CA 651a or DACMAGIC???

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to buy a CA 651a. I listen to 99% of my music on my computer and like idea of having a USB input.

My query is this: Would I be better off getting a DACMAGIC with my 540a, or rather, invest that money in an amp that has usb input? How would a 540a + DAC compare with a 651a?

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Would the USB input be a better option than my current setup: computer via USB > M-audio fast track - http://electronicmusictutorials.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/maudiofasttrackusbmk2.jpg - > phono into amp.

T

the record spot

Unless you like your music to sound detailed to the point of being clinical or uninvolving, then avoid the DACMagic. A number of users found it to be exactly like this. For similar money, at £250, try the Spitfire II DAC from Firestone Audio. I think Audio Evolution distributes in the UK and you can buy online.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The 651A is a great amp and if all you need is USB input and you don't want better than CD quality then go for it. :)

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
The 651A offers 16 bit 32kHz, 44.1kHz, 48kHz via USB. Is that a bit weak? You think the 651A USB option would be better than my current 540A and soundcard setup?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the 351A or the 651 A would be an improvement on your computer soundcard but only your ears can confirm that, so see if RS will lend you one. If your music is stored up to CD Quality then it will be perfect. If you intend to start listening to high resolution files then find a separate DAC that has this option.

Willferox

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the swift reply. For ease and assessibility, I listen to Spotify Premium 320kbs. Not perfect, but does the job.

Do you think the 651A would add more balls to my system (coupled with my Mezzo 2's) compared with the 540A v1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts