo, its well worth it.

Cheers, Ed :)

A

Anonymous

Ed

Is it the latest integrated you have on demo at mo? not the 'R' version though?

Can I ask what the price was for the Micro 25 & 7?

Thanks so much

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
aishy said:
Ed

Is it the latest integrated you have on demo at mo? not the 'R' version though?

Can I ask what the price was for the Micro 25 & 7?

Yes it is the latest one and not the R version. The Micro 25 and the 7 are £700 each although i have ordered the pre without the phono stage as i already have the Croft RIAA which should make it a bit less.

Cheers, Ed

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Have heard nothing but good things about Croft.

The Luxman not for you Ed?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the home demo from with the Crofts?

Cheers

Mac

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
Macspur said:
Have heard nothing but good things about Croft.

The Luxman not for you Ed?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the home demo from with the Crofts?

Cheers

Mac

Hi Mac

As good as the Luxman is, all the stuff it has on it is a bit wasted on me to be honest. The Croft seems to match the Harbeths so much better, Like yourself I've read and heard nothing but good things about Croft especially with Harbeth's and couldn't resist the demo any longer.

Such great simple amps which sound so effortless, also i have the Croft RIAA phono stage already and the synergy between the two Crofts compared to the Luxman is so much better.

I got the demo from Deco audio in Aylesbury, Bucks. Very helpfull friendly chaps they are too!

Cheers, Ed

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I use a Micro 25 pre in to a SS power amp, love it! Never heard a pre (realise you're talking intergated) that comes close at the price, Croft does have a 'house souch' for me, thunderous bass, quite a thick, almost anolouge sound overall, not to be confused with muddy, the detail is there as is the timbre but special thing start happening with deep male vocal such as Cohen or the bass line in some house music.

I've heard varioua Croft gear but not the intergrated but I can imagine just how it sounds, buy with confidence. I only wish there were more companies like Croft about.

I also love the fact you can send your units back to the man your self for upgrades, how many companies can you have the designer tweak your pride and joy?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Seems the previous posts have said it all . . . superb sound, a bargin at £1000, inc phono. I have done a lot of system tweaking in the past 12 months, tiny changes, the Croft simple sails on unphased, it presenting the changes with no obvious input or colouration of its own.

I come from, in a past life, some very rarified valve equipment, my comparisons are years old and memory only, but I am very very happy with my Cortf intigrated. It has formed the bassis of a very satisfying, musical system, giving me no reason to get on the 'upgrade merry-go-round'.

You ask about the 'sound', the Croft is voiced IMHO as a natural, though this is only as far as associated components allow. What the croft does, is give its owner the oportunity to shape a sound to their own liking, 'it bends'. One is unaware of any strengths or weaknes, however it is not bland, if it has a strength, it is the presentation of music, giving confidence that what you are hearing is what was intended, the way you want to hear it.

It is a valve amplifyer that does not leap out at you 'shouting valves!!!' or 'solid state' from the fets, the perfect marrige of both perhaps, the best of both worlds?

Thats my two peneth, now I'm of to change a £1000 catridge without a stylus guard!!!!!!!!! . . . :?

CJSF

A

Anonymous

CJSF said:
I come from, in a past life, some very rarified valve equipment

CJ Yes me too really :doh:

I seem to have come full circle and my current system is certainly the least expensive I have had, but probably the most musical

I am not sure how fussy the Croft will be about other equipment but I can give it a bit of choice of cd players and speakers, though I prefer my Royds at the moment

Thanks to all for your input on the subject ;)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
aishy said:

CJ Yes me too really :doh:

I seem to have come full circle and my current system is certainly the least expensive I have had, but probably the most musical

I am not sure how fussy the Croft will be about other equipment but I can give it a bit of choice of cd players and speakers, though I prefer my Royds at the moment

Thanks to all for your input on the subject ;)

Yep, full circle, with a 20 year gap that I dont remember much about . . . :doh: I have not tried much, nothing at home, the PMc's were what I had so the croft had to get on with it. However as I have observen, regardless of the adjustments I have made, the Croft just got on with the job. The few reviews/coments I have read, seem to also indicate this 'get on with what ever is presented nature' of the Croft.

CJSF

jeffp13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
The Croft integrated is incredible. I got one recently and I think it sounds fantastic. I thought my previous Linn gear was pretty good, but this is an order of magnitude better. Very articulate and easy to listen to for extended periods of time. Now I'm wondering what I'm missing (if anything) by not having the separate amp/pre-amp. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
jeffp13 said:
The Croft integrated is incredible. I got one recently and I think it sounds fantastic. I thought my previous Linn gear was pretty good, but this is an order of magnitude better. Very articulate and easy to listen to for extended periods of time. Now I'm wondering what I'm missing (if anything) by not having the separate amp/pre-amp. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

Mmm I thought the same, Croft Basic intigrated is so easy on the ear, upgrade get even better . . . Oh boy, I supose it depends what you want, but my experiance was up through the pre amps using the series seven power amp. The sound be came more dynamic to the point of over bearing, I could not listen for more than half an hour befor I needed a break . . .

Thinking back, it may have been that I have a small (12ft x12ft) hifi study, the sound could not breath freely? The simple Basic Intigrated was great. I had two options, stay as I was with the basic, or, look for a full valve sound, this was the way I went. Fourty watts of KT88's and a seperate full valve Phono stage. Suited my requirement perfectly . . . I'm not putting the Croft down, far from it, but I simply could not cope with the 'in your face dynamics'.

If I could go back 15 years to my old bungalow, my listening room would have been 17ft x 21ft, probably use larger speakers, that would have been much more conducive to the sophisticated and powerfull quality Crofts.

CJSF

jeffp13

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had the privilege of owning both the "R" and the "Line" integrated amplifiers. They are both excellent, but different. The R undoubtably is the more "accurate" amplifier with greater definition and extension at both ends of the spectrum. It also seems a bit more refined in general with less grain, although the standard is certainly no slouch. However, in my experience, sometimes too much detail can be distracting, and initially I had a hard time warming up to the R version. For one thing, it takes a loooooooong time to fully break in and sound its best. I guess my overall comment would be that the standard version is spectacular for the money, and if you are not the type that listens "critically" all the time and just lets the music wash over you hearing it more emotionally rather than clinically , then the standard would be a great choice. If you want to hear every micro detail of instrument placement and experience absolute "you are there" soundstaging, the R is the way to go. In the end, I sold my line integrated and kept the R, but I could have easily been content with either. They are both excellent and better than any other amplifier I've ever owned (Naim, Linn, Exposure, Jolida)

Just buy either and you'll be glad you did. Plus Glenn Croft is supremely helpful and inspires confidence in his products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Came across the Integrated (basic line level) a week or two ago.

Easily my favourite sub £1000 amplifier and better than most at a lot more money. Very basic facilities, but if you can live with that It really puts down a marker for sound quality.

M_CROFT__88038__12102012034153-8351.jpg

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
davedotco said:

Easily my favourite sub £1000 amplifier and better than most at a lot more money. Very basic facilities, but if you can live with that It really puts down a marker for sound quality.

I'll second that. As you say very basic, but a top amp... the only thing I didn't like was the duel volume pots.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Macspur said:
davedotco said:

I'll second that. As you say very basic, but a top amp... the only thing I didn't like was the duel volume pots.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

I have on a number of occasions discussed my 'ideal' £2k system and explained at some length why I think the active option (ADM9s, Adam Artist6) would suit me best.

The main reason for this was that I found a character about budget passive systems that I really did not like, difficult to describe but perhaps best described as a lack of control. On an admittedly short listen, I found the Croft brought out the natural timbre or body of the music without in any way sounding warm itself, a quality I normally inly associate with more expensive amplifiers.

Very impressive I thought. Given that my '£2k system needs to include a Sonos Connect, a dac (probably), amplifier and speakers it is perhaps a touch expensive to qualify but it brought me closer to what I was looking for than anything else I have heard.

The idea of driving it from a Connect (external dac or not) works well for me, the twin gain controls set to the maximun level I would use in 'normal' use and the volume on the Connect being used for everyday attenuation. Not quite viable with a Dac, but certainly possible without...... :cheer:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I quite liked this amp when I heard it a while back, though unfortunately it was paired with some pretty dire speakers. I also heard a Croft pre/power combo that was a notch or two better. Can't remember the models.

Dave, I think you could get pretty close to £2K if you struck lucky with a budget DAC. Are you averse to buying second hand? I'd have thought that with your long experience as a dealer you'd feel pretty confident about picking up something sound.

Matt

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
I still love my 25 pre and & 7 series power. I initially bought the pre as line level only because i already had the separate RIAA and had it built with just one volume pot.

In the end i sold the RIAA and had Glenn fit the phono stage into the pre and to me it sounded even better! I'm going to upgrade the pre to the R version when funds allow.

All in all I love my Croft gear and well worth an audition.

Cheers, Ed

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm . . . I still have my Croft integrated up stairs, should have sold it but could not bear to let it go. Almost 12 months ago, I moved on to a full blown valve amp KT88 and all that . . . The move has been a journey of pleasure, dismay and frustration.

In frustration, I'm seriously considering doing a 180 degree! Glen will upgrade my intigrated to as far as is possible for not to much money. I will then do a direct A/B comparison, see just how far, if any, the 'full valve' jobby is ahead?

This has all been brought about by the constant upgrading of the TT, to a point where I'm not sure what needs to be done next. One is very mindful of just how obliging the basic Croft was in the early days of the TT upgrades, it simply opened the window so that I could hear the 'music', have I done it an injustice? The TT is a much more sophisticated performer these days, the old chestnut, 'quality in quality out' as put out by Linn, still holds true in my book.

I also have a good friend in the trade who has the full range of Croft amps, I'm even considering a total system revamp??? Even the 23 year old speakers may come in for scrutiny? . . . as I say, 180 . . . !?

CJSF

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
matt49 said:
I quite liked this amp when I heard it a while back, though unfortunately it was paired with some pretty dire speakers. I also heard a Croft pre/power combo that was a notch or two better. Can't remember the models.

Dave, I think you could get pretty close to £2K if you struck lucky with a budget DAC. Are you averse to buying second hand? I'd have thought that with your long experience as a dealer you'd feel pretty confident about picking up something sound.

Matt

Evening Matt, how's the tooth..... :mad:

The line level integrated is 'supposed' to be pretty close to the basic pre-power, not heard either of the pre-powers in recent times though.

The sound had that quality about it, you know the thing I have talked about the before, the qualty of the Electros, the Sugden and a handful of others. Not as explicitly so as some of the more expensive examples but exceptional for the money, and a hell of a lot more interesting than anything else for similar or less money.

Bump the budget up to £2500-3000 or so and it is very possible, modded Connect, V-Dac, Croft and maybe even a pair of Venere 1.5s. Getting interesting but also pushing the budget.

Anyway this system remains largely academic, Mrs DDC's whale watching expedition is still on for early march, so no budget.

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
CJSF said:
Mmm . . . I still have my Croft integrated up stairs, should have sold it but could not bear to let it go. Almost 12 months ago, I moved on to a full blown valve amp KT88 and all that . . . The move has been a journey of pleasure, dismay and frustration. In frustration, I'm seriously considering doing a 180 degree! Glen will upgrade my intigrated to as far as is possible for not to much money. I will then do a direct A/B comparison, see just how far, if any, the 'full valve' jobby is ahead? This has all been brought about by the constant upgrading of the TT, to a point where I'm not sure what needs to be done next. One is very mindful of just how obliging the basic Croft was in the early days of the TT upgrades, it simply opened the window so that I could hear the 'music', have I done it an injustice? The TT is a much more sophisticated performer these days, the old chestnut, 'quality in quality out' as put out by Linn, still holds true in my book. I also have a good friend in the trade who has the full range of Croft amps, I'm even considering a total system revamp??? Even the 23 year old speakers may come in for scrutiny? . . . as I say, 180 . . . !? CJSF

Hi CJ

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Croft again compared to your valve integrated.........go on you know you want to! ;)

keep us posted

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
edplaysdrums42 said:
CJSF said:
Mmm . . . I still have my Croft integrated up stairs, should have sold it but could not bear to let it go. Almost 12 months ago, I moved on to a full blown valve amp KT88 and all that . . . The move has been a journey of pleasure, dismay and frustration. In frustration, I'm seriously considering doing a 180 degree! Glen will upgrade my intigrated to as far as is possible for not to much money. I will then do a direct A/B comparison, see just how far, if any, the 'full valve' jobby is ahead? This has all been brought about by the constant upgrading of the TT, to a point where I'm not sure what needs to be done next. One is very mindful of just how obliging the basic Croft was in the early days of the TT upgrades, it simply opened the window so that I could hear the 'music', have I done it an injustice? The TT is a much more sophisticated performer these days, the old chestnut, 'quality in quality out' as put out by Linn, still holds true in my book. I also have a good friend in the trade who has the full range of Croft amps, I'm even considering a total system revamp??? Even the 23 year old speakers may come in for scrutiny? . . . as I say, 180 . . . !? CJSF

Hi CJ

It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the Croft again compared to your valve integrated.........go on you know you want to! ;)

keep us posted

Me too....... :bounce:

Untill fairly recently I have been living with a rather exotically priced (but suberbly built and voiced) beauty utilising EL34s. One of those valve amplifiers that really does not sound like valves, and not remotely like transistors either. Sadly in storage and I miss it.

Be nice to hear your thoughts.....

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
Evening Matt, how's the tooth..... :mad:

The line level integrated is 'supposed' to be pretty close to the basic pre-power, not heard either of the pre-powers in recent times though.

The sound had that quality about it, you know the thing I have talked about the before, the qualty of the Electros, the Sugden and a handful of others. Not as explicitly so as some of the more expensive examples but exceptional for the money, and a hell of a lot more interesting than anything else for similar or less money.

Bump the budget up to £2500-3000 or so and it is very possible, modded Connect, V-Dac, Croft and maybe even a pair of Venere 1.5s. Getting interesting but also pushing the budget.

Anyway this system remains largely academic, Mrs DDC's whale watching expedition is still on for early march, so no budget.

(With apologies for going off topic)

Thanks, Dave, the tooth (or lack thereof) is feeling much better today.

Interesting you should mention Sugden. I've just bought a second-hand A21a. Recently serviced by Sugden, or so I'm told. It should arrive early next week. This will be going to the holiday cottage.

Segueing back onto topic: second-hand Crofts do occasionally appear on PFM and the 'Wam. Presumably a full service by His Glennness wouldn't be outrageously expensive.

:cheers:

Matt

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts