Connecting sound card to hi-fi

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Skylake Core i7 pc, running Windoes 10, and with an Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

I specifically chose the sound card expecting to get half decent sound from it. A couple of pc's ago I had a Creative Soundblaster X-fi, which I was perfectly happy with, so I thought an up to date Asus Xonar would be fine.

However, having connected the sound card 3.5 jack out, to the Aux phono in, on my Technics amp, and playing a CD on the PC, I find myself completely underwhelmed. I thought, as the sound is going through my Technics amp, the sound would be at least as good as a CD played on my CD player, but it is not. It is completely lacking in bass and depth, by comparison.

I have browsed some threads on this forum and found the "sound card v DAC" debate. Have I got this completely wrong, and am I not going to get a decent sound from this setup? I can't use digital out, as I don't have a digital input on my amp, which is about ten years old!

The reason I want to play the sound through my PC, is because I intended to RIP all my CD's to WAV, and use the PC as a juke box, insted of having to hunt around for long forgotten CD's

Would appreciate any help here, as audio is not my strong point.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What's the volume level on the PC set to? Are you sure you haven't connected to the PC Mic input rather than the audio out? They're both 3.5mm jacks.

If you'd connected to a phono stage you'd have the opposite problem, the bass would be hugely distorted and overpowering.

abacus

Gray

Robbob said:
Hi,

I have recently purchased a Skylake Core i7 pc, running Windoes 10, and with an Asus Xonar DX soundcard.

I specifically chose the sound card expecting to get half decent sound from it. A couple of pc's ago I had a Creative Soundblaster X-fi, which I was perfectly happy with, so I thought an up to date Asus Xonar would be fine.

However, having connected the sound card 3.5 jack out, to the Aux phono in, on my Technics amp, and playing a CD on the PC, I find myself completely underwhelmed. I thought, as the sound is going through my Technics amp, the sound would be at least as good as a CD played on my CD player, but it is not. It is completely lacking in bass and depth, by comparison.

I have browsed some threads on this forum and found the "sound card v DAC" debate. Have I got this completely wrong, and am I not going to get a decent sound from this setup? I can't use digital out, as I don't have a digital input on my amp, which is about ten years old!

The reason I want to play the sound through my PC, is because I intended to RIP all my CD's to WAV, and use the PC as a juke box, insted of having to hunt around for long forgotten CD's

Would appreciate any help here, as audio is not my strong point.

You could play files from your PC using a USB DAC.

You won't need to spend a fortune (unless you want to) to acheive a better sound than you've described.

I bought a laptop just to rip around 700 CDs to FLAC (using Exact Audio Copy) stored on two hard drives (one identical for backup)

Stand-alone DAC may be temporary for me as I might go for a streamer.

With all your CDs on HDD, you've always got the streamer option if you want it in the future.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
What's the volume level on the PC guy set to? Are you sure you haven't connected to the PC Mic input rather than the audio out? They're both 3.5mm jacks.

If you'd connected to a phono stage you'd have the opposite problem, the bass would be hugely distorted and overpowering.
Yes, I am sure I have the right connections. As for volume setting on PC I have tried various levels.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
abacus said:
Double check all connections and make sure you have the latest drivers, then make sure you carefully go through all the available settings to make sure everything is normal.

Best soundcard/Module for the money is probably this http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/UCA202/p/P0484 which is reasonably priced and easily a match for more expensive Hi-Fi units.

Hope this helps

Bill
I have read about that particular DAC on a few threads, but I can't understand why that would be better than the Xonar DX sound card when it is less than half the price? I have read about the possibility of interference from a built in sound card, but that isn't my problem. It is the lack of bass. I am not an audiophile, and my equipment is only middle of the road, but I didn't anticipate there would be such a difference in the sound from the PC.

abacus

Most motherboards have on-board soundcards so it might be worth trying this to see if you still have the same problem.

The soundcard you purchased is more than just a DAC, as it has other features as well, hence the higher price.

Hope this helps

Bill

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
what software are you using for playback and what settings do you have?

If not, please try foobar (as it's free) with the WASAPI driver enabled and selected as a test, see if it sounds any better. Those asus cards are pretty decent to be honest, so it's possible it's a setup issue rather than anything else.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Robbob said:
cheeseboy said:

If not, please try foobar (as it's free) with the WASAPI driver enabled and selected as a test, see if it sounds any better. Those asus cards are pretty decent to be honest, so it's possible it's a setup issue rather than anything else.

Wow, like I said audio isn't my strong point, I had no idea there were so many variables. I am using Windows Media Player, and didn't realise there were so many settings there that would affect the sound output. I assumed it was all dealt with by the Asus Xonar control panel.

I will have to have a serious play around when I get the time.

Thanks for all the input.

no problems. It's a bit of minefield at first. Give us a shout if you get stuck.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
cheeseboy said:

Wow, like I said audio isn't my strong point, I had no idea there were so many variables. I am using Windows Media Player, and didn't realise there were so many settings there that would affect the sound output. I assumed it was all dealt with by the Asus Xonar control panel.

I will have to have a serious play around when I get the time, and I will check out Foobar.

Thanks for all the input.

I don't know the Asus sound cards but just a thought is to check the software driver settings to make sure any additional processing (EQ settings, sound effects etc) is disabled. I think I'm right in assuming WASAPI in Foobar will bypass any effects.

I use a DAC now but when I was using my on board sound previously, I installed some software called ASIO4ALL which gave noticeable sound improvements with some soft synths I was using. I'm not sure if it improves sound on music player apps in the same way, but it should bypass the Windows mixer and any driver level processing. ASIO is another protocol, like WASAPI, mostly used in audio production software and requires the application to be aware of it to use it. An ASIO plug in is available for Foobar2K.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Just a thought.

I haven't had a great deal of time to play around with this, since my last post, but I was just wondering. When I connected the PC to my Technics amp, as it was only a trial, to avoid too much hassle, I used the front panel audio jack socket rather than the rear socket. I set the Asus Xonar control panel to the "2 speakers front panel setting", (there is also a "headphones front panel setting") assuming the output would be the same as if I used the rear jack. Is this so, or is there a difference between rear and front panel jack that I am unaware of?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
it depends. Sometimes the front jack is plugged in to the motherboard sound, not the soundcard. If that's the case then it will be using the motherboards sound chip, not the asus's. Only way to be 100% sure is making sure any cables are plugged directly in to the soundcards outputs at the back.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
it depends. Sometimes the front jack is plugged in to the motherboard sound, not the soundcard. If that's the case then it will be using the motherboards sound chip, not the asus's. Only way to be 100% sure is making sure any cables are plugged directly in to the soundcards outputs at the back.

Yeah, that crossed my mind, however all the different settings in the Asus Xonar control panel still seemd to have an effect.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Robbob said:
Yeah, that crossed my mind, however all the different settings in the Asus Xonar control panel still seemd to have an effect.

if it's just software dsp, it might be that's it's applying it to the onboard sound as well. As I say, the only way to be 100% sure is to make sure it's plugged in at the back on the soundcard.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Robbob said:

if it's just software dsp, it might be that's it's applying it to the onboard sound as well. As I say, the only way to be 100% sure is to make sure it's plugged in at the back on the soundcard.

Good point, I did wonder if that could be the case, but discounted it. I'll make sure I connect to the sound card next time!

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
I have spent quite a bit of time today, reading up on sound cards, (don't tell my boss
wink_smile.gif
) and I am starting to think maybe I got the wrong sound card, and the Xonar DX is never going to sound that good.

It seems like the go to card for music is the Xonar Essence ST/STX.

Might have to start saving again
confused_smile.gif

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Ok,

So I have tried connecting the soundcard to my hifi amp again, this time connecting directly on to the sound card, as opposed to front panel audio. Same result. With everything neutral sound is really thin, compared to my cd player. I have played around with all the settings to no avail. It gets a little closer by using the large speaker setting in media player, but still doesn't sound quite right.

I must admit to being a bit green on this subject, and I thought any Xonar sound card would be good enough, but obviously not! So I think I will have to go down the DAC route, and having spent quite a bit of time studying reviews of sub £200 DACs, I am thinking of getting the Denon DA-300USB, which seems to get pretty good reviews, and can be got for as little as £169.

Would appreciate any comments before I hit the buy button!

abacus

Robbob said:
Ok,

So I have tried connecting the soundcard to my hifi amp again, this time connecting directly on to the sound card, as opposed to front panel audio. Same result. With everything neutral sound is really thin, compared to my cd player. I have played around with all the settings to no avail. It gets a little closer by using the large speaker setting in media player, but still doesn't sound quite right.

I must admit to being a bit green on this subject, and I thought any Xonar sound card would be good enough, but obviously not! So I think I will have to go down the DAC route, and having spent quite a bit of time studying reviews of sub £200 DACs, I am thinking of getting the Denon DA-300USB, which seems to get pretty good reviews, and can be got for as little as £169.

Would appreciate any comments before I hit the buy button!

All you need is this http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/UCA202/p/P0484 or if you want more flexibility to do more, you could try one of these, https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/audio-interfaces/komplete-audio-6/

If you want something that looks nice, then by all means go for one made by a Hi-Fi manufacturer, just remember that you will be paying over the odds for the looks with no improvement in sound over the cheaper pro models.

Hope this helps

Bill

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Robbob said:
I have spent quite a bit of time today, reading up on sound cards, (don't tell my boss ) and I am starting to think maybe I got the wrong sound card, and the Xonar DX is never going to sound that good.

It seems like the go to card for music is the Xonar Essence ST/STX.

Might have to start saving again

just to double check, you are using something like foobar with wasapi drivers enabled as well?

If so then yes, sounds like you prefer the sound of your cd player. What was the CD player btw, you might be able to source a similar dac to the one that was in that, give you a similar if not the same sound you are looking for.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
<

just to doubleh check, you are using something like foobar with wasapi drivers enabled as well?

If so then yes, sounds like you prefer the sound of your cd player. What was the CD player btw, you might be able to source a similar dac to the one that was in that, give you a similar if not the same sound you are looking for.
No, I am still using Windows Media Player. The choice of player doesn't affect the sound quality surely?
It's a Technics CD player, about 10 years old! It's not just a case of preferring the sound of my CD player, it just sounds gutless by comparison.
I have pretty much decided to go the DAC route, and have been looking at the Denon DA-300USB

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Robbob said:
No, I am still using Windows Media Player.

yes it can do, and especially making sure you are not using the windows mixer - that is done with asio or wasapi drivers. this gives the software direct access to the sound card to make sure nothing else gets in the way.

Robbob said:
The choice of player doesn't affect the sound quality surely? It's a Technics CD player, about 10 years old! It's not just a case of preferring the sound of my CD player, it just sounds gutless by comparison. I have pretty much decided to go the DAC route, and have been looking at the Denon DA-300USB

If you can get me the model number I can check what Dac is in it and see if there is a similar one for you.

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
Robbob said:
cheeseboy said:
<

just to doubleh check, you are using something like foobar with wasapi drivers enabled as well?

No, I am still using Windows Media Player. The choice of player doesn't affect the sound quality surely? It's a Technics CD player, about 10 years old! It's not just a case of preferring the sound of my CD player, it just sounds gutless by comparison. I have pretty much decided to go the DAC route, and have been looking at the Denon DA-300USB

Sorry, been away for a while.

I haven't tried Foobar, because I was put off by a review, which stated it wasn't a good option for beginers. I don't want anything too complicated, particularly as I don't really know what I am doing. What about Music Bee or Media Monkey, which sound more user friendly, if you don't think Windows Media Player is up to it?

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Robbob said:
Robbob said:

I haven't tried Foobar, because I was put off by a review, which stated it wasn't a good option for beginers. I don't want anything too complicated, particularly as I don't really know what I am doing. What about Music Bee or Media Monkey, which sound more user friendly, if you don't think Windows Media Player is up to it?

I think the thing that puts most casual users off foobar is just that it looks functional, not nice, and yes there are a lot of options. Either way it's just suggested as a goto tool as it's free and does what it says on the tin without any fancy bells and whistles.

Both musicbee and media monkey are also good choices.

Musicbee page here for getting wasapi/asio output - http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Player_Preferences

not sure where the meida monkey one is.

the other thing to check - can't remember if you've done this already, is what settings do you have in the asus control panel. Is it set to hifi?

Robbob

Jan 26, 2016
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Robbob said:
Robbob said:

I think the thing that puts most casual users off foobar is just that it looks functional, not nice, and yes there are a lot of options. Either way it's just suggested as a goto tool as it's free and does what it says on the tin without any fancy bells and whistles.

Both musicbee and media monkey are also good choices.

Musicbee page here for getting wasapi/asio output - http://musicbee.wikia.com/wiki/Player_Preferences

not sure where the meida monkey one is.

the other thing to check - can't remember if you've done this already, is what settings do you have in the asus control panel. Is it set to hifi?

Ok, I have downloaded and installed Foobar and WASAPI, and set them up as per this forum post I found: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?94044-Windows-PC-and-Foobar-set-up-for-Audio-with-WASAPI-DAC

I only followed the suggested settings for Foobar, not Windows, as this is for W7, and I have W10. I would appreciate your comments regarding this particular setup. So far, I have only played MP3 RIPs through my Creative Gigaworks T20 speakers, so difficult to judge if it is any better. Tomorrow I will connect to my hifi again and see what a CD sounds like. Yes, I have the Asus Xonar set to hifi. I must admit I still don't really understand what WASAPI does, if the Xonar controls still affect the sound. Does it just bypass any Windows input?

Anyway, thank you for your help, Cheeseboy, with a bit of luck I might actually be getting somewhere now. At least if it still doesn't sound good enough, I will know it is the soundcard, and not PC settings.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts