Calling all Panny VT20, V20, Owners

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Im interested in this TV but have read various reports of motion problems when viewing 50Hz footage (Freeview, Freesat, Sky HD), Blu Ray and 3D dont have this issue.

The main problem is with fast pans, football is meant to be a major problem, bad motion and double lines are meant to be clearly visible with IFC off, and with it on the ball will vanish, jump around etc when passing over crowd.

So does anyone who owns these TV's have this problem? Did Whathifi notice anything like this with their review set?

D

Deleted member 2457

I watched the england match, norwich match on mine and they both looked excellent to me. The problems you refer too i have noticed can happen but certainly only occassionally and never as much as to be a problem. I did notice some problems on the VT20 with the picture that i have not noticed on the V20 not sure what the technical term is might be banding,not sure.

Also i think having the screen set up right can help things greatly.
emotion-21.gif

Jonnyhifi

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Watching the England match on ITV HD the other day was the first football viewing on my new VT20, and the juddering of the ball each time the goalie kicked it upfield was quite alarming. Switching to the same channel via Sky HD made little difference. However once IFC was turned off the problem was solved. I've watched afew matches via Sky since then with no motion issues, just a superbly sharp and detailed image.

A

Anonymous

i've got a vt20 - had problems in the world cup - but not on sky hd, my opinion is its around the feed quality and maybe interuption on the feed that only shows on that movement.

Man utd game totally awesome tonight on the vt20

A

Anonymous

This is now a known issue. I'm surprised most reviewers have not noticed this. I have a G20 and the fault is on fast panning scenes on 50hz programmes (e.g. FreeView, FreeView HD). The fault does not occur on blu-ray. I tend to notice the problem on programmes such as Dragons Den, Come Dine With Me and Location, Location, Location. When the camera pans quickly from one persons face to another a sort of ghosting/blurring effect occurs. I haven't seen the issue on any of the football including the world cup in HD. I always have IFC switched off as I don't like the un-natural effect that it has on movement. There's a very long thread about this issue on another well known forum.

This is one of those issues that you can miss at first but once you notice it it can drive you mad. The G20 is a really good TV apart from this issue. I used to have an LCD and the colours and contrast on the plasma are much better. LCD's have their own problems with motion handling - I know I used to have one. I'm hoping Panasonic come up with a firmware fix for this issue but they probably won't.

The old CRT technology wipes the floor with all modern HDTV's in terms of motion handling.

A

Anonymous

Interesting thread. I was all for getting a 46G20 but now I'm beginning to regret getting hut of my 36" Toshiba crt. We had a Samsung 46C750 but I found the motion blurring on pans gave me a bit of a headache. We have been just over a week without a tv. It's been quite nice to listen to music on an evening whilst the wife sits and reads a book.

A

Anonymous

I tested one instore at the weekend but only had SD football via my sky-hd box, with IFS on the ball would vanish and jump around when passing over the crowd, and with IFS off you would get judder, all the pitch lines would be double lines (tramlines) when panning.. I could see it clearly on a goal kick from one end of the pitch to another, keep and eye on the center line as it pans..

There is a lot about it on another forum, some people claim they dont see it, some do see, to me it was obvious and im just and average viewer, there is no answer and none of the reviews have picked up on it and panasonic so far are denying this is a problem..

very frustrating as the 3D and blu ray picture is fantastic

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
the tv you are testing i dont think is calibrated well i was watching gamer (lots of action in this movie) and didnt have a problem if you`re gonna spend over a grand on a tv you might aswell watch it in hd it has freesat and freeview hd surely you can test the fooball in higher resolution

A

Anonymous

Acutally I had gamer on anytime in HD and tried that opening 10 mins, like you say lots of action and it looked fantastic.. I tried it in all modes, and also took some pro1 calibrated settings off the web and tried those.. it made no differance..

Freeview and Freesat dont show HD football at weekends, its all on Sky Sports and the shop i went to dosent have sky , neither did a local currys i tried.. so im not able to test.. that the main reason for posting to see is any owners with sky hd have seen the problem

A

Anonymous

as its an owners thread - what are your settings? mine on THX are motion stuff off and contrast and brightness up a few clicks, more on contrast than brightness (very scientific!)

D

Deleted member 2457

johnb1966:as its an owners thread - what are your settings? mine on THX are motion stuff off and contrast and brightness up a few clicks, more on contrast than brightness (very scientific!)

At present i have normal settings with PNR on medium on freeview and High on blu ray, IFC on, resolution enhancer max.

What do you think to them? thanks.

You know you have yours on THX and motion up a bit surely that is just the same as normal mode isn't it?

I would love to hear if the what hi fi team wrote down there settings for this tv as well? If you did could it be possible for you to publish them on here for us? Thanks

A

Anonymous

gel - i can t find settings anywhere. I assume THX is the best route without calibration but the picture needs a little more brightness for me - does that invalidate the quality of the THX settings? i dont know!

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
But there suggestions for settings around. FlatpanelsHD for instance in their review.

And even though many note that setting up should be done individually (not two screens are identical, or surroundings for that matter) I would still argue it gives you a better result than most people can do on their own.

D

Deleted member 2457

johnb1966:gel - i can t find settings anywhere. I assume THX is the best route without calibration but the picture needs a little more brightness for me - does that invalidate the quality of the THX settings? i dont know!

What do you mean by you can't find the settings? do you mean the recommended settings for the tv? or you don't know where on the tv to find it?

I don't know with the THX mode being the best route either, i can't see how it is different to any other mode, is it? It appears exactly the same as normal mode but with the contrast slightly up is that correct?

Tomorrow i am going to pop into my local av shop and ask the guy who set mine up the first time because it looked outstanding when i first had it, i will then report back what he says to me
emotion-21.gif
i spoke on the phone with the shop and they said to fiddle with the sharpness and in my lcd/plasma mag they mentioned fiddling with it too, so i think that might be the key.

D

Deleted member 2457

TKratz:

But there suggestions for settings around. FlatpanelsHD for instance in their review.

And even though many note that setting up should be done individually (not two screens are identical, or surroundings for that matter) I would still argue it gives you a better result than most people can do on their own.

FlatpanelsHD i have not heard of them, who are they and can you tell me where i could find them?

Cheers.

daveh75

gel:TKratz:

FlatpanelsHD i have not heard of them, who are they and can you tell me where i could find them?

Cheers.
They're a review site and Google them.

D

Deleted member 2457

daveh75:gel:TKratz:

Cheers.

They're a review site and Google them.

Thanks i just found them
emotion-21.gif
hey they are pretty good
emotion-21.gif
i now know what Max was talking about with the settings he found and the review which came out on a certain date. They look like really strange settings to me i also tried them previously it justs makes the picture duller for me, and the guy who recommends those settings goes on to say the same thing later on, saying in normal light you may have to brighten things up - very bizare.

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
What do you find bizare about it?

It is well known and documented that at bright conditions you need a brighter picture on your TV to compensate.

Anyway I think it is an excellent review site (it is Danish by the way
emotion-5.gif
), and I believe it from where Max usually get his suggestions.

A

Anonymous

Going back on topic for a second, i would be interested on any comments from the Whathifi team regarding these issues being reported by users on these Tv's.

It would be nice to get some kind of repsonse from panasonic too.. (i doubt it though)

D

Deleted member 2457

TKratz:

What do you find bizare about it?

It is well known and documented that at bright conditions you need a brighter picture on your TV to compensate.

Anyway I think it is an excellent review site (it is Danish by the way
emotion-5.gif
), and I believe it from where Max usually get his suggestions.

Well i find it bizare you then have might change it again, i just like to set it up once and that is it. Also those settings looked complete rubbish in my opinion. I know i might look for different things to other people though, alot of people like the THX mode and stuff but after trying it now i know it is not for me.

I have popped into my local av shop this morning and have just got alot of help from them, so i am pretty sorted now myself
emotion-21.gif

Cheers.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Well, now a days many TVs have the possibility to set up different profiles. Then you can for instance have one for daytime viewing and one for the evening. You wouldn't need to change everything all the time
emotion-21.gif

As said before, for many people it takes some time getting used to the correct picture (THX setting). I still encourage you to give it a chance for a couple of weeks.

A

Anonymous

hi there , i took delivery of a panasonic 50v20 earlier this week and im very impressed with the thx mode . i tried different settings while watching the bluray of avatar , and thx just seemed perfect . i also think that motion is very impressive on this tv , however using the 24p smooth film setting makes the movie look like a poor american soap opera . awesome tv though .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts