Compact desktop speaker with tight and punchy bass

gasolin

I have a Nad D3020 a set of Boston a26 and Dali F 12 E subwoofer

It's very good, i can listen for hours with absoutly no fattigue, especially the top is good, better the when i use my dali zensor 1 with my nad amp.

I just have one problem with this combination (nad and boston), the bass, theres a considerable lack of deeb bass, it's okay with edm but with pop,rock music like the classics like, dire straits, u2,phil collins,pink floyd, abba you name it, theres often a considerable lack of bass at mabye 80hz and down, i do use some isoacoustics stand for my boston so the bass is as good as the limiteds of my room allows it to be.

After a few weeks i had to have a subwoofer, turning it on i finally have the bass i miss when i use my bostons without a subwoofer (pop rock music dosn't sound like techno, just the way they are recorded) .

I would like to know if there is some cheap compact desktop speakers (size like dali zensor 1,boston a26,monitor audio bx 2) that have a much more tight and punchy bass then my bostons, without sounding like cerwin vegas or cheap pa speakers.

I don't think i would upgrade atm to a pair of speakers with not subwoofer, just curious if such speakers with a tight and punchy bass exist, i had a pair of krk rookit 5 g3 they had a lot more bass and at the same time it sounded deep(didn't miss a subwoofer).

I sold them because i had chanel balance problem at low levels and crackling noise using the t c electronic volume control, a bit white noise from the speakers and the krk has a artificial soft sound, the upper midrange lower treble was just unaturally soft, it resulted in a sound that needed more power in that area.

I do how ever think if my main speakers have better bass it would sound better and be more easy to integrate, then a big subwoofer into a part of my living room that's not perfect for a big subwoofer (i don't use it so all music sounds like techno)

I might miss or want a dry,thight and punchy bass more then a soft deep bass with not so much punch,atack,slamm (shure the bass from my subwoofer can be loud but more slow and boomy then dry,tight and punchy).

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The most accurate desktop monitors I have seen in some time are the Equator D5.

Screen%20shot%202012-08-04%20at%2014.52.06.jpg

No seriously deep bass but about as good as you will get from a 5 inch driver. It is active of course, so you will have to rethink your setup.

I really can not think of a passive speaker that will get close given your requirements.

gasolin

They are active and if i bought new more punchier "active" speakers i would also have to buy a sound card or dac that i can use to adjust the volume with.

How about thes speakers http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

gasolin

BigH said:
gasolin said:
They are active and if i bought new more punchier speakers i would also have to buy a sound card or dac that i can use to adjust the volume with.

How about thes speakers http://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/diamond-220/review

Soundcards are cheap. You can get a reasonable Asus one for about £20, probably less if you look around.

Then theres no point in upgrading soundcard if it's only a 20£ cheap one, it's best to have a constant high output from a pc and then between the pc and active speakers adjust the sound level with a dac/souncard or a volume *** (my volume *** from tc electronic is just not that good), i also like my Nad D3020 so i don't se any reason to sell it and upgrade to active speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts