Audiophonics amps (Hypex N Core)

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

podknocker

I realy like these new Class D amps. Small, cool and efficient and looking at the inside of the device, you can see how little space these modules occupy.

It is a little expensive, but you do get the complete working package and most people are not that handy with the DIY route, including myself.

I don't think it will be many years before these Class D topologies are the standard and many will wonder why you'd need a different type of amp.

Massive and power hungry valve amps, Class A/B amps with huge capacitors and heatsinks everywhere.

There are some (still expensive) great sounding Class D amps from NAD and others, but the technology will become cheaper as these amp become more popular.

If you can put together a great sounding and powerful amp, with no distortion, for a few hundred quid, then why spend more?

Last edited:

podknocker

The more I look at this Audiophonics Class D amp, the more I want one.

You could easily connect a TV and a few other things and I certainly could manage with this spec.

I understand amps covering all bases, from turntables to streaming modules, but it's extra cost and leaves features unused.

I'm only buying kit with the features I will actually need from now on.

My Omnia is nice, but I don't need a CD player, a phono stage, a rubbish DTS app, or a display with silly VU meters.

I use bluetooth from my laptop to my Omnia and it's rock solid, so I can't see this being any different.

Might keep a lookout for this amp in the coming months and see if it drops in price.

It's quite basic, compared to many other amps, but I do like the no nonsense utilitarian approach.

I do keep wondering of there are any serious negatives with this amp and I'm always a bit wary.

I also wonder why Class A/B amps are relatively underpowered. My Omnia is 50w and is a bit low.

Last edited:
Reactions: AJM1981

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Fidelity dom

Dec 3, 2020
Visit site
Hi I’ve an nc 252 power amp from Nord accoustics, great value for money. 150 watts into 8 ohm 250 watts into 4 ohm. Really helped to bring my small floorstanders (quad s4) to life. I was using an Audiolab 6000a play (50 watts into 8 ohm) & I always felt that I was missing something from my speakers, especially when cranking the volume a tad. The hypex nc 252 has added more control, the quads play louder & tighter.

Reactions: nopiano

njprrogers

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm in the EU (Ireland) so the VAT issue is moot in my case.
Is it VAT that is the issue or import taxes? I would have thought it would be VAT neutral - remove the french VAT and apply UK VAT.

You are probably getting a 2 pin Euro socket as well so you would need an adapter.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I'm in the EU (Ireland) so the VAT issue is moot in my case.
Is it VAT that is the issue or import taxes? I would have thought it would be VAT neutral - remove the french VAT and apply UK VAT.

You are probably getting a 2 pin Euro socket as well so you would need an adapter.
I'm not exactly sure which tax it is, I ordered a few items ( IanCanada pcb's) from them a couple of months ago and I was charged the rrp from Audiophonics and then I received a nice email from UPS, that I had to pay the tax on the goods entering the UK and it added up to 20%, which led me to believe it's the vat.

I've never heard of this company. Are there any UK models available with same spec?
Yes, here…and he also sells on eBay.

Last time I looked at Nord, it was because Colin was selling up. I had a Nord One NC500DM MKI Dual Mono Stereo Power Amp. Not the easiest designation to unpick, but it was very good.

EDIT: apologies, I thought the OP was about a power amp. I have been referring to the more popular power amps.

Last edited:

landco

Aug 26, 2023
Visit site
Has anyone got any experience of these Audiophonics or Hypex amps? I know Nord are a similar alternative maker in the UK,

If you needed a lot of grunt, it seems insane value.
The power of 2x250W seems excessive to me for home use. Why overpay?

I'm sure the 699 Euro/£699 price will come down.

You will struggle to find a decent 150wpc class A/B for this price.
As stated previously I doubt you will actually get one into the country for tjat price.
Unless you know someone in France who is willing to bring one in for you.
Or does that price include VAT and duties??
That said it can still be described as cheap.

Reactions: WayneKerr
Isn't that more about gain than outright power? Not saying that the two don't necessarily go hand in hand.
Exactly. My Nord NC500 had very similar gain to the Pass Labs XA25 that replaced it. But power rating:- 700 watts versus 147 watts, both peak output into 4 ohms. In practice I’m listening to the first watt 99% of the time, hence my dalliance with Class A.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts