Budget amp for Mordaunt Short 902i

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly let me lay down that I am a student and being a student money is TIGHT.

I first got into audio when I got my dads old hifi gear out of the loft. Some of the stuff up there was insane. Like a 1kw bose power amp out of a nightclub.

Anyway, there was a pair of old tatty monitor audio speakers in like a marble effect and a small seperates system in the corner which caught my eye. The seperates system was an old aiwa my pace 22 system from the 80's (just search p22 in google). I hooked them up with some pound shop speaker cable and the sound blew me away! Such a warm sound.

It all went down hill from there though. The speakers gave up on me as the rubbers had perished, so, I baught a pair or Mordaunt Short 902i's from richersounds which set me back £100 in the sale and I got a few metres of there cheapest gale cable thrown in. and again the sound was excelent. I had them sat down on my windowledge which just happened to be the right depth. Plenty of sability. So i never bothered about stands. anyway. The power amp gave up on me. I think it was because the speakers take quite a bit of juce to drive especially for an older amp.

So my search began for a low budget, decent amp.

My girlfriend's dad had just baught a hifi - Cambridge audio 640 amp tuner and CD player with a set of Quad 11L's which sounded fantastic. Knowing I could never afford such a system I wen on ebay and picked up a Cambridge audio A3i for just under £50 which looked decent enough. 60wpc and a reputabe make. Can i just say now that it sounded AWFULL! Boomy and a horror to listen to. ugh. Flogged it straight away and got my money back. Since the Cambridge audio sounded to boomy I thaught I would go for a 'brighter' amp.

Moved into student accomodation. A box room aprox 2.5m X 3.5m. I needed speaker stands so I picked up a set of jamo's for £1.25 model - cornet 45. they arent brilliant speakers but do make pritty good stands. I plonked my mordaunt shorts on top of them with blutack adheisive, attached some wooden spikes on the bottom of the jamo's and put 20kg of weights on each speaker. Sturdy enough for you? Rock solid. A botch job i know but it is the best I could do with my budget. Please don't judge me.

I picked up a denon AVR-1907 for £80 in excellent condition. The denon is good for tv and games sounds really clear and real but it isnt fantastic for music. Even when biwired. It is way too bright and it hurts my sensitive ears. Cant listen for long. Sucked out almost all of the enjoyment. I have found that turning the speakers away from me about 30degrees helps a lot, but still isnt brilliant. Grrrr

So, its time for a change yet again...

Please could someone help me choose a decent low priced amp that would match my Mordaunt Shorts and still have enough power to give them a decent enough level of volume. Not earth shattering but i am a student... My music tastes vary from rock to pop. Really into pendulum, linkin park, alphabeat, and mansun at the moment (not marilyn manson. if you have not heard of them get there album. 'attack of the gray lantern' it is a beautifully crafted album suitabe for most tases.) if that helps.

My budget is a mear £150-200 (true budget and not 'im looking for a budget amp arround £400' ) and I am verry willing to go second hand or maby vintage if it is built well enough. A second option would be to buy a decent pre-amp to get the old Bose power amp going again. The model is - Bose studiocraft F1. I cant find Anything on the internet about them but all i know is that It takes a verry strong signal to get anything decent out of it. (the aiwa pre-amp sounded awful with it.)

Any advice would be greatly apreciated and thank you for listening/reading.

Elliot

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
The Rotel RA-04 is a cracking amp, and at £249 new, should mean that you should be able to pick up an ex-dem or nearly-new model within budget.

It will certainly transform the sound, and will be in a totally different league to the A3i...

If you really want to save cash, find a well-cared-for Rotel RA-820 or RA-920. I have an 820 in my second system and it is really crisp and detailed. They normally go for £20-40 on ebay, but are absolute bargains.

A

Anonymous

The thing is about the rotel stuff is that generally no one sells them, ether people love them so much or there just aren't that many sold. When they do come up they usually fetch a verry good price. It may be a while until an RA-04 comes up within a decent price range. Thanks for the suggestion though. Ill look out for one.

and can i just add. The better value i.e best sound qualliy for the money the better. i'd rater spend £75 and sacrifice a little than spend double the ammount and gain a little if you get me. £200 is over a months worth of food. Beans and peas for me :)

A

Anonymous

Could anyone rate the rotel RA-02? Its an old model but i think that i could pick one up cheap enough.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If you're after true VFM, then check out the RA-920/940 series. Cracking amps for around £50-70. Seriously good. There's a few on ebay at present. (RA-921 on there for £12 at the mo, with 1.5 days left)

Alternatively, sometimes the Cyrus 1 comes up for that price. Again, a great little amp. (one on ebay for £40, 1 day left, no bids)

Can't comment on the RA02 as I haven't heard it - sorry!

A

Anonymous

Pick up a Marantz PM66SE-KI,lovely little amplifier with an incredibly sweet and coherent sound. Suits the 902i's to a tee.

A

Anonymous

The marantz does sound like it would make sence as mordaunt short is owned by marantz. just depends on weather i can pick one up. Didn't the RA-921's suffer a few problems in the past? and it is only 25wpc.

Can anyone rate the marantz pm7200? That was my initial thaught but there are mixed reviews.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
If youre looking for a solid sounding budget amp with great punchy, well timed bass, smooth midrange and crisp clear; treble i dont think you could go wrong with:

- A NAD C320BEE integrated amp
- An Arcam Alpha 8 or 9 integrated amp
- The Rotel RA-04 integrated amp OR
- The NAD C352 integrated amp

All the above amps sound great, punch well above their price tag suggests and would last you a good while until your 'upgradeitus' kicks in again and hopefully your budget will be better!

All the above can be bought on eBay with ease and there's always a few examples of each so you will be able to get some high quality items!

A

Anonymous

I would go for a Cambridge Audio 540A or 640A. Cracking budget amp with plenty of drive and they go on ebay for under or just over a 100 with delivery sometimes. Bargain.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Paulthefilmfan:I would go for a Cambridge Audio 540A or 640A. Cracking budget amp with plenty of drive and they go on ebay for under or just over a 100 with delivery sometimes. Bargain.

IMO i dont think that the C/A amps would nmarry well with the MS902 speakers at all. The C/A amps are good but they have to be carefully partnered with speakers and CDP's as theyre a bit clinical sounding sometimes.

A

Anonymous

d_a_n1979:Paulthefilmfan:I would go for a Cambridge Audio 540A or 640A. Cracking budget amp with plenty of drive and they go on ebay for under or just over a 100 with delivery sometimes. Bargain.

IMO i dont think that the C/A amps would nmarry well with the MS902 speakers at all. The C/A amps are good but they have to be carefully partnered with speakers and CDP's as theyre a bit clinical sounding sometimes.

Seconded, I don't think CA would suit the 902's, at all. The speakers are pretty bright itself and have to be partnered carefully. All the CA's I've heard have a pretty bright sound (to my ears), it wouldn't partner well with the 902's.
The Marantz 7200 might be a good option, if you can find one for a very decent price.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Having a re-read of the post again i really think that with your budget, IMO, the best route you could go down would be:

A NAD C320BEE integrated amp and get yourself some decent speakers stands as well (the 2nd hand market on eBay is very good currently). Look at some Atacama Nexus 5 or 6 speakers stands OR some Atamaca SE20/SE24 speaker stands. All can be filled with Atabites or dry kiln sand to weigh them down.

You'll be able to get all the above for well under £200 and have cash to spare for a Saturday night out :)

A

Anonymous

Have to disagree with a couple of replies. The Cambridge amps suit the 902s fine. But I would agree with finding a second hand Arcam. I ran an Arcam alpha 7 with 902s for a few years, and they sounded great together.

A

Anonymous

The Rotel RA-931 Mk 11 sounds very good and as a matter of fact I am looking to sell mine just haven't got around to putting it on ebay yet.

A

Anonymous

NAD 320 BEE, (or 325 BEE) or a used Arcam. Maybe you can find an A65 Plus for GBP 200.

Arcam and NAD are easy to partner. You can't go wrong with these.

I agree with the people who think that CA is not a good choice for the MS, as both can be a bit bright.

matthewpiano

I'd also vote for a NAD or used Arcam. My inclination in your present position would be a NAD 320BEE or 325BEE. Fantastic amps which sound a lot more expensive than they actually are and which will bring some warmth to your system.

I've heard (at home) Cambridge 540A, 640A, and 740A with the 902is (I still have a pair knocking around somewhere) and they didn't gel well with any of them. Too bright and not particularly stable imaging either. Like the Cambridge gear, the 902s can be a bit clinical sounding so need to be partnered with a more musical sounding amplifier.

A

Anonymous

My dad has the 540a amp/cd combo with mordaunt short 902's and too his and my ears they are fine, I guess it depends what music you play, how sensative you are to a more livley treble and probably what interconnects and spk cables you use but hey just a suggestion. cheers

A

Anonymous

I am supprised with the ammount of interest this thread has generated. i dont think i would go for a cambridge audio product again. there are millions of them about and some are sold on ebay after only being owned for a couple of months which makes you think are they as good as people make them out to be. the mordaunt shorts are verry bright.

A NAD or Arcam are verry possible options as you never hear any bad things about them.

it's insane the ammount of choice out there. its always good to hear peoples advice from there own experience.

as for stands i will make do for now and upgrade as i go along. il get the basics sorted first. then look at speaker stands and cables and such.

Any more suggestions? maby not so mainstream makes?

A

Anonymous

yea. the cyrus amps do fetch insane ammounts.

Does anyone have any suggestions or the bottom end of my budget or lower?

so far the nad c320 and the Marantz PM66SE-KI appear to be the best options. the arcam alpha''s are a bit too expensive and would have to go for an alpha 7.

A

Anonymous

ellhead
Ellhead, I know it has been ages since you were looking, but if the NAD C350 would suite your purposes I might be ble to help out. Alternatively, if you wanted to go back to basics I also have a P22 / C22 / R22 combo. FYI, two P22's bi-amped sounds better (to my ears) than a £1000 Roksan Caspian.

A

Anonymous

I have a Sony TAFE370 that I used in a second system. It has a decent phono stage and is awesome for the money.

iiee

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I have an arcam alpha 8 running into q acoustic 2010s in my bedroom which i picked up from ebay for 75 pounds great buy with a nice warm sound which you can listen to for hours i would strongly recommend it if you have speakers which tend towards the bright side.

Edit* the arcam can also be used as a preamp was designed to run into the arcam 8p but might me worth trying with your bose just to see what it sounds like.

A

Anonymous

Hi, If your budget could stretch a bit I would recommend the Marantz PM6003 for £249.

TRENDING THREADS