Controvercial

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Had a very interesting conversation with a Hi Fi dealer yesterday who told me that he had once applied for a job as a reviewer on a Hi Fi magazine and was told they weren't interested in anyone with Hi Fi experience, but only wanted people with a degree in journalism!

Proves when buying equipment, always demo when possible and don't just go on what you're told by the so called experts.

Rega Saturn CDP, Sugden A21L amp, ProAc Studio 130 speakers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Macspur:
Had a very interesting conversation with a Hi Fi dealer yesterday who told me that he had once applied for a job as a reviewer on a Hi Fi magazine and was told they weren't interested in anyone with Hi Fi experience, but only wanted people with a degree in journalism!

Yes. People who can spell words like controversial correctly.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Macspur:Proves when buying equipment, always demo when possible and don't just go on what you're told by the so called experts.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what the "so called experts" in most hifi magazines advise you to do.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andy H:Agree and dissagree, I still believe they should have some hifi knowledge and not just be able to write a good story.

Ketan designs and builds his own speakers.

I don't know what the technical/hifi credentials are for the rest of the WHF team, but the OP and his dealer are taking quite a leap in assuming they have none.

The great Peter Comeau was a hifi journalist before he was a loudspeaker manufacturer and designer.

A

Anonymous

i think being a hifi reviwer/journalist is a pretty unique job, its fine knowing about hifi, having lots of experience of it, and knowing what sounds good, what doesnt, but its the ability to accuratly put you're findings into words, on paper, in the manner expected of a hifi publication thats just as important for me, its like poetry, an art in itself, and i can see why a degree in journalism would be a big help..

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Oh don't get me wrong, I think a degree in journalism is essential. I just think they should have some knowledge so they know what they're writing about.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Macspur:Had a very interesting conversation with a Hi Fi dealer yesterday who told me that he had once applied for a job as a reviewer on a Hi Fi magazine and was told they weren't interested in anyone with Hi Fi experience, but only wanted people with a degree in journalism!

Proves when buying equipment, always demo when possible and don't just go on what you're told by the so called experts.

Don't think it proves anything beyond what the retailer wanted you to believe - let me guess, he was trying to sell you something not so well reviewed, or talk you out of buying something well-reviewed he didn't stock.

Mind you, at least one of the WHFSV team used to work in hi-fi retail, and the stories he could tell you...

Oh and no, your post wasn't the slightest bit 'controvercial': we've heard it all before...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby:Macspur:

Yes. People who can spell words like controversial correctly.

Oops! sorry about that!

smelling never been my strong point!

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Macspur:Had a very interesting conversation with a Hi Fi dealer yesterday who told me that he had once applied for a job as a reviewer on a Hi Fi magazine and was told they weren't interested in anyone with Hi Fi experience, but only wanted people with a degree in journalism!

Don't think it proves anything beyond what the retailer wanted you to believe - let me guess, he was trying to sell you something not so well reviewed, or talk you out of buying something well-reviewed he didn't stock.

Mind you, at least one of the WHFSV team used to work in hi-fi retail, and the stories he could tell you...

Oh and no, your post wasn't the slightest bit 'controvercial': we've heard it all before...

Couldn't be further from the truth!

I called for some advice re a CDP I own, but as visually impaired finding a bit tricky operating, and thinking of trading in for one which he did in fact stock and he actually advised me, if I can, to stick with what I have.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Never far away from a contravercial thread ... I can't remember when I read anything in the hifi press which has been from a 'unknown' person apart from one editorial about the Myriad Me system, which I think was written by a women who's name I haven't heard before or since. But as I don't buy mags every months I may well be wrong here. In any case, it rang true with what I thought about it in broad terms so whether she was 'new' or not, it was a good, clear review. - I can't say much about this magazines panel and experience or lack of it.

What I find more amusing is the alliance certain reviewers seem to form with certain manufacturers. This just means that you know a/ who reviews that product before reading it and b/ normally the outcome. Again nothing wrong with that, everybody has his/her preferences and in this instance, the reviews are highly amusing.

nads

I find it funny how all Journalistic publications that I read and have an interest in require a Degree in Journalism to write for them now.

A bit like Me not hiring someone who cant use the CAD program we use.

Also what is the point of hirin some one who likes beer to run a Pub if they cant run a business?

Sour Grapes if you ask me.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
drummerman:What I find more amusing is the alliance certain reviewers seem to form with certain manufacturers.

Indeed.

For instance, WHF's 5 star reviews of so many past and present AVI products get a bit predictable. Anyone might think they have a cosy alliance with the manufacturer
emotion-4.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
nads:
I find it funny how all Journalistic publications that I read and have an interest in require a Degree in Journalism to write for them now.

Theres so many people out of work now, the workplaces will take on the best people they can (And a degree certainly isnt a bad thing)

They can pick and choose at will

A

Anonymous

i reckon there are a few forumites on here that could easily be a hifi reviewer, two especially spring to mind..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chebby:drummerman:What I find more amusing
is the alliance certain reviewers seem to form with certain
manufacturers.
Indeed.

For instance, WHF's 5 star reviews of so many past and present AVI products get a bit predictable. Anyone might think they have a cosy alliance with the manufacturer
emotion-4.gif

drummerman:Yeah, something not quite right there.

Sorry, kinda lost track of who's employing irony and who's spouting nonsense in that exchange...
emotion-5.gif

Anyway, degrees in journalism a bit thin on the ground at WHFSV...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:Sorry, kinda lost track of who's employing irony and who's spouting nonsense in that exchange...
emotion-5.gif

I was just providing an example of a company that gets excellent reviews, but where any such 'alliance' between WHF and the manufacturer would be a risible idea.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
chebby:

Andrew Everard:Sorry, kinda lost track of who's employing irony and who's spouting nonsense in that exchange...
emotion-5.gif

I was just providing an example of a company that gets excellent reviews, but where any such 'alliance' between WHF and the manufacturer would be a risible idea.

'Alliance' was probably the wrong choice of wording. My example referred to

REMOVED ON LEGAL GROUNDS

as you've probably guessed. No sinister undertone.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts