Christmas is coming... Sony PSP Still good??

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
My son has expressed an in interest in the Sony PSP as a number of his freinds have them. Not really looked into them at all. I was in a huge Tescos yesterday and did notice there were no games being sold?? Does this mean they are in short supply, Tescos just dont stock them or the console is being phased out completely....

He already has a Nintendo DS.

Any opinions.....

Thanks

A

Anonymous

john1000000boy said:
My son has expressed an in interest in the Sony PSP as a number of his freinds have them. Not really looked into them at all. I was in a huge Tescos yesterday and did notice there were no games being sold?? Does this mean they are in short supply, Tescos just dont stock them or the console is being phased out completely....

He already has a Nintendo DS.

Any opinions.....

Thanks

Physical games in shops for the PSP have been sparse for a while and obviously they have the new machine out now. . But there are hundreds of games on the Playstation network, many very cheap, and still excellent. And of course you can still buy games from thel likes of Amazon.

If the price is good, and he definitely wants one, I would say go for it. But buy a big memory card or 2. :)

My 6 yr old loves his, although he spends most of his (allowed) time on the PS3.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that both of you. I presume that the Vita will play all the games as the psp did. He goes on long bus journeys with his freinds and they are all linking up to play games with/against each other. Might stick with the DS just now and upgrade his Nano to the New touch. He loves his Angry Birds and Flight control... THEN HE WILL HAVE A BETTER PORTABLE THAN ME!! The new Vita looks very cutting edge with Solar Panel etc

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Don't know about the link up capability of the Vita with an old PSP I'm afraid. I've seen articles which suggest the Vita will play older PSP games as long as they've been downloaded from the PSN (as opposed to purchased on the physical UMD disc) so that part should be okay. Common sense says it should therefore all work, but difficult to say until it's been released.

The other way to think is, as February approaches, the existing PSP is likely to see a price drop. At the very least, there will probably be quite a few available on the secondhand market cheap as well.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The Vita is meant to be able to play multiplayer with PSP's. You still need a copy of the game in question of course.

To play UMD games on Vita you have to stick the UMD in the old PSP - register it with UMD passport, pay £4-12 depending on the game and then download the downloadable version onto the Vita.

The game will be upscaled on the Vita and there will be the option to choose graphical/control enhancements.

simon3102000

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
i heard their actually re-realising the psp in a budget model and will still support it alongside the new vita handheld system so you should be good for content for a couple of years. Problem is if he's friends get the ps Vita then he will be stuck on he's own with the psp.

A

Anonymous

psp was such a let down when it first came out, get him a ipad2

v1c

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
When they were younger both my daughters had/have PSP's hardly ever got used...... they both had DS's as well they got used more. My 11 year old son has access to all of them and uses the wife's i touch "ALL THE TIME !!!!" according to my wife :)

I know your lad probaby does want one John but it will be a fleeting fancy you would be better getting him an i pad or a touch IMO.

john1000000boy

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Sorry. Ended up getting him an iPod touch. He loves it and uses it all the time. Music/games/wee bit of emailing all though a.me email address monitored by us on our apple devices. The FaceTime has proved really useful as well. Apple really do make a great job of the parental monitoring of emails and Internet use. A great present which he uses all the time in his Logitech dock... Loads of his freinds have now got iPod touches too so they play games with each other.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts