CA Dac Magic

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
hi all
HELP just purchased thie item. Am I being really stupid? cannot get sound from USB input , where do the leads connect to my 540A ver 2 amp from unbalanced output from the DAC.I have tried both manuals.Sorry I am a newbie to this technology!
Cheers

John Duncan

Connections are straightforward - normal interconnects from output to any spare input on your 540A. The select that input on the amp.

The issue is probably the audio setup on your computer (presumably that's what you're trying to do?) - is this a Mac or a PC?

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi John thanks for reply.Yes I thought connnections would be straightforward, in hurry Mrs doesn't know Ive spent 230 quid!, using Dell inspiron 9000 I would have expected to see in My Computer as additional drive?.I think it must be the connection to amp though I have tried all inputs.The DAC does show sampling rate indicator?
thanks

John Duncan

Hm, can't remember if the light shines even without source, will have a look tonight. You;re plugged into the outputs from the DM correctly (the two at the very right hand side as you look at it, if I remember)?

And in Control Panel/Sounds and Audio/Audio/Sound Playback (I think), have you selected 'C-Media USB Headphone Set' as the audio output?

A

Anonymous

The manual says the following:

"Connect a USB 'B-A' type lead (as illustrated at left) from the DacMagic's USB input to one of the USB ports on the PC. This is the normal type of USB lead with an oblong plug at one end and a square plug at the other. Switch on the DacMagic using the front panel On/Off switch and make sure that the USB input is selected (USB LED lit). The Windows "Found New Hardware" dialogue bubble should now appear at the bottom right-hand side of the Windows desktop. The description of the DacMagic will be displayed as "USB audio device". Installation should be automatic and no driver disc is required. After a few seconds the message "Your new hardware is installed and ready to use" should appear to confirm that installation has been successful.

Important Note: The PC's previous audio output device should now be temporarily disabled and the DacMagic becomes the default audio playback device for the PC. This can be confirmed in the Control Panel's Sounds, Speech and Audio Devices properties window under the Volume tab. The DacMagic is described as a "C-Media USB Headphone"

A

Anonymous

Not to state the obvious, but from personal exp when I first got the DACMagic and hooked it up into my 540A v2, I actually plugged the RCA's into the wrong input on the amp. Plugged into the tape loop instead of CD

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
Also make sure the input selector on the Dac is selected for usb..the top led next ti the usb symbol should be lit. Digital 1 and digital2 led's should be off...sorry if this seems obvious.

crang

Feb 17, 2008
Visit site
Hi
I have now had time to play around with connections, yes, I unplugged my TT stuck DAC in and bingo, doooooooooooooh!.I have also purchased a Toslink cable and connected to CA 540C to Digital Input 1 for direct comparason between Cd and lossless on laptop, high hopes from live in gdansk sounded superb in both modes, however , after only around 15 mins I found slightly tighter bass and a definate soundstage improvement on USB connection. I have read a lot about "burn in" so I will update when used for a few hour.
Cheers all

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts