Oh Dear Panasonic. Terrible problems with the VT20.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
After lots of discussions with other VT20 owners, alot of us are getting refunds. There is for me a ridiculous and unfixable problem with this set, a Problem(actually a few problems) which Panasonic themselves have acknowledged but plan to do nothing about it. So, I start watching some Footy at the weekend on the VT20 and soon I realised like many other owners that this set can't handle fast panning shots, I had to turn the Football off because of this problem, motion blur from a Plasma??? Oh yes it can happen and it happens on the Panasonics 2010 Flagship Plasmas. The VT20 simply can't handle 50hz either, there is a lot of false contouring and also really bad screen flicker. It's a real crying shame because this set is capable of stunning PQ with deep blacks and natural colours but is heavily let down by the mentioned issues.

My VT20 goes back tomorrow. I am hoping to get the LG 50PX990, seems like a glowing set.

A

Anonymous

Are you sure its not just your set thats faulty? those issues seems a far cry from the review that WHF gave it, i know it didnt get 5 stars but surely it shouldnt be as bad as your mentioning.

A

Anonymous

jst23:
Are you sure its not just your set thats faulty? those issues seems a far cry from the review that WHF gave it, i know it didnt get 5 stars but surely it shouldnt be as bad as your mentioning.

Positive it's not just my set mate. I spoke to alot of other unhappy VT20 owners on a well know forum.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Likewise, the VT20 is one of our best selling models clocking sales levels very close to the 500a and we have no issues from our customers or the sets in store. Perhaps my clients aren't looking for the faults.

micks_address

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
as panasonic have stated the VT's arent 'optimised' for 50hz material.. that means they look pretty good.. but not as good as when displaying blu-ray etc.. i have the 42Vt20 and to be honest while i can see problems if i go looking for them they are not so bad as to make me want to return the tv.. i have thought about getting a video processor to convert 50hz to 60hz but this will introduce judder which i'm told can be more annoying.. still be interested to see what it does to the picture.. turning IFC can elminate most of the problems but it can do funny things to the picture as well.. although when watching football in HD i havent seen any downside to turning IFC on.. no dissapearing footballs or anything like that.. it can make film content look very strange so best left off for that..

A

Anonymous

The nature of forums like this make it all to easy to go check your set for faults that you would otherwise live with.

As always demo a TV if happy buy it :) dont go looking for a perfect set it isnt out there

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I've said it before but perhaps these motion issues aren't down to individual sets but individual people, surely the 50z motion judder that some find awful to watch, while others can't see it, is not really any different to the "rainbow effect" of DLP projectors? Maybe we all have individual "refresh rates" for want of a better phrase, that means we see things at different rates? I still can't watch many of the allegedly rainbow-free DLP projectors, as soon as I walk in the room I can see it flickering away - while others are saying it's the best picture they've seen...

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
AEJim:I've said it before but perhaps these motion issues aren't down to individual sets but individual people, surely the 50z motion judder that some find awful to watch, while others can't see it, is not really any different to the "rainbow effect" of DLP projectors? Maybe we all have individual "refresh rates" for want of a better phrase, that means we see things at different rates? I still can't watch many of the allegedly rainbow-free DLP projectors, as soon as I walk in the room I can see it flickering away - while others are saying it's the best picture they've seen...

They have changed how they drive these panels this year Jim. This is showing up as really bad 50hz handling for those who can't tolerate the change. People who believe they have good VT20s, V20s, G20s are most likely less susceptible to the change. Some people see the faults less, but still see them.

I decided it would be a bad move to even consider another 2010 model, after having two V20s I couldn't tolerate.

As soon as I switched to a Panasonic Z1, 50hz handling was fine. (Ok there were floating blacks and whites but that's what happens when firmware is messed with on a still current model; now much improved since a recent firmware update.)

The big question is what will Panasonic do for its 2011 models? Will the UK market be foremost in their minds when designing their TVs?

A

Anonymous

The big question is what will Panasonic do for its 2011 models?

I suggest they fix remaining issues in the Z1 firmware, discontinue all the other plastic models, and simply sell the Z1 in 3-4 variants till some new technology is invented. A focus on one model might solve the problems of the one-year models - optional could be custom designed by the user in terms of color, etc like on the Philips TV sets.

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
PeterHerz:
The big question is what will Panasonic do for its 2011 models?

I suggest they fix remaining issues in the Z1 firmware, discontinue all the other plastic models, and simply sell the Z1 in 3-4 variants till some new technology is invented. A focus on one model might solve the problems of the one-year models - optional could be custom designed by the user in terms of color, etc like on the Philips TV sets.

Who at Panasonic will take your sage advice Peter?
emotion-5.gif
All suggestions kindly received to Fumio Ohtsubo, Osaka, Japan
emotion-2.gif

I certainly want to see the end of floating contrast on Z1 : how on Earth can I tell if the broadcast/media is at fault when its being messed with in this way?

I also want to see real technical support at Panasonic UK, throwing the baby out with bath water (inappropriate refund offers) for want of software maintenance is madness!!
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

Difficult to understand the Panasonic product planning. They construct this beautifull plasma, but hide it in the "backyard" as it was a blunder.

Why dont they make a low-end plastic line with new models every year, and a flagship line with Z1, having very minor "face lifts" every 2-3 years ?

And why dont they make models with matte screen - they did it with the 800 model !

When will we see a 21:9 ?

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
LCD screens are matte plasma screens are glass & usually reflective & i don't know why you want a 21.9 screen when the picture has been chopped & stretched to fit the screen.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
In fairness to Panasonic they are one of the world's leading screen manufacturers. I think they have a pretty good handle on the market and what it needs.

I would be very surprised if a great deal of thought is not applied to the models they make the performance they will have and how much they will cost.

A

Anonymous

slewis:LCD screens are matte plasma screens are glass & usually reflective & i don't know why you want a 21.9 screen when the picture has been chopped & stretched to fit the screen.

Panasonic actually managed to make a plasma with almost matte screen in 2008 ( the 800 model ). I hope they will re-employ the developers who made it.

I think 21:9 is the future, more and more programs are shown in 21:9, I have a relativly small living room, want a bigger screen for movies, but a 60" is not an option - the 21:9 is much smaller than a 60" but gives a huge movie screen, I dont mind 16:9 programs are smaller or perhaps even strached, this is a matter of taste and what you put as priority. See enclosed examples of TV channels now broadcasting in 21:9, most are cut to 21:9 to present it in 21:9. When the music channel suddenly shows a video in 16:9 it looks very aquad and old fashioned - amazing how fast you get used to material in 21:9. The 21:9 format just seems more right. Note CNN cutting to 21:9 and putting red on the bars top and buttom. The state channels 1 and 2 also shows documental programs fitted to 21:9.

Notice the new smart phones are made for the Cinemascope format - the new Apple monitors are made for the Cinemascope format with space below for a menu bar.

Seems the whole world - except TV manufacturers - is preparing for Cinemascope 21:9.

A

Anonymous

AEJim:I've said it before but perhaps these motion issues aren't down to individual sets but individual people, surely the 50z motion judder that some find awful to watch, while others can't see it, is not really any different to the "rainbow effect" of DLP projectors? Maybe we all have individual "refresh rates" for want of a better phrase, that means we see things at different rates? I still can't watch many of the allegedly rainbow-free DLP projectors, as soon as I walk in the room I can see it flickering away - while others are saying it's the best picture they've seen... i agree jim, a friend of mine spent many hours watching both of my v20's and couldnt understand what i was going on about re. the motion issues, yet he kept pointing out colour banding to me, i wouldnt have noticed it otherwise..

A

Anonymous

The 21:9 Philips is a 58" so not much smaller than a 60". Plus most of the viewing in the uk is in 16:9, so every image either has massive black banners either side or is stretched.

A

Anonymous

murray_:The 21:9 Philips is a 58" so not much smaller than a 60". Plus most of the viewing in the uk is in 16:9, so every image either has massive black banners either side or is stretched.

It is actually much smaller, comparing a Philips 58PFL9955 with a Samsung PS63C7000 gives:

63" 16:9 58" 21:9

Width 1.494 - 1.459

Height: 908 - 680

You could say a 58" 21:9 is a normal 46" extended in width. 46" <--> 62" HUGE difference.

Which means you get a cinema screen equal to a 62" 16:9, but with the heighth of a 46" 16:9 TV set. A real salvation for those who wants a huge screen for movies and 3D, but dont have the space for a normal 62" TV set, and a possible solution to the "wife factor"
emotion-15.gif
. I have a fairly small livingroom - a 46" is what fits - but with a 58" 21:9 I can watch my 16:9 material with same size as on a traditional 46", and the movies with the size of a 62"
emotion-4.gif
having a livingroom with a TV set, and not a TV set with a livingroom. Try measure on the wall and you will be surprised. According to the roumers, there should also soon be a 52" 21:9, which should correspond to a normal 40" in height.

TRENDING THREADS