What to uprgrade first?

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I'm in the process of re-organising my system and wondered if anyone could suggest the most cost efficient uprgade I could make with a budget of between £200 and £500.

Currently my sources are a Cambridge CD640v2 CD player, Pure DRX 701SE DAB tuner and my Toshiba laptop playing Itunes (320kbps and lossless) via a USB soundcard. All of these are connected to a Beresford DAC and then to a Harmon Kardon HK620 amp (good in it's time, apparently...). QED Silver Anniversary speaker cables bi-wired to Monitor Audio B2's and my interconnects are a mix of IXOS 103, 104 and QED QNECT2.

I've also just bought a PS3 and would love to make the most of the surround sound options but am wary of an AV amp. Would something on the level of the Onkyo 606 av amp match my current amp for musicality or could it possibly surpass it? (The HK620 cost around £250 in 1994 if I remember correctly).

I've also seen some Arcam Alpha 10 amps with the 5.1 upgrade on ebay for around £250 and thought this might be a possible upgrade path, although I realise this wouldn't make the most of Blu-rays abilities.

As you can see, I have the feeling that my amp is the weak link in my system and the question is whether to settle for a stereo amp or go for a surround sound one, or maybe the Arcam route.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

i think u should a get stereo amp..... like roksan kandy L3

John Duncan

I'd agree - add a 500 quid stereo amp and take the preouts from your HK if you want surround (if it has them, i haven't looked).

Edit - though reading how much it cost and when, I'd doubt it - so add a 400 quid stereo amp and a Yamaha DSP-E800 off ebay
emotion-2.gif

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your replies guys.

I had been thinking about the Yamaha E800, and have seen some knocking around second-hand (I just missed one on ebay actually - blast!). When I get of hold of one it should do nicely in the short term.

With regard to a stereo amp, I have added the Roksan Kandy L3 to the shortlist, it's a bit above my budget though. I going to buy a plasma/lcd tv too so I can only throw a certain amount of money at the amp.

Any more suggestions for a £400/£500 amp that will suit my Cambridge cd player and Monitor Audio speakers....?

John Duncan

For 400 and under, my favourite by far is the Marantz PM7001 - even better if you can find the KI version for the same money, as a couple of people here have done recently (one guy got one for 200 on eBay). Would suit the MAs a bit better than the ubiquitous PM6002, I think, but audition first as always.

I'd recommend the Creek Evo direct from Creek for about 300, but I think it has inexplicable issues integrating into an AV setup (ask gerrardasnails).

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the advice John.

I'm now on the case looking for a good deal on one of those stereo amps and also the Yamaha add-on.

The Creek is probably out of the running due to those AV problems (I read gerradasnails posts).

Cheers!

John Duncan

Second hand KI version for £375 b.i.n. here and a couple of DSP-E800s going as well, but the one with a BIN price is way too high - take a look at prices fetched recently, I think the average is about 60/70 quid.
cheers

jd

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="sensei_russ"]Thanks for the advice John.

I'm now on the case looking for a good deal on one of those stereo amps and also the Yamaha add-on.

The Creek is probably out of the running due to those AV problems (I read gerradasnails posts).

Cheers![/quote] I felt my ears burning!! Do you have a 5.1 system at present? I'm just wondering as you mentioned bluray and people are advising you on receivers and the like. I would go for a stereo amp like the Marantz that John mentioned - I've heard it's excellent - if you get one at a good price on ebay and it's not to your liking, you can resell it no problem. If you get that for say £250, I would wait and save another £200 for a receiver - the new ones coming out soon might tick all your boxes. If you want HD audio through your PS3 with bluray, the new Denon 1909 could be the one. This would future proof you for a few years. The 1908 had pre outs so rest assured there and HD audio for around £400 is excellent. The other model (which I will probably go for) is the Sony STR-DA2400es - again preouts, HD audio and for around £375.

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]For 400 and under, my favourite by far is the Marantz PM7001 - even better if you can find the KI version for the same money, as a couple of people here have done recently (one guy got one for 200 on eBay). Would suit the MAs a bit better than the ubiquitous PM6002, I think, but audition first as always.

I'd recommend the Creek Evo direct from Creek for about 300, but I think it has inexplicable issues integrating into an AV setup (ask gerrardasnails).[/quote]

JD. . .is there a significant step-up in sound quality with the KI over the the standard version? I only mention it because I can't recall WHFS&V making any reference to the KI model (I could be mistaken).

A

Anonymous

I got the great deal on the PM7001 KI Sig and I can only sing it's praises.

I never thought my Rogers LS55 speakers could sound THIS good. They have really opened up. The level of bass depth only really shows at slightly higher volumes, the kind that can't be played when your baby is sleeping upstairs.

This easily outclasses the my PM66SE KI Sig and the Roksan Kandy and IMO would put up a good fight against the Caspian.

The amp is very true to it's source and shows even the finest of detail in any recording in a way much better than the other amps I've mentioned. The level of clarity is exceptional. I've run these with my CD6000 OSE, an Arcam CD192, Cambridge DAB500 (plus a few other sources). I've not got round to playing with my new cables yet so they are all connected with VDH D102Mk3 hybrid interconnects and QED Silver anni bi-wire.

The amp can drive two sets of speakers and according to the diagram in the manual I should bi-wire by connecting the HF/mids to the Speaker 1 terminals and the LF to Speaker 2 terminals.

Anyhoo, the result is superb.

Of course, speaker choice is important too so go and have a listen in your local hifi shop.

I did fork out for a couple of pairs of budget Gotham interconnects from fleabay (for about £15) as recommended by some users here. In comparison with the VDH ICs, they are worlds apart. After electing my wife to help with some blind testing with a couple of mates this weekend (it was father's day after all), it was obvious which cables were preferred. The budget cables sounded flat and dull with reduced bass weight and lack of clarity on vocal performances. I was surprised when I put another VDH (ironically VDH The Second) in top place and I relegated my D102's to second.

Out of the four, the supermarket Profigold's and Gothams sounded very similar and were 3rd and 4th respectively. None of us rated the Gothams higher than 3rd. The two VDH cables shared either 1st and 2nd by each listener.

So you like it then? In terms of presentation, how do the Rogers stake up with MA RS6's? As you know, its pointless having good individual components if they are mismatched.

There are a number of people on the forum that say the RS6's have an uncomfortable top-end (my words, no one elses) although I've only ever heard them in my living room - and the retailers. I compared them with the kef's & they sounded lively, not tooth-achingly so (IMHO). Mind you, I have an Arcam amp so will probably explain most things.

Back to the drawing-board.

sensei_russ

Jun 11, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gerrardasnails,

Yes I've been reading about your AV problems with the Creek Evo, as a result I'm probably looking at the Marantz 7001ki.
(Did that problem ever get solved?)

I do have 5.1 sound at the moment but only though a Toshiba CRT widescreen tv which came with surround speakers. I'm about to upgrade this to an LCD or Plasma so won't have surround sound which will be a bit of a wrench as I'm now used to hearing movies and playing Call of Duty and GTA4 on the PS3 in Dolby Digital.

Would I be able to have my speakers connected up to both the Stereo amp and also receiver.....? Or are you suggesting I connect the amp and av receiver via pre-outs?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I guess this all depends on how you prefer your music.

I think someone else painted the analogy quite well, but I can't find it.

When I listen to my music I like to feel I'm sat right there in front of them while they're performing live or right there in the recording studio.

I like my music to make me feel the emotion of the piece whether it's lively, punchy, warm n cosy, sad/solemn etc.

My reference material is a bit dated but Nanci Griffith is tops for vocal recordings studio and live. I've been to many of her concerts so I know how I like her music and vocals to sound. There's a of of acoustic guitar to listen out for.

Fleetwood Mac is great for big weighty sound and big arrangements.

Tesla is great for vocals, guitar, bass etc

There's a few more too and all highlight different aspects to me whilst having a distinct atmosphere too

So you have to choose what you want to look out for and find it.

I'm not sure how the Rogers LS55 speakers compare with the MAs as my Rogers are ancient in comparison.

In the past a lot of people have said the Marantz sound is quite controlled and restrained. Well if that's the case the PM7001 KI Sig has unleashed Marantz from this misunderstood stereotype.

A

Anonymous

I forgot to say I use little known "Leatherwolf's - Street Ready" for my punchy, pacey metal reference and on the lighter side of rock Van Halen.

Much as though I love Deep Purple and Rainbow, I find the original recordings are dynamically limited.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts