Buy a Philips 9000 series now or wait for 3D?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I am in the process of setting up a system at the moment and have a recently purchased a Denon AVR1910 and the Monitor Audio BR2 pack. I have a 2 year old 32" Philips 7000 series and I want to trade up so I was looking at buying one of the following: 42PFL9664, 46PFL9704 or 47PFL9664 but now im wondering should I hold off and wait for the 3D sets to come out. If I do purchase now I dont want to have to go out and trade up again next year! Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

P

A

Anonymous

if your looking at a 46pfl9704 you obviously have more than £2k to spend , that kind of budget may be enough for a decent 3d tv , i think now is the worst time to buy a premium set , that will almost certainly be surpassed in 2010 , id defo wait 6 or 8 weeks , see whats what..

A

Anonymous

I would hold fire before spending 2K, till the end of the year, when the 3D craze in the UK is pronounced as either a fad or here to stay. Or buy a TV that is 3D HD ready but that rule out all the Philips you have mentioned.

If Sky's love affair with 3D and Sports becomes a permanent state of a union then 2D TV will have few fans! Many people built there A/V system around SKY braoadcast.Sky is the main driver to 3D in the UK and they have yet to make a strategic delivery blunder.

My hunch is that 3D will grow, albeit slow and steady for sure in the UK. You can't argue that watching football in 2D is better than 3D.No contest.

D

Deleted member 2457

I would hold your horses too, the philips tv's you mention are still very much fixed high prices at the moment, with 3D sets coming you could pick up a bargain in the future if you don't want a 3D tv.

A

Anonymous

Maxflintoff:
I would hold fire before spending 2K, till the end of the year, when the 3D craze in the UK is pronounced as either a fad or here to stay. Or buy a TV that is 3D HD ready but that rule out all the Philips you have mentioned.

If Sky's love affair with 3D and Sports becomes a permanent state of a union then 2D TV will have few fans! Many people built there A/V system around SKY braoadcast.Sky is the main driver to 3D in the UK and they have yet to make a strategic delivery blunder.

My hunch is that 3D will grow, albeit slow and steady for sure in the UK. You can't argue that watching football in 2D is better than 3D.No contest.

love the name , would , maxflinnscreen , have been more apt ?? for a flatscreen enthusiast ??

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:Maxflintoff:

love the name , would , maxflinnscreen , have been more apt ?? for a flatscreen enthusiast ??

Is it just me or does that name really bug you my friend Maxflinn?
emotion-1.gif
Because it definetely confuses me.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the help guys, thinking now that I will at least wait till the summer to decide!

D

Deleted member 2457

I have just thought of something say if you only like high end tv's and all the high ends will have 3D tv in built at a much higher price.

For example the philips 40pfl9704 £1800 this year.

The same tv being releaseed for 3D tv if you believe what some people are saying that it's going to cost more it could be something like say £2500.

What do you think? How much more would you guess? Do you think it will be more? Is it worth paying more?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

hi gel , i dont think philips are bringing out 3d tvs for a while yet , from the companies that are , panasonic , lg , sony , samsung , my guess is that the panasonics and lgs will be the most affordable , followed by samsung and sony ...

nobody knows for sure about prices yet , but we,ll say a 50in high end 3d panasonic tv is , hmmm , say £2500 ,well , a 46pfl9704 is currently that price , without 3d , so anyone waiting for a philips 3d tv , may have to break the bank to get one ......thats how i see it ...

A

Anonymous

Sony prices..

KDL40LX903 3D Ready £1999.99

KDL46HX903 3D Ready £2199.99

KDL52HX903 3D Ready £2499.99

KDL60LX903 3D Integrated £3499.99

A

Anonymous

Maxflintoff: You can't argue that watching football in 2D is better than 3D.No contest.

And you can't argue that watching football is better in 3D than it is in 2D, unless you've seen a match in 3D.

(If you were one of the few who saw the 3D match at the weekend, I retract the above).

A

Anonymous

Fishy:

Sony prices..

that doesnt seem right to me , theres always been more than £500 between sonys high end 40in and 52in , maybe im wrong , but the 40in seems too dear and the 52in too cheap ....
i wonder if mathewpiano has any info ???

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:

Fishy:

Sony prices..

that doesnt seem right to me , theres always been more than £500 between sonys high end 40in and 52in , maybe im wrong , but the 40in seems too dear and the 52in too cheap ....

i wonder if mathewpiano has any info ???

That's what I thought. If correct, you get 6" for £200 (the jump from 40" to 46"), 12" for £500 (the jump from 40" to 52"), but only 8" for £1000 (the jump from 52" to 60").

Still, the 52" and 60" Sonys are cheaper than 50" and 60" kuros, aren't they?

A

Anonymous

The 40", 46" & 52" are "3D Ready" so don't come with the glasses & 3D transmitter. The 60" is 3D integrated and comes with the glasses & 3D transmitter.

A

Anonymous

Fishy:

The 40", 46" & 52" are "3D Ready" so don't come with the glasses & 3D transmitter. The 60" is 3D integrated and comes with the glasses & 3D transmitter.

Completely missed the "integrated" bit. I may need some ordinary specs first.
emotion-10.gif

What's the difference between "3D Ready" and "3D Integrated"? Does it just mean you need to buy the specs and transmitter separately for the 3D Ready sets whilst these are included in the integrated packages, or is there something else different about the display itself?

A

Anonymous

ok , they dont come with the glasses , but the 3d transmitter ?? whats that all about ?? do you need to buy an add on to watch 3d on them ??

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hmtb:What's the difference between "3D Ready" and "3D Integrated"? Does it just mean you need to buy the specs and transmitter separately for the 3D Ready sets whilst these are included in the integrated packages, or is there something else different about the display itself?

No, that's the difference.

A

Anonymous

so if you connect a 3d blu-rat player , to a 3d ready tv , can you watch 3d movies ?? without the transmitter...

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:so if you connect a 3d blu-rat player , to a 3d ready tv , can you watch 3d movies ?? without the transmitter...

Can you connect this

to this

via HDMI 1.4?

emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

maxflinn:so if you connect a 3d blu-rat player , to a 3d ready tv , can you watch 3d movies ?? without the transmitter...

On a more serious note, I guess the answer to that is no. In which case, that 40" 3D ready Sony at £1999.99 looks even more expensive when you factor in the cost of specs and transmitter.

Is this transmitter like a dongle thingy (sorry for the highly technical language) that you plug into the back of the tv, or some sort of wireless device that sits elsewhere (like a wireless tuner)? This is all awfully confusing.

I think I need a cup of tea.

A

Anonymous

Wow the prices are just shocking?? A 40 inch with '3d ready' only for 2K???? I suppose the specs will be £50 each?

Add a 3d BR and etc etc you can tell why Sony is so keen to go 3D now!

I am even more put off than before. With such a meagre amount of 3D software on offer we need to go back to 2D..

No one is keen to ditch their gear for this new line of excess. Sony is not even employing costly OLED so what is the justification for the cost? And if the 2D performance is just old Bravia 3 as it is now, why buy now??

No. For now 3D TV is not a viable investment....... No thanks.

A

Anonymous

Both LX models, the 40 and 60 have integrated 3D transmitters, not just the 60.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts