Amp power

Alfi76

Jul 1, 2021
Visit site
Hello guys

newby here, so please be gentle. I just bought a pair of speaker which according to the manufacturer can be used with amplifiers in the 25-100W range. My speaker are 6ohms and I just learned today that power delivery from the amp change according to the speakers impedance.
My amp specs are: 35 +35W, 4ohms , 1KHz and THD 0.7%. Using an online calculator i figured out that it will give 23W to my 6ohms speakers.
My questions is:
does the 25-100W range mean that the speaker will be louder with some amps and quieter with others?
Are speakers not usually rated for optimal performance?
Is 23W enough to get some decent sound (please try to ignore all other factors which affect quality)? Will 23W still be enough even if the speakers should be connected to amps between 25-100W?
Thanks for your help.

An amp with too much power is safer than one with too little, but you are only likely to cause damage if you play at very high volume levels. Power doesn't affect how accurately an amp reproduces sound, but it does enable better control of the speakers' drive units. Gain tells you more about loudness than outright power.

gasolin

35 +35W, 4ohms , 1KHz and THD 0.7%. you can only use for knowing that the amp don't have much power

If it where 2x25 watt from 20-20khz and THD 0.7% in 8 ohm it would have much more power

Rated power at 1 khz is just to make you think it has alot of power since a test tone at 1khz can be alot louder than music from 20-20khz

Could be the amp only has 2x25 watt from 20-20khz in 4 ohm with under 1% thd

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Is it a valve or transistor amplifier?

I wouldn't get too hung up on just power.

23 Watts is plenty for 'decent' listening if you are not a head banger though it could bang heads if your speakers are super efficient. Most of use use a couple or so Watts in normal, domestic settings maybe a few more if higher levels are asked for.

All depends on the quality of the Watts. Whilst the figures you quoted may not seem impressive on paper, if it's a good valve amplifier with heavy duty power supply and good voltage swing you could be in for a treat. Same for a 'low' powered Class A transistor device. - On the other hand if it is a c***** little SS amplifier ...

23 Watts is plenty for 'decent' listening if you are not a head banger though it could bang heads if your speakers are super efficient. Most of use use a couple or so Watts in normal, domestic settings maybe a few more if higher levels are asked for.

All depends on the quality of the Watts. Whilst the figures you quoted may not seem impressive on paper, if it's a good valve amplifier with heavy duty power supply and good voltage swing you could be in for a treat. Same for a 'low' powered Class A transistor device. - On the other hand if it is a c***** little SS amplifier ...
My money is on a transistor mini system!

Bumrah

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys

newby here, so please be gentle. I just bought a pair of speaker which according to the manufacturer can be used with amplifiers in the 25-100W range. My speaker are 6ohms and I just learned today that power delivery from the amp change according to the speakers impedance.
My amp specs are: 35 +35W, 4ohms , 1KHz and THD 0.7%. Using an online calculator i figured out that it will give 23W to my 6ohms speakers.
My questions is:
does the 25-100W range mean that the speaker will be louder with some amps and quieter with others?
Is 23W enough to get some decent sound (please try to ignore all other factors which affect quality)? Will 23W still be enough even if the speakers should be connected to amps between 25-100W?
Thanks for your help.
You can't really say "ignore other factors which affect quality) as power alone does not dictate sound quality. It is how the power is delivered, reserve power etc. The first watt can be the most important one.

Reactions: nopiano
D

Deleted member 160668

This.

Mine is 23W, class A, but it goes plenty loud enough. I could not get near full volume before it would become uncomfortable.

23W is certainly plenty enough W for me.

Hello guys

My questions is:
Thanks for your help.
It's always better to have amp with more power. A underpowered amp can make the speakers 'clip' or distort. Continued clipping can damage the speakers. Not cool.
It would help to know what amp and speakers you own.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts