Buying a system - advice appreciated

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm a newcomer to buying proper hi-fi. Up until now I've existed on my old Technics mini system, which had great sound for what it was. I've always wanted more, though, and now I'm doing something about it.

I would appreciate some informed advice, though.

I'm currently looking at the Marantz PM6003/CD6003 combo. My questions are as follows:

1. The Richer Sounds deal that includes both of those units along with the Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s sounds tempting. I like the look of the EB1 Acoustics, though. Are those speakers worth getting for this system (i.e. will they make a noticable difference), or is it a waste of effectively £500 (given that the Wharfedales would come free)? For a £500 basic price vs a £200 I'd expect the EB1s to be at least a level up.

2. I also looked at the Arcam Solo Mini and the Marantz CR-502, which are respectively a bit more expensive and a bit cheaper. The convenience of having everything together in a smaller is appealing, but would either give the same performance as the two Marantz separates?

I am of course going into Richer Sounds to try things out, but from what I understand the EB1 Acoustics will not be available for testing due to being sold only from the website.

Anyway, any answers/opinions and any other general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Hi MFP

I was in a similar position a few weeks ago and listened to the NAD, Marantz and the Arcam Solo. For me I opted for the Arcam, mainly because I was using it in a small room and therefore the output was more than enough. However since using it I have noticed that there is more power than the 25watts suggest. The sound is very clean right the way up to about 90% volume.

I listened to it at Richer Sounds and bought it with FOC Wharfdale 10's, however on listening to other speakers at Sevenoakes I fount the 10's not up to the audio quality of the Arcam, at least to my ears. As such I bought a pair of Monitor Audio RX1's in piano black. Great speakers, however if yopu are not limited to size of unit, its a tough call as the Marantz is very good.

Superfi are offering the Arcam with Whardale 10's free, however like me you may find you want to upgrade the 10's. I never opened mine and they are still in the spare room waiting for e-bay!

Good Luck

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I haven't heard either speaker, but I can still guarantee you that EB1s sound very different than the Wharfedales. Speakers provide the most noticable sonic differences. It makes sense to splurge on speakers. If it was me, I would buy the EB1s and utilize the return policy if I didn't love them.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the replies so far.

jaxwired:

I
haven't heard either speaker, but I can still guarantee you that EB1s
sound very different than the Wharfedales. Speakers provide the most
noticable sonic differences. It makes sense to splurge on speakers.
If it was me, I would buy the EB1s and utilize the return policy if I
didn't love them.

Different as in better and probably deserving to be in a different price stratum, or different as in just different with its own characteristics that are a matter of taste?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
MFP: Different as in better and probably deserving to be in a different price stratum, or different as in just different with its own characteristics that are a matter of taste?

Since I have not heard either speaker I can't tell you. And even if I had heard the, that would just be my totally subjective opinion. I will say that when talking speakers or electronics that are selling in the under £1000 price bracket, that mostly you get what you pay for. There are big gains in quality in the first £1000 of product.

The only thing I'm sure of is they sound very different. Where as a slightly more expensive amp or CDP would only sound slighty different and you might not even notice the difference. So it's worth trying the EB1s. Just my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your thoughts. Think I'll have to try them out.

A

Anonymous

Any other comments welcomed. I'm especially interested in hearing from anyone who owns the EB1s.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
For that you could get AVI's active ADM9.1's. Fantastic system just don't read the current thread about them
emotion-2.gif

Escapism

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
drummerman:For that you could get AVI's active ADM9.1's. Fantastic system just don't read the current thread about them
emotion-2.gif

You're brave!!

A

Anonymous

I listened to the Marantz kit today, with the Wharfedales and also with some Mordaunts they had in the shop. Have to say it was nice, but I was far from blown away. I also tried Cambridge Audio 650c gear, and found the definition better but the sound less warm and pleasant.

Then I had a listen to an Arcam Solo Mini (with Arcam Muso speakers), and, despite the size of the speakers, thought it was a night and day improvement over the other two.

So now I'm thinking of getting the Arcam, and maybe pairing it with the EB1s (the Musos just felt too small for a living room and for film watching). Any thoughts?

A

Anonymous

In my opinion, the secret of choosing a good £1000 system is to be willing to do without deep bass. CD players and amplifiers in this price bracket tend to have inarticulate bass with poor timing. Choosing a pair of small-but-respectable inexpensive speakers provides a "double whammy", firstly by hiding the problem and allowing the system to "groove", and secondly by allowing you to spend more on the CD player and/or amp, reducing the problem in the first place.

The difficulty, for me, is that I'm not familiar with any relevant products so the following suggestion is purely a "shot in the dark", based on reviews, other people's opinions and knowledge of the same manufacturers' past products. The system that I suggest might be worth listening to is the Rega Apollo CD player (which I've seen advertised for £500 rather than the £600 quoted by What Hi-Fi), Rega Brio 3 amplifier (£330, according to What Hi-Fi) and Wharfedale Diamond 9.0 speakers, which are currently available for £50. This would leave you enough for interconnects, speaker cables and stands.

Past Rega CD players in the same price-bracket have had some astounding abilities - such as reproducing pitch particularly well - but their performance didn't add up to a product I wanted because they sounded boring. By all accounts the Apollo doesn't sound boring and is, in other respects, an advance on previous Regas. Therefore, if I were looking for a CD player then the Apollo would be the first I would audition.

T

the record spot

What kind of sound do you like? Detailed, lean articulate bass, or powerful, bass heavy....etc., etc? I like a clean bass without over-emphasis, maybe leaning towards neutrality (hard to really achieve in fairness), but not at the expense of the essential ability to cause foot-tapping!

A

Anonymous

the record spot:What kind of sound do you like? Detailed, lean articulate bass, or powerful, bass heavy....etc., etc? I like a clean bass without over-emphasis, maybe leaning towards neutrality (hard to really achieve in fairness), but not at the expense of the essential ability to cause foot-tapping!

I'd say I like lean but punchy bass. Strong definition but without being totally devoid of warmth. Whatever I get has to play quite a wide range of music, from jazz to busy prog to thumping hard rock to sweeping, passionate classical stuff.

To be honest I'm finding the amount of options and variables in this game quite overwhelming. I've gone from thinking about Marantz 6300s to Arcam Solo Mini to CA 740s to second hand entry-level Naim to second hand hi-fi shop near me (which among other things is a trove of old and interesting amps and players). Don't think I'm close to making a decision (except that I will probably give the Arcam a miss, good though my initial impressions were). Need to go and listen to a few more setups, I think.

A

Anonymous

£1000 on the used market will get you a really good system ...

problem is that you will not be able to hear all the components before buying if you buy the separates individually ,

so you will have to rely on what other people say as regards the synergy of all components together

T

the record spot

MFP:

I'd say I like lean but punchy bass. Strong definition but without being totally devoid of warmth. Whatever I get has to play quite a wide range of music, from jazz to busy prog to thumping hard rock to sweeping, passionate classical stuff.

To be honest I'm finding the amount of options and variables in this game quite overwhelming. I've gone from thinking about Marantz 6300s to Arcam Solo Mini to CA 740s to second hand entry-level Naim to second hand hi-fi shop near me (which among other things is a trove of old and interesting amps and players). Don't think I'm close to making a decision (except that I will probably give the Arcam a miss, good though my initial impressions were). Need to go and listen to a few more setups, I think.

Plenty of kit out there that'll hit the "punchy but lean" bass, if anything it's the kind of sound I like as well, but as there are so many products that'll tick those boxes on the market just now, it becomes an exercise in ensuring the overall balance doesn't overly major on those areas. Otherwise you end up with a system with all the detail but maybe missing out on the elements that give you the emotion. That was my reasoning anyway when a few amp changes last year resulted in a lot of clinical detail, but it all got in the way of the enjoyment that listening to music is all about.

My current amp is a short term fix (or maybe longer!), but it does a job that the last three failed to do and while it undoubtedly could be improved on, it performs above expectations with the partnering kit which is probably a testament to the original design.

Don't be afraid to mix and match, but bear in mind that's tricky as dim_span's already said. Nothing to stop you demoing gear at a dealer's (used or new) but if a certain combination takes your fancy, that might mean doing as much product researching beforehand and a certain amount of "leap of faith" which may or may not reap rewards. I've been lucky, this current amp cost me a touch over £30 delivered and it's in near mint nick, that last one cost me £50 in similar condition. Add a zero to either of those and I wouldn't readily buy blind.

A

Anonymous

MFP:

I would suggest the Cyrus 8vs2, a superbly detail amp, plenty of punch, but certainly not that lean. Available on ebay for £350 used, Imo, you won't get better for your money. I am currently comparing one against my Kandy K2, and so far, it is the Kandy that may be going on to ebay.

matthewpiano

Don't get pulled into a 'leap of faith'. The most likely outcome is that you risk being completely disatisfied and ending up on a never ending ring of changes.

Keep auditioning lots of kit and trying different combinations until you find something that satisfies. Also be prepared to accept that you will need to compromise somewhere so you need to prioritise what is most important to you sound-wise.

The used approach can work very well. Dim_span has done very well and been lucky to assemble a system that he loves. However the risks are high with this approach and you can easily end up losing money when you sell stuff on. A £20 loss here and there soon adds up.

In my experience the best approach with hi-fi is to deal with what you know. Listen to everything carefully and buy something that you know sounds good to you. Guess work, or making assumptions about pieces of kit, can turn into a bit of a train crash.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts