Cabling - the truth will out .....

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
TBH that doesn't really bother me. It's going to be a fit and forget exercise as I'll be happy the cable I'm using is highly regarded, fit for purpose and is at the right level/quality for my system. I prefer to listen to music, not cables.

A

Anonymous

gpi:I prefer to listen to music, not cables.

Me too.

Therefor I chose the cheapest cables that's thick enough to carry the signal, solid enough not to break, and with plugs and connectors that fit tightly and don't corrode.

If they look nice, that's a bonus of course.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
gpi: I prefer to listen to music, not cables.

Me too, but I prefer to listen to the best quality music I can. If that includes better quality cables (Which it does), then my listening enjoyment is even better than those that just want to listen to the music

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Cable Lover:

The only thing I can come up with to counter your incredible insight is my conversation with Cyrus some time last year:

Me: What about mains conditioners?

Them: We build them into our amps

Me: Oh

Them: Laughter

The Cyrus components are a bit of a small design right?

I think this Cyrus fits in this 8kg Twin Balanced Line 1000VA transformer as a matter of speaking...

Allthough, i tried some conditioners and some do compromise on dynamics, it's still better to get by any means pure power to your equipment.

idc

Fahnsen:

Just remember, that unless you make a set-up that enable to to switch back and forth in a couple of seconds, what you really compare is not actual sound, but memories of sound.

I dont think that is such a bad thing. I have specific tester tracks and I listen out for specific sounds. Does the bass distort and cause the speakers to buzz? Is the slight background noise at 29 seconds clear? Do I get a spine tingle when the chorus kicks in? How well can I pick out spearate instruments on this track? Do the cymbols sound clear or just a big 'tizzzzz' noise?

I can remember what those tracks sound like, so much so I am confident I can make good descisions about kit I am not even hearing back to back on the same day, let alone after a gap of a few seconds. The same applies to differences in cables.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Fahnsen:

gpi:I haven't decided beforehand not to hear any difference; I'm keeping an open mind/ear.

Just remember, that unless you make a set-up that enable to to switch back and forth in a couple of seconds, what you really compare is not actual sound, but memories of sound.

What about when I start hearing insruments and sounds ive never heard before? Does that count?

idc

aliEnRIK:Fahnsen:

gpi:I haven't decided beforehand not to hear any difference; I'm keeping an open mind/ear.

What about when I start hearing insruments and sounds ive never heard before? Does that count?

A cracking point Rick. I know someone who has now realised that after 30 years they have got the lyrics to their favourite track wrong, now that they have listened to it on a decent hifi setup. If I audition anything, particularly cables and mains conditioners I listen out for those new sounds and clarity of lyrics without even thinking about it.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
al7478:have we decided yet that, in fact, no, the truth will probably not out?

No it never will. Changes are not always for the better and cables can change the balance of the overall sound, which may not necessarily be better, ad infinitum.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:Fahnsen:

How do I know some ear wax hasn't dislodged? :eek:)

A

Anonymous

I found this thread very interesting, so decided to buy three similar priced cables and compare them myself. I bought a couple of metres of Chord Carnival Silverscreen, Van Den Hull 'The Bridge' and Atlas Equator 3.0. My system is CA740 A/C with MS Mezzo 2 speakers. I was pleased with the sound through QED Silver Anniversary but felt the sound was a little dry and thin.

For what it is worth I was surprised by the results. Each cable had quite distinct characteristics, the Van Den Hull was a fine cable but lacked a little body and strength in the bass, the Atlas was warm and full, though a little veiled and the Chord was lucid, transparent and dynamic. To my ears there was a very distinct difference between all three, so I am amazed there are quite a few people on here claiming cables make no difference? Have these people done a direct test of cables on their own sound system in their own home I wonder? If they had heard what I have, there would be no doubts in their mind.

Just my direct personal experience.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
idc:aliEnRIK:Fahnsen:

A cracking point Rick. I know someone who has now realised that after 30 years they have got the lyrics to their favourite track wrong, now that they have listened to it on a decent hifi setup.

They could just have used Google. Cheaper, if anyfink.

idc

gpi:al7478:have we decided yet that, in fact, no, the truth will probably not out? No it never will. Changes are not always for the better and cables can change the balance of the overall sound, which may not necessarily be better, ad infinitum.

And with that summation the truth is now out. Cables make a difference to some people some of the time in some systems to some degree. On that a whole industry has been built and it is called hifi.

A

Anonymous

Fahnsen:

Surely - ANY test you do will only ever be "memories of sound" ......... it will always be remembering what you heard a moment a go

idc

BigAir:Fahnsen:

Surely - ANY test you do will only ever be "memories of sound" ......... it will always be remembering what you heard a moment a go

It depends on whether you think that the memory of sound is accurate or not. I think that it is very accurate. Hence musicians are able to hear a note and are able to say 'thats B flat' or whatever. Or non musicians can say 'that sounds brighter, duller, clearer' than a moment, day, week ago. It is also how we recognise different peoples voices, music etc.

To make out that we cannot remember a sound from a few seconds ago, to me suggests some sort of mental disfunction where the ear to brain connections are not working properly. It is like the recognised disfunction where people cannot recognise others faces, even relatives and best friends. Its got a name, I just can't remember it......

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
idc:

To make out that we cannot remember a sound from a few seconds ago, to me suggests some sort of mental disfunction where the ear to brain connections are not working properly. It is like the recognised disfunction where people cannot recognise others faces, even relatives and best friends. Its got a name, I just can't remember it......

I know I said I would take no further point in this one but idc that made me chuckle
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

idc:To make out that we cannot remember a sound from a few seconds ago, to me suggests some sort of mental disfunction where the ear to brain connections are not working properly.

You're free to believe that you have an exact memory of what you 've heard (even if it's far more complicated than the sound of a single note). But it's a belief. Real life experience shows that you're wrong.
When tests shows that people are unable to hear differences if they don't know a change is made, or hear differences if they believe a change is made even if it isn't, and no test that I know of shows people scoring anything beyond average in identifying different cables, you need a strong faith to maintain your view.

Changing cables don't take 'a few seconds'; it takes minutes. If you do the change yourself, it will also mean you'll have to interrupt the 'listening session' to do the change and restart listening afterwards -- meaning a lots of mental conditions will be changed.

You might even change physical conditions, like the contact between the cable and the terminal, the exact position or angle of the speaker, or your ears' position in relation to the speakers.
Even if we assume there is a theoretical possibility that cables can affect the sound that comes out of the speakers, the differences would be very subtle. Compared to differences made by accoustic conditions -- the speakers and the room -- they would be totally insignificant.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Like so many cable threads, this one has disappeared up its own fundament
emotion-40.gif

Unless someone has something truly original to add, let's leave it as that and enjoy the weekend- maybe listening to music, eh?
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts