1K to spend on new hifi, cd player and intergrated amp, help advice.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
im new to this forum, but wondered if i could get some help from people that have had chance to listen to certain hi fi components and maybe mixed them with other brands that havnt yet been reviewed in what hi fi.

i have sold my prevoius hi fi, and i have kept my speakers, cables and power leads.

my speakers are audio vector m3 signatures, they were 1400quid about 3-4 years ago and that was at a discount, ive always wanted to get the hi fi they deserve but havnt got thousands to throw at it.

i have qed 20 quid a metre speaker cable and ecosse nu diva .5m inconnects, the power leads are true colours cant remember which ones they are they but they cost me 100 quid each.

basically i have roughly 1k maybe 1100 to spend on a new cd player and amp, i have done valve buffers and external dacs in my previous system.

im looking at marantz 7003 8003 both cd player and amp, im looking at the rega apollo cd player, also the creek evo 2 amp. ive also looked into ebay to maybe get something 2nd hand so maybe could get a more mid range hifi for a cheaper price. example roksan kandy k2 amp and naim cd5i, cyrus 6se and 8se cd players.

i would like a powerful amp, which fits the roksan kandy k2 spec, the other other amp ive looked at that didnt get a great review in whf is the azur 840a v2.

i listen to a wide range of music genre, from modern rock pop to older rock pop, pop, hip hop dance electro, to acoutic music, i know its hard to match speakers to hi fi components to cover all the genres but a i think i can do this with some advice.

i also have a vinyl player, im not a serious vinyl person but have a good 50-75 records that i like to player at a good quality so an amp with a phono stage would be handy.

previous system was marantz 8400 sa cd player pm8200 amp with a musical fidelity x tube x dac 24k with a musical fidelity x cube v3 tube buffer. with cables and speakers as above.

if you guys have ideas not mentioned above it would be great to hear your thoughts.

thanks for your time

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
You've got a good budget to work with. The Creek Evo 2 amp/cd or original Evo amp/cd are a good choice within your budget that should match very well with your speakers. Benefit of the Evo or newer Evo 2 amp is that you can add Creek's in built high quality phono boards relatively easily to enjoy your vinyl - do you know if your cartridge is MM (moving magnet) or MC (moving coil?)

One thing you didn't also mention was cables and a stand - I'm guessing you have both from your prior system. If so, what speaker cables and interconnects have you been using?

Creek offers one of the best amp/cd combos within your budget that is very musical and shouldn't disappoint based on the kit you've been listening to in the past
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

i like the look and the write up of the creek amp, but cant find a review. on these forums i found someone say the original evo amp was better than the cambridge audio 840a amp which was about 150 plus more so they reckon the evo 2 must be a good amp. just hard to front up 550 for an amp with not a lot of reviews.

are there phono boards for the creek amp that are different qaulity or just mc mm, found one board on ebay at 85 quid and the other was 50 i think.

i was thinking of partnering that up with the rega apollo cd player, just because that has had rave reviews and looks the part i like the look of the open top cd tray.

i have a 5 tier glass stand rack, and the cables are qed speaker cable and the interconnects or ecosse nu diva, i also have true colours power leads, just need to add the cd and amp.

i was going to get a roksan kandy k2 amp from a guy off ebay for around 630 and try and a cd player to that, the naim cd5i or the cyrus 6se.

i dont know if i should get something 2nd hand that cost more money new or get new and get the creek amp and the rega apollo cd player on my budget just

its difficult

mickford:

i like the look and the write up of the creek amp, but cant find a review. on these forums i found someone say the original evo amp was better than the cambridge audio 840a amp which was about 150 plus more so they reckon the evo 2 must be a good amp. just hard to front up 550 for an amp with not a lot of reviews.

are there phono boards for the creek amp that are different qaulity or just mc mm, found one board on ebay at 85 quid and the other was 50 i think.

i was thinking of partnering that up with the rega apollo cd player, just because that has had rave reviews and looks the part i like the look of the open top cd tray.

i have a 5 tier glass stand rack, and the cables are qed speaker cable and the interconnects or ecosse nu diva, i also have true colours power leads, just need to add the cd and amp.

i was going to get a roksan kandy k2 amp from a guy off ebay for around 630 and try and a cd player to that, the naim cd5i or the cyrus 6se.

i dont know if i should get something 2nd hand that cost more money new or get new and get the creek amp and the rega apollo cd player on my budget just

its difficult

Hi Mickford

Found this on the Bay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Silver-NEW-/170571304019?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27b6d78c53

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-CD82-CD-Player-/230557493869?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item35ae4c2a6d

Both of these will work a treat and the amp has MM and MC phono stage.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Cables and racking sound good. The original Evo is a stunning amplifier IMHO - improved on with the Evo 2 but you may be able to pick up the original one for a little less. There is the option of either Creeks "standard" or SE phono boards which come in about the different prices you suggested giving you an option and possible upgrade path if you take the cheaper option.

A

Anonymous

you guys know much about the rega apollo cd player? or would the creek evo 2 cd player suit better?

opinions on naim cd5i, cyrus 6 or 8se? roksan kandy k2?

mickford:

you guys know much about the rega apollo cd player? or would the creek evo 2 cd player suit better?

opinions on naim cd5i, cyrus 6 or 8se? roksan kandy k2?

Firstly, The Leema will blow the Creek away - I've heard both. The Creek is a fabulous amp but lacks the inputs, hence why I threw caution to the wind and bought the Pulse.

Not heard the Rega Apollo, but have heard the Exposure 2010S and it's superb. Should match either Creek or Leema very well.

A

Anonymous

leema and exposure are new ones on me. but i have looked them up and they look and review very well.

can you look at this link and tell me is this the pulse you have

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-NEW-/170573339535?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27b6f69b8f

or this http://www.hifigear.co.uk/leema-pulse-integrated-amplifier.html

the first one is more my price range and also the exposure 2010s have you heard the s2 or just the s

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exposure-2010-S2-CD-Player-Titanium-/390260755901?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item5add5a8dbd

or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXPOSURE-2010S-CD-PLAYER-BLACK-BRANDNEW-/290507473238?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item43a3984156

seems like the leema pulse could be done with the 2010s as in my budget. are they capable of playing all genres of music? or most?

A

Anonymous

sorry one more thing, seem you can pick up the exposure s cd and amp combo on ebay for 950 quid, heard the amp atall?

compared to the creek evo 2 and the leema pulse?

mickford:

leema and exposure are new ones on me. but i have looked them up and they look and review very well.

can you look at this link and tell me is this the pulse you have

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Leema-Acoustics-Pulse-Integrated-Amplifier-Black-NEW-/170573339535?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item27b6f69b8f

or this http://www.hifigear.co.uk/leema-pulse-integrated-amplifier.html

the first one is more my price range and also the exposure 2010s have you heard the s2 or just the s

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exposure-2010-S2-CD-Player-Titanium-/390260755901?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item5add5a8dbd

or http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EXPOSURE-2010S-CD-PLAYER-BLACK-BRANDNEW-/290507473238?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item43a3984156

seems like the leema pulse could be done with the 2010s as in my budget. are they capable of playing all genres of music? or most?

This is mine:

A

Anonymous

in the review it mentions that the pulse needs to be paired correctly with the right components and cables or could sound light weight, kinda makes me think is the apollo the right cd player for this amp along with my current speakers and and cables.

also with some of my music choices. i like the fact it got a 5 star review and also has the phono stage that is mc and mm.

is the remote that bad?

what music do you listen to?

mickford:

in the review it mentions that the pulse needs to be paired correctly with the right components and cables or could sound light weight, kinda makes me think is the apollo the right cd player for this amp along with my current speakers and and cables.

also with some of my music choices. i like the fact it got a 5 star review and also has the phono stage that is mc and mm.

is the remote that bad?

what music do you listen to?

Let's dispell some myths about the Leema: Firstly, the bass lacks with the very deepest of bass. In fact, when I compared it to the Caspian and Naim XS you could fit a *** paper betwwen the lot. In isolation it NOT noticable.

System matching is no better or worse than other brands: if you partner the Pulse with bright CDPs, speakers it may prove too much, hence why I mentioned Arcam, Exposure...

As you see from my sig on paper the Pulse and MA RS6 speakers sounds like a hideous combo, but using the Arcam CDP, Marantz Tuner (albeit 30 years old) it takes any nasty edges off the Leema.

Condering the RRP was almost £1300, the £749 (same as mine cost) is superb value. Can't praise it any higher.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts