Cinema Lines

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
How do i get rid of those annoying cinema lines without sacrificing picture quality. ive paid for a 32 inch tv, now i need to utilise all those 32 inches which iv paid for.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What, you mean the black bars too and bottom where there is no picture? The black bars that are there so that you are able to see the whole width of the picture?

As you don't seem to be interested in seeing the movie as the director intended, just select the relevant zoom setting on your TV so that the picture fills the screen.

David@FrankHarvey said:
As you don't seem to be interested in seeing the movie as the director intended, just select the relevant zoom setting on your TV so that the picture fills the screen.

Bear in mind that this would either mean the picture is abnormally stretched or you lose some picture on left and right sides.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
True on the first point, but with the second point, if he doesn't want to see it as intended, he's not going to worry about losing a bit at the sides if it gets rid of the bars he doesn't want to see.

i8nm3gp

Mar 16, 2014
Visit site
when zoomed, picture quality is sacrificed and when stretched, the picture looks wierd. my tv is not faulty at all. it's just those black lines at the top and bottom of the screen that needs to go permanently. i prefer those immersive full screen pictures. i dont like the idea of moving my seat closer to the screen.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
i8nm3gp said:
i prefer those immersive full screen pictures. i dont like the idea of moving my seat closer to the screen.

You should have bought a bigger TV then. If something is shot in a different aspect ratio than the one your TV has and you won't zoom then there isn't anything you can do, that's how the film is meant to be seen. The only other answer is don't watch any films that are shot in 2.35:1.

If you don't want to see the lines during movies, Philips 21:9 TV is the answer, which will then result in black bars on the sides when you watch 16:9 programmes.

The black bars are unavoidable if you want to retain the aspect ratio, exactly as it was shot.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
i8nm3gp said:
when zoomed, picture quality is sacrificed and when stretched, the picture looks wierd. my tv is not faulty at all. it's just those black lines at the top and bottom of the screen that needs to go permanently. i prefer those immersive full screen pictures. i dont like the idea of moving my seat closer to the screen.

Those black masks are part of the 1080 resolution. and esential to preserve the picture as the director intended it. So when you zoom in you are not looking at a 1080 resolution picture any more. More like an SD 576 picture. (I'm not going to do the maths on the actual res you would be looking at)

If you want to experience a very wide picture. 2:35.1 (21:9) for example and not have any black masks taking up space on you 16:9 (1:78.1) TV then there are 2 or 3 things you can do.

1. As suggested get a much larger TV if you have the space. You would still have the masks though but the picture would be a little more emersive like you want.

2. buy a 21:9 TV. That way you get rid of the masks top and bottom. The major down side to this is most of the content you watch is 1:78.1, watching this on a 21:9 TV wuld mean you get masks on either side of the picture to fill out the rsolution of the screen shape while keeping the actual video in 1080 much like when you watch the old 4:3 picture on a 16:9 screen, there are masks either side of the video as there is no more information to fill those parts of the screen.

3. The only option that will give you exactly what you want would be to get a projector with an namorphic lens. That way when you watch a 4:3 (1:33.1) picture you get the square picture in the middle of your projector screen with the black masks either side of the video. You could cover the masking with curtains like a cinema does. When you watch a 1:78.1 picture, it will be wider and fill more of your 21:9 projector screen. Then when you watch a 2:35.1 picture it will fill your screen completely and there will be no masking on the top, bottom or sides.

There are of course other aspect ratios inbetween what I have just listed and also wider. Disney's Sleeping Beauty is presented in 2:55.1 which is even wider than 2:35.1 so on a 16:9 TV you get even thinker black masks and a slimer line of video but you are still seeing the whole picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)

Take a look at the Visual Comparison lower down the page.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts