CD Lens cleaner recommendation?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Unless you're having problems with discs not reading or skipping, I wouldn't bother. Too many forum comments in the past along the lines of 'I tried a cleaning disc and now it won't play anything'...

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
The cheap ones with what looks like an eyelash stuck on the playing area are perfect for bashing the delicate lens assembly mercilessly if that's what you're after.
The only proper way to completely clean an optical lens is very very carefully with alcohol and a special "q-tip" stick, if you are not up for the job then a good repair job could help (are there any left in the UK?).
The lens in optical players pick up dirt and if there are smokers in the room, the lens does tend to get eventually get coated in a film of gunk.

The operation only takes a few seconds and the results can be quite dramatic, as a clean laser lens means less digital error correction due to poor reading.

I strip my stuff apart every six months for a good vacuum and clean but that's probably excessive in most cases.

A

Anonymous

Tonya:

The only proper way to completely clean an optical lens is very very carefully with alcohol and a special "q-tip" stick,

imho this is an unwise thing to do unless you're 100% positive that the lens is actual glass. Lots of lenses are acrylic, and should never be cleaned with alcohol for obvious reasons. In my experience the same method with distilled water works fine. I second that this is a better solution than "bash with eyelash stick" ;-)

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
Ahh, I should have said a mild alcohol based cleaner, of which I have in a small brown bottle but not at hand so I can't remember the name of it offhand.

Note to self : be more specific in future!

Distilled water can of course be used as you correctly suggest, KevinOK!

TRENDING THREADS