Question Speaker recommendations please

123andrewk

Jan 23, 2024
Visit site
Hi all. I’ve just bought a Yamaha rn 602 amp. I’ve coupled this with an Arcam Alpha 7 cd player and some old mission M74i floor standers.
My music tastes range all the way from 90s dance music to Floyd and Zepplin. I’ve got about £250 to spend on some second hand speakers and would really value some opinions and help. It’s not that the missions are not performing, I’m just wondering if there’s anything out there that can deliver some really punchy bass. The room that my HiFi sits in is 5m by 5m with little restrictions.
I look forwrard to your comments and thank you.

123andrewk

Jan 23, 2024
Visit site
That’s a hard one, i personally think you’re going to struggle to better them. It will be more of a side step. If you want something bolder prehaps some B&Ws, qacoutics, some of the bigger kefs.
Thanks for the reply and I did wonder if my missions were the best I could afford. As I said, I’m not unhappy with them but having just bought the Yamaha, I wondered if there were any speakers that could pack a bigger punch. 👍🏻

Thanks for the reply and I did wonder if my missions were the best I could afford. As I said, I’m not unhappy with them but having just bought the Yamaha, I wondered if there were any speakers that could pack a bigger punch. 👍🏻
If you're not unhappy, leave well alone. It's the old adage: if it isn't broke, don't try and fix it.

Fandango Andy

Hi all. I’ve just bought a Yamaha rn 602 amp. I’ve coupled this with an Arcam Alpha 7 cd player and some old mission M74i floor standers.
My music tastes range all the way from 90s dance music to Floyd and Zepplin. I’ve got about £250 to spend on some second hand speakers and would really value some opinions and help. It’s not that the missions are not performing, I’m just wondering if there’s anything out there that can deliver some really punchy bass. The room that my HiFi sits in is 5m by 5m with little restrictions.
You have some great speakers there. You are going to have to spend a lot of money, or get lucky to improve on them. I'm not familiar with your amp, but given its a Yamaha it will almost certainly have a sub out option. I would stick with the missions and ad a subwoofer.

Reactions: matthewpianist

record_spot

Hi Andrew, tricky to say really. I've not heard your system or know the room your system's in, so it's tough to point out specific speakers. You'd be going down the used route, but I loved Tannoy's DC4 - a diminutive standmount, so you'd need a subwoofer to pair with them. Wharfedale's SW150 I have zero problems recommending.

If you stick with floorstanders, you should find, with patience, some Mission 752s, which originally retailed for £500 thirty years ago yet they have detail to die for but track the music beautifully without it becoming analytical overkill. A good, well looked after pair will set you back around £100. More recently, you might land some Q Acoustics models for a good price. In truth, there's a ton of gear out there.

It's a minefield buying used hifi if you're not used to the market and what's a good buy, or one to avoid. Have a look around Ebay ads and listings and get a feel for what's out there. Richer Sounds may be able to help too.

And I know you've just purchased your amp, but in time, don't write off active speakers - they're a hell of a good option later on.

Reactions: Fandango Andy

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
I can say for what it's worth the wharfdale SW 150 is a good sub woofer.
I'm not a fan of sub woofers in general and it remains off gathering dust but do remember going through a few to find one I preferred whilst doing the "sub woofer crawl".

They will give your music more body kinda the reason I'm not a fan as I prefer what's off the recording to indeed be a true reflection of what's there and not to hyper extend the lower frequencies.

Reactions: DougK1

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Oh no sorry I didnt mean to insinuate you cant afford it, just for the budget you have set yourself it may prove difficult. there are certainly designs that will pack a much bigger punch for instance the below

they are utter brutes and you will need some space. but unfortunately they're a touch above your budget but these are what id be saving for and they match well with Yamaha in my experience.

Having owned the M74i's you would need a very good subwoofer to fill out the bottom end they dont cover
in room I used to get a sold 28hz out of my missions. It was a sound I could never truly replace even when spending more up the ladder.

matthewpianist

I think you'll struggle to beat your Missions.

I never think 'punchy bass' defines the requirement clearly enough. You might mean deeper bass or you might mean faster bass, which is more precise and really punches. It would be helpful if you could clarify...

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
It's a Mysteron that nobody has mentioned the Oberon!
Dali Oberon 5's tend to sound larger than their enclosure and they handle a full range of varying frequencies very well. You may be able to find a second hand bargain on eBay. Check out also the WHF review.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts