Blu Ray audio - confused

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
I recently purchased the bu ray audio version of Rolling Stones Grrr! album. Part of the reason for buying is because I wanted to compare the blu ray audio against sacd. I have DSOTM and Dire Straits BIA on Sacd and I'm blown away at how good they sound.

The reason why I'm confused is because I expected the stones album to be 5.1 blu ray (ie Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD) but you only get 2.0 in the sound formats (as well as 2.0 PCM). Or these are the only options I appear to get???

don't get me wrong, still sounds good but given I assumed blu ray equated to 5.1 and had hoped to find a format close to Sacd, but cheaper.

I feel a bit let down- Grrrr indeed!

are all blu-ray audio disks 2chn? Or is it just Grrr? Not sure if it is me being dumb for assuming it would (should?) be 5.1??

it's not as if amazon (where I purchased from), nor the pure audio link (see whf news tonight) explicitly state 2.0??

Appreciate any feedback or clarification

kr

lxd55

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes Grrr is 2 channel, I have read that some releases may be 5.1

There has been much confusion over this format with some buyers expecting images and or 5.1. At least the Grrr is very good value and with Amazon you can return it for a refund?

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback BigH, certainly got me confused, I knew there was no video, ie just audio, but by stating blu-ray just naturally assumed they would be 5.1

will be interesting to see if Grrr is the exception and other disks are 5.1, but I'll be keen for members to feedback on which blu ray audio disks they have and how many channels, since I'm not confident on the websites or packaging to verify from what I've seen so far.

kr

lxd55

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Possibly, but DSOTM is no spring chicken and is class on sacd. I've just ordered WYWH on Sacd (£30, hence the reason for hoping blu ray audio would be equally as good in 5.1, but cheaper :))

just been checking amazon, I see supertramps BReafast in America is 2.0 also, noticed some reviews picking up on the 5.1 theme as well.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
lxd55 said:
Possibly, but DSOTM is no spring chicken and is class on sacd. I've just ordered WYWH on Sacd (£30, hence the reason for hoping blu ray audio would be equally as good in 5.1, but cheaper :))

just been checking amazon, I see supertramps BReafast in America is 2.0 also, noticed some reviews picking up on the 5.1 theme as well.

Yes DSOTM is one of the best 5.1 recordings. There is a new Yes 5.1 Close to the Edge coming out if thats your thing. But many 5.1 are not very good and I don't see the point of mono in 5.1?

As you have found out you have to be careful when purchasing Blu Ray Audio discs as most are recorded in stereo only regardless of audio format.

If it is of any use all the discs from companies such as Naxos come as both stereo and 5.1, and it is clearly stated that they do (for a change).

I am sure other companies will / do follow suit.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
lxd55 said:
Possibly, but DSOTM is no spring chicken and is class on sacd.

Yes, but then Dark Side was originally recorded for quadrophonic, so the surround elements already exist, rather than having to be faked up from an original stereo recording. Arguably the 'unofficial' DVD-A release of the original quad mix is even better than the 5.1 SACD version.

But just because something is on Blu-ray doesn't mean it should be multichannel: there are quite a few older movies either in stereo or in some cases mono on Blu-ray. Some are even in black and white, too.

Don't confuse the carrier with the content :rofl:

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Sorry guys been out for most of the day:

BigH -re How does the sound of BluRay audio compare to SACD and CD?

Difficult to compare to sacd since 5.1 vs 2.0. For the 2 sacd disks I have they are stunning and I love listening to them. So for me sacd is best, but too expensive and not enough music that I like available.

I need to do some focused listening to really identify the benefits of BR Audio to cd - been difficult to concentrate since when it's been playing I was assuming there should be a menu option for 5.1 so was distracted. Now I now it's 2.0 I can relax and enjoy it for what it is etc.

Al ears - defo on being careful, learnt the hard way! :). Thanks for tip re Naxos.

Spiny Norman - if the DVD-A version Is better than SACD then that will some feat indeed :).

Cheers guys

D

Deleted member 2457

Just bought a Guns N Roses live at the 02 Blu-Ray on eBay which looks to be a Russian edition and that is only 2.0 sound too. A bit disappointing but the Blu-Ray is still good. You have to turn the volume up loud though to hear it good, which I don't really like doing.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
Just bought a Guns N Roses live at the 02 Blu-Ray on eBay which looks to be a Russian edition and that is only 2.0 sound too. A bit disappointing but the Blu-Ray is still good. You have to turn the volume up loud though to hear it good, which I don't really like doing.

Not another pirate disc, gel?

D

Deleted member 2457

lxd55 said:
Hi Gel, did you know it would be 2.0 when you purchased, or only when you got it - which was the same as me for Grrr?

kr

lxd55

I didn't know much about it because no shops sell it. I had seen it on an American site. I was hoping it would sound better though.

UNPUBLISHED BY MODS - BREACH OF HOUSE RULE 6

D

Deleted member 2457

;)
spiny norman said:
gel said:

Not another pirate disc, gel?

UNPUBLISHED BY MODS - BREACH OF HOUSE RULE 6

D

Deleted member 2457

lxd55 said:
I recently purchased the bu ray audio version of Rolling Stones Grrr! album. Part of the reason for buying is because I wanted to compare the blu ray audio against sacd. I have DSOTM and Dire Straits BIA on Sacd and I'm blown away at how good they sound.

The reason why I'm confused is because I expected the stones album to be 5.1 blu ray (ie Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD) but you only get 2.0 in the sound formats (as well as 2.0 PCM). Or these are the only options I appear to get???

don't get me wrong, still sounds good but given I assumed blu ray equated to 5.1 and had hoped to find a format close to Sacd, but cheaper.

I feel a bit let down- Grrrr indeed!

are all blu-ray audio disks 2chn? Or is it just Grrr? Not sure if it is me being dumb for assuming it would (should?) be 5.1??

it's not as if amazon (where I purchased from), nor the pure audio link (see whf news tonight) explicitly state 2.0??

Appreciate any feedback or clarification

kr

lxd55

Didn't you look on the box to see what it was before you purchased it? That is what I always do.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:
At the end of the day if I am funding some Russian mafia I don't care, one funds Chelsea football club at the end of the day! :)

And people-trafficking for prostitution, the drugs trade, selling weapons to criminals, money-laundering and organised crime are all OK with you, too?

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:
At the end of the day if I am funding some Russian mafia I don't care, one funds Chelsea football club at the end of the day! :)

And people-trafficking for prostitution, the drugs trade, selling weapons to criminals, money-laundering and organised crime are all OK with you, too?

Yep, someone is going to buy them at the end of the day, it was an auction so it might as well be me. What difference does it make?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
spiny norman said:
gel said:

Yep, someone is going to buy them at the end of the day, it was an auction so it might as well be me. What difference does it make?

I appreciate the candidness with which you admit your moral bankruptcy and the refreshingly open way in which you support criminality on a public forum. A lot of people wouldn't have the guts.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
gel said:

Yep, I know I was caught having sex with that scared, drugged-up 13 year old Romanian girl, but at the end of the day if I hadn't paid to have her, someone else would've, so it might as well be me. What difference does it make?

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi Gel

re: "Didn't you look on the box to see what it was before you purchased it? That is what I always do."

no I didn't, just assumed would be 5.1. That said I've had a look at the box labelling, although it states 2.0 PCM, the logos for Dolby trueHD and DTS HD

do not -from what I can tell. Which I think is a bit naughty, as most buyers would naturally equate blu ray with high def 5.1 sound.

but you live n learn as they say.

i'm a fan of gnr, but the original line up, I thought Chinese democracy album sucked.

kr

lxd55

D

Deleted member 2457

lxd55 said:
Hi Gel

re: "Didn't you look on the box to see what it was before you purchased it? That is what I always do."

no I didn't, just assumed would be 5.1. That said I've had a look at the box labelling, although it states 2.0 PCM, the logos for Dolby trueHD and DTS HD

do not -from what I can tell. Which I think is a bit naughty, as most buyers would naturally equate blu ray with high def 5.1 sound.

but you live n learn as they say.

i'm a fan of gnr, but the original line up, I thought Chinese democracy album sucked.

kr

lxd55

Yep, you always have to check but one would have expected it to be better for sure.

D

Deleted member 2457

spiny norman said:
gel said:

Yep, I know I was caught having sex with that scared, drugged-up 13 year old Romanian girl, but at the end of the day if I hadn't paid to have her, someone else would've, so it might as well be me. What difference does it make?

I don't see it as the same thing.

lxd55

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Gel, spiny Norman, chebby,

Whilst I appreciate and value your feedback to my OP I don't want this to descend into a thread off subject about morals. No objections to you opening up a new topic under miscellaneous guys to continue your debate. I just didn't open my thread to go down this route, only to share my confusion on blu-ray audio and if anyone else had. From feedback received I believe this is the case and hopefully other forum members will be more aware.

Try and chill, it's a Sunday, the sun is out :)

Kr

Lxd55

gel said:
spiny norman said:
gel said:

You do realise that you've handed over your credit card details to Russian mafia. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts