CD Player circa £200

bobchiba

Mar 16, 2008
Visit site
Finally decided I should bit the bullet and buy a CDP as im spending too much money on records. Looking at the £200 range, maybe something new or possibly an ebay ex-dem/used player thats going to sell for around that.

My set up at current is Rega P1 playing out of mission 734's, BiAmped with an alpha 8R on highs and a Delta 290P on lows. I was thining of maybe picking up a delta black box combo, if anyone has experience with them? or possibly a reasonably priced alpha 7/8 on ebay. Also, new, what is the Nad of that price range like.

What Im looking for is something that hides compression as well as possible, being a vinyl lover, Im not bothered about bass as long as whats there is clean, and ideally due to my speakers/room, something thats as less harsh sounding as possible. I listen to alot of 80's alternative/post punk and some reggae, and like strings to stand out.

A

Anonymous

Well, even with thousands of pounds you aren't going to find a cd player that sounds as sweet as vinyl does. It's all down to the limitations of the cd format itself. I'd say at that budget, if you want something that is minimally harsh, go for a NAD player. The Marantz CD6002 is very well reviewed but it does have bright highs which are very 'digital' on occasions. The NAD models smooth off the treble and sound much more pleasing, so they'd be better IMO if you prefer a vinyl sound. If you're willing to go secondhand, add Arcam and Rega to the list. I'm intrigued why buying cds will be cheaper than buying vinyl though...

A

Anonymous

I agree wholeheartedly. If it helps I had an old planet attached to my Rotel Rx602 with the venerable 731 Pros, (my beloved second system) it was extremely sweet, admittedly the old mosfet amp wasn't prone to harshness but the combo of the Planet and the old roty was almost a little too soft.

Although I don't know about the 1997ish planet versus this new beauty.

T

the record spot

Shop around and you might find a Linn Mimik for this price. As new it would've set you back about £800; I picked mine up a year back and it's a great player. Very analogue in fact, so it works well alongside my P3. Very nice sound; full, some warmth, but very detailed too. £295 well spent, but the price has come right down since then.

For the money, it's an absolute steal; get a later model and Linn even offer an upgrade path too.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts