Chord Chameleon Plus - quick sanity check

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
All - I'm looking for the above cable - majority of the time it seems a new version of this cable retails at over £100 but then I stumbled across the below - am I missing something or is this just a good deal?

http://www.hifigear.co.uk/chord-chameleon-plus-subwoofer-cable.html

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
That's a subwoofer cable, ie one cable, not a pair. Is that what you want?

That price is for 1m, which seems similar to other retailers. Longer lengths cost more and go above £100 at around 3m by the look of it.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/chord_chameleon_silver_plus.shtml?googlecpc

Anyone know if the VEE plugs make a noticeable difference? If not think I'll pick up some old version off ebay for circa £40

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
BluePotato said:
http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/chord_chameleon_silver_plus.shtml?googlecpc

Anyone know if the VEE plugs make a noticeable difference? If not think I'll pick up some old version off ebay for circa £40

Some think they do, some don't. Why not try for yourself and save the trouble of wondering? :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BluePotato said:
This looks more like it. Only need 0.5m so under £90 seems decent deal still.

The only price like that I can see is Peter Tyson, which is for the silver plus, which I think is a different cable. Do you know which you want? I would suggest telephoning a retailer, trying to sort out both a discount and a 30 day sale or return period, in case you can't really tell any difference.

T

the record spot

Yes, make sure, for that money, that the period of burn-in time (if they're suggesting that it requires one, which personally I think is rubbish) is the amount of time you have on your sale-or-return period. None of this "give it 100 hours mate" and you get the weekend or similar to make up your mind.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
BenLaw said:
BluePotato said:
This looks more like it. Only need 0.5m so under £90 seems decent deal still.

The only price like that I can see is Peter Tyson, which is for the silver plus, which I think is a different cable. Do you know which you want? I would suggest telephoning a retailer, trying to sort out both a discount and a 30 day sale or return period, in case you can't really tell any difference.

I was working on the basis that Chord Chameleon Plus and Chord Chameleon Silver Plus are the same cable - can't see 2 versions on the Chord site.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I have this interconnect (with vee plugs) and it made a noticeable improvement to my system. Mids have more energy and and there is more detail across the board however bass is a little lighter. As for burn in I've had mine nearly a year from new and haven't noticed any change in sound.

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
Ben K. said:
I have this interconnect (with vee plugs) and it made a noticeable improvement to my system. Mids have more energy and and there is more detail across the board however bass is a little lighter. As for burn in I've had mine nearly a year from new and haven't noticed any change in sound.

Ben - super, this is exactly what im looking for in terms of impact - hopefully it will have a similar impact for me. Tempted to wait and see if something comes up on ebay now.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I went to the chord demo at the bristol show where they demoed the cable first with the old metal plugs and then with the new plugs and for my ears there was a big improvement. The Chord guy was saying that the less un shielded metal there is the less interference and the demo seemed to support that point.

I would get the new one ....

BluePotato

May 30, 2012
Visit site
kmlav said:
I went to the chord demo at the bristol show where they demoed the cable first with the old metal plugs and then with the new plugs and for my ears there was a big improvement. The Chord guy was saying that the less un shielded metal there is the less interference and the demo seemed to support that point.

I would get the new one ....

Interesting - thanks. I'm assuming you will have heard the new VEE3 plug version rather than the previous VEE. Peter Tyson's have offered my 0.5m on VEE3 for £105 or 1m (no 0.5m left) on the previous VEE version for £90. Think if you're spending £90, you might as well spend £105! :grin:

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/chord_chameleon_vee_3.shtml

http://www.petertyson.co.uk/ebuttonz/ebz_product_pages/chord_chameleon_silver_plus.shtml

MoJoe

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Anyone seen any deals on the Chord Chameleon VEE 3? After buying cables for the phono stage I simply must have one for the CD player.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi BluePatato

Don't know if you have bought anything yet but if you can a Chord Chameleon with these plugs on for cheap off ebay or old stock from somewhere. You would be able to send them to Chord company and they will change the ends for the VEE 3 plugs £10 and end (pretty sure thats £40) so if you got one say for £50 on ebay then got the VEE 3's put on you would have a £120 worth of cable for £90.

http://www.audio-cinema.co.uk/chord-chameleon-silver-plus-rca--xlr-interconnect-2415-p.asp

I have both, one with these old metal ends and one with the Original VEE plugs and at some point will send them back to have them changed for VEE 3's

The blue cable hasn't changed in construction only the termination so if you got the VEE 3's put on you would have exactly the same cable they sell now on the site.

Just to fill you in if you don't know. The VEE 3 plug is an improvement on the VEE plug. The reason they went straight to VEE 3 from just VEE is to do with not wanting to upset anybody calling them VEE 2 (if you know your world war 2 history regarding the german V2 rockets)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts