Have I done something wrong? Vincent SV-700 + Dynaudio Confidence C2

sushifi

Jul 24, 2023
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Let me start out by saying that I am not a very technical guy. I love the hifi world and the joy it brings me. I mostly just use my ears to figure out what kind of a setup I like.

My current setup consist of:

Amplifier: Vincent SV-700
  • Nominal Output Power RMS / 8 Ohm: 2 x 100 Watt
  • Nominal Output Power RMS / 4 Ohm: 2 x 160 Watt
  • Nominal Output Power Class A / 8 Ohm: 2 x 50 Watt

Speaker: Dynaudio Confidence C2 (I just bought these)

• Rated Impedance (Ohm) 4

DAC: SMSL SU-9 Pro

Now lets get into my big big headace.

My Vincent amplfier I am used to run in Class A mode with my old speakers. But since it can only run in Class A at 8 ohm I asked the Vincent customer support what would happen if I used my Dynaudio C2 with class A mode ON. He said to me that since it cannot run in Class A with these speakers it would switch off automatically and back to A/B mode.

Well, I just had just gotten the Dynaudio speakers and could not wait to have everything set up, even though I knew class A would be out of the option. Fast forward, I enjoyed this setup quite a lot for a few days, even tried to put it in Class A mode just to see if there would be any sonically improvement. I did not notice any difference to be honest and since it would just switch back automatically I did not think anything could go wrong in that regard. Well, a few sessions later just out of nowhere (volume level not very high), the bass just went missing in the Dynaudio's. The highs sounded totally normal, but the lows were almost just dead. I could not believe what had just happened and figured something must have gone wrong. I tried switching all cables everyhere in my system and the same result. Nothing smelled burned or anything. I tried to use another amplfier that I have with the dynaudio, same result. So the Vincent must have done some damage to the speakers. I am really speechless. I do not want to try to connect another pair of speakers that I have to the amplfier as I am afraid I will just damage these speakers as well..

I am really sad this happened and since my techical knowledge is not very good i am not sure what to do. Do any of you guys have an idea what could have went wrong here? Any help would be very much appreciated.

All the best

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Let me start out by saying that I am not a very technical guy. I love the hifi world and the joy it brings me. I mostly just use my ears to figure out what kind of a setup I like.

My current setup consist of:

Amplifier: Vincent SV-700
  • Nominal Output Power RMS / 8 Ohm: 2 x 100 Watt
  • Nominal Output Power RMS / 4 Ohm: 2 x 160 Watt
  • Nominal Output Power Class A / 8 Ohm: 2 x 50 Watt

Speaker: Dynaudio Confidence C2 (I just bought these)

• Rated Impedance (Ohm) 4

DAC: SMSL SU-9 Pro

Now lets get into my big big headace.

My Vincent amplfier I am used to run in Class A mode with my old speakers. But since it can only run in Class A at 8 ohm I asked the Vincent customer support what would happen if I used my Dynaudio C2 with class A mode ON. He said to me that since it cannot run in Class A with these speakers it would switch off automatically and back to A/B mode.

Well, I just had just gotten the Dynaudio speakers and could not wait to have everything set up, even though I knew class A would be out of the option. Fast forward, I enjoyed this setup quite a lot for a few days, even tried to put it in Class A mode just to see if there would be any sonically improvement. I did not notice any difference to be honest and since it would just switch back automatically I did not think anything could go wrong in that regard. Well, a few sessions later just out of nowhere (volume level not very high), the bass just went missing in the Dynaudio's. The highs sounded totally normal, but the lows were almost just dead. I could not believe what had just happened and figured something must have gone wrong. I tried switching all cables everyhere in my system and the same result. Nothing smelled burned or anything. I tried to use another amplfier that I have with the dynaudio, same result. So the Vincent must have done some damage to the speakers. I am really speechless. I do not want to try to connect another pair of speakers that I have to the amplfier as I am afraid I will just damage these speakers as well..

I am really sad this happened and since my techical knowledge is not very good i am not sure what to do. Do any of you guys have an idea what could have went wrong here? Any help would be very much appreciated.

All the best
There could be a number of reasons this has happened and it may not be the speakers. I’d say you really need another amp to test speakers and vice versa. It’s really something your going to have to explore with the retrospective brands.

Or if you have a dealer bring it up with them. They should be able to help you out up in running in quick order.

There could be a number of reasons this has happened and it may not be the speakers. I’d say you really need another amp to test speakers and vice versa. It’s really something your going to have to explore with the retrospective brands.

Or if you have a dealer bring it up with them. They should be able to help you out up in running in quick order.
"I’d say you really need another amp to test speakers and vice versa. "
.....he's already done that if you read the post again.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I do not want to try to connect another pair of speakers that I have to the amplfier as I am afraid I will just damage these speakers as well..
You're right not to want to.
The amp must be checked out and be operating normally before connection to any other speakers.

Sorry to hear your story - would like to think there's no lasting damage to your Dynaudios, but from what you've said...... 😕

Juzzie Wuzzie

You might want to write everything down including dates, times and who you spoke to / e-mailed etc in case it turns into a "he said, they said" scenario. Assuming you are looking for some form of insurance as opposed to just being prepared to pay for any and all repairs yourself. Just a thought.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
"I’d say you really need another amp to test speakers and vice versa. "
.....he's already done that if you read the post again.
You have a way with words make that makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Does it really matter? Speakers blown? amp blown? is anybody here able to actually repair it? no!
go to a dealer/service centre that's the long and short of it. End of thread move on.

Sorry, i missed or forgot he's already tested those aspects. I look at these posts with one eye on the time holding a cuppa.

You have a way with words make that makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Does it really matter? Speakers blown? amp blown? is anybody here able to actually repair it? no!
go to a dealer/service centre that's the long and short of it. End of thread move on.

Sorry, i missed or forgot he's already tested those aspects. I look at these posts with one eye on the time holding a cuppa.
Apologies for my way with words. I always try to make my posts short and to the point with no waffle.... Because members forget that moderators have to read all these. :)

sushifi

Jul 24, 2023
Visit site
Thanks a lot for all your replies. I am not sure what i was hoping for tbh. Maybe a small hope that it was somehow fixable without me contacting Dynaudio to have the drivers repaired which definitely will not be cheap and hopefully Vincent will sort out the amp at no cost since I did contact them beforehand if it would cause any problems. I cannot really see what could have went wrong though if it's true it is switching back to A/B mode automatically if speakers are not a fit in Class A.

Thanks a lot for all your replies. I am not sure what i was hoping for tbh. Maybe a small hope that it was somehow fixable without me contacting Dynaudio to have the drivers repaired which definitely will not be cheap and hopefully Vincent will sort out the amp at no cost since I did contact them beforehand if it would cause any problems. I cannot really see what could have went wrong though if it's true it is switching back to A/B mode automatically if speakers are not a fit in Class A.
Perhaps speakers were on their way out before you bought them?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts