Chord power amps

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Ive been looking at a couple of Chord power amps on the net, and wondering if anybody can clear up a question i have on their power ratings. They are both amps from the pro range.

The first one is the SPA1032. Power is 330w/ch@8ohms, 350w/ch@4ohms and 500w/ch burst into 2ohms

The other is the more expensive SPA1232. Power is 330w/ch@8ohms, 550w/ch@4ohms and 700w/ch burst into 2ohms

Obviously they are both powerful amps, but does the spa1032's ratings suggest it doesn't have a very high current ability as the 8ohms and 4ohm figures are so close. I would have thought a near doubling of power output into the lower impedance like the spa1232 was necessary?

Thanks
Matt

MattSPL:

Ive been looking at a couple of Chord power amps on the net, and wondering if anybody can clear up a question i have on their power ratings. They are both amps from the pro range.

The first one is the SPA1032. Power is 330w/ch@8ohms, 350w/ch@4ohms and 500w/ch burst into 2ohms

The other is the more expensive SPA1232. Power is 330w/ch@8ohms, 550w/ch@4ohms and 700w/ch burst into 2ohms

Obviously they are both powerful amps, but does the spa1032's ratings suggest it doesn't have a very high current ability as the 8ohms and 4ohm figures are so close. I would have thought a near doubling of power output into the lower impedance like the spa1232 was necessary?

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt

Chord Electronics amplifiers are extremely potent. In essence it really is a case of what quality of performance and how loud the end user needs their amplifiers to go.

The "Conventional Amplifier Design" article on their website goes a fair way of explaining (amongst other aspects) the reasons behind their amplifiers precise, instant and effortless power delivery.

Please have a listen to the album The Later After by DJ Hidden (which i think also mentioned to you on your ATC SCM19 thread). Playing this album through Chord Electronics amplifiers helps explain why they are unconditionally stable.
emotion-2.gif

Are you really likely to reach anywhere near 330w?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick, thanks for the reply.

I read the article on the chord website. Very interesting thanks.

I will get hold of the Dj Hidden cd you mention.

As for reaching near the 330watt's, if the scm19's can handle it i will probably reach it on occasion. My poor neighbours.
I listen to a lot of very bass heavy music and also make my own on my Roland MC909 groovebox.

Its more for the bass control and slam i want the power than absolute volume on most occasions.

I have my eye on an spa1032 which i might buy in a few weeks if its still for sale. Id love the 1232 but its too much money for me at the moment.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Your SCM 19's can handle 300w no problem and you need a good amp to drive them, they are power hungry. Your amp is good in that respect delivering 200w 8ohm and 300 4ohm.
I also found this extract....
In the bass, the little Krell went satisfactorily deep with fine control and above-average slam. While the all-or-nothing low-frequency grip of a big KSA wasn't present, the bass was entertaining-punchy, fast and articulate. Although it did sound slightly soft-though not tending to boominess-the amplifier's bass timed well. It was nicely rhythmic with a foot-tapping beat. Here, the littlest Krell amplifier may just have the measure of its bigger brothers.
Krell's are notoriously good in the bass. Am i missing something here!!!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
shooter69:Your SCM 19's can handle 300w no problem and you need a good amp to drive them, they are power hungry. Your amp is good in that respect delivering 200w 8ohm and 300 4ohm. I also found this extract.... In the bass, the little Krell went satisfactorily deep with fine control and above-average slam. While the all-or-nothing low-frequency grip of a big KSA wasn't present, the bass was entertaining-punchy, fast and articulate. Although it did sound slightly soft-though not tending to boominess-the amplifier's bass timed well. It was nicely rhythmic with a foot-tapping beat. Here, the littlest Krell amplifier may just have the measure of its bigger brothers. Krell's are notoriously good in the bass. Am i missing something here!!!

Thanks for the info.

Yes my Krell is a great little amp, but having owned the similar Kav300iL before and upgrading that to an FPB200, i know that a good power amp far exceeds my Kav 300i in the area's of grip and bass control/slam.

Im very happy with the sound of my system but just want more of what ive got so a power amp is the way forward.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
shooter69:Fair enough. What happened to the FPB200? Why did you let it go?

I sold the FPB200 along with my PMC IB1's just under 2 years ago when we moved house. We needed the money and my girlfriend didnt want the PMC's in the new house due to their size. I sold the Krell as i didnt think id need it without the pmc's but i was wrong.

Im now looking at a Chord amp as it will fit into the unit my amp and cd player are in. Another FPB200 wouldn't.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
Have you had the chance to listen to Chord?

If you get a chance it may be worth wile an audition. From experience bass from Chord is good at being non resonant and taut but can be lean sounding. Chord will give you control but i'm not sure about "slam"

The PMC's are a very nice speaker what finish did you have?

A

Anonymous

Good question above - have you heard the Chord amps in question?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Depends - 7b monoblocks go for around £2k, and they were £3k each. You're probably looking at a 4b. I do know someone who parted with a 9b (5 channel amp) for £1k recently - the current equivalent is about £6k!!

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i saw a 9b on ebay a week or 2 ago.
There is a pair of 7b's on there now

Wouldn't go for mono's due to space as thats the only reason im shying away from another FPB200.

I need the amp to fit into my Hifi/tv stand which i will add another shelf to accomodate but it will be tight to fit a power amp in. Thats why the Chord amps appeal as they are rack mountable with their fans so will work in confined space

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:MattSPL:

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt

Chord Electronics amplifiers are extremely potent. In essence it really is a case of what quality of performance and how loud the end user needs their amplifiers to go.

The "Conventional Amplifier Design" article on their website goes a fair way of explaining (amongst other aspects) the reasons behind their amplifiers precise, instant and effortless power delivery.

Please have a listen to the album The Later After by DJ Hidden (which i think also mentioned to you on your ATC SCM19 thread). Playing this album through Chord Electronics amplifiers helps explain why they are unconditionally stable.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick

Ordered Thr DJ Hidden cd last night after listening to 30 seconds of each track online.
Sounds like my kind of cd. Very similar to Photek.

When you suggest i hear this cd through Chord amplifiers, will this demonstrate their greater speed than a conventional amplifier design?

Thanks

Matt

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am using Chapter Audio Preface/Couplet power which was design by Chord's ex engineers, I think Chapter has the same overall control but even more musical. The Couplet Power amp is stunning! a lot better than old model.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
How about MF's Super charger's. Either the 550k or 750k. You wont need rack space and take they up little floor space. £700 on e-bay for the 550k's.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i thought about them before, especially the 750k's as they seemed to get far better reviews than the 550's for some reason.

But those 550k's for £700 look like a bargain though.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah seen that review alright. Sounds amazing, but the 550's don't get the same great review which is a shame considering that pair available so cheap.

MattSPL:MUSICRAFT:MattSPL:

Thanks
Matt

Hi Matt

emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Rick

Ordered Thr DJ Hidden cd last night after listening to 30 seconds of each track online.
Sounds like my kind of cd. Very similar to Photek.

When you suggest i hear this cd through Chord amplifiers, will this demonstrate their greater speed than a conventional amplifier design?

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

Yes, i believe this CD will effectively demonstrate Chord Electronics amplifiers blistering power delivery and vice like grip. Their amplifiers are operating at a very high level so therefore can track the waveform of signals extemely accurately. Their HF power supplies are charging capacitors quicker than speakers can drain them.

Would you rather have amplification that is charging capacitors at 80,000 times a second or at 50 times a second?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rick, thanks for the reply.

That 80,000 times a second really puts it into perspective. They must be amazing amps, especially for Dj hidden type music.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
I've bought the DJ Hidden album too in order to test my Leema stuff. Hopefully, it won't lead to a case of upgradeitis as those Leema Altairs are very expensive.

TRENDING THREADS