• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Format, format, format.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
You're trying to co-opt my thread.

Yes, my views, my direction when paying: I pursue pure Hi-Fi—which we should keep in mind stands for high fidelity.

I'm not going to explore new 44.1/16 if it's going to cost me.

And I'm not always pursuing Hi-Fi, YouTube being free, the following "sounds good" to me:

Not your kind of thread? Note the title of this favourite:
So having looked up what you were getting at.
Yes, Hifi does stand for Hi Fidelity.
But, what does Hifi (Hi Fidelity) mean?
Apparently it means quality reproduction of sound. No matter what the source. In contrast to crappy equipment which does not reproduce sound anywhere near as well.

So, a quality CD player, amp and speakers, reproducing a decent recording from a CD, is Hi Fidelity!!
In contrast, playing a hi quality, super dooper FLAC recording over your crappy laptop, would not be Hi Fidelity.

Fantastic. Every time you mention Hi Fidelity I'm going to ask you what decent CD player you are using!!

Wil

May 8, 2020
Faux pas.
Fantastic. Every time you mention Hi Fidelity I'm going to ask you what decent CD player you are using!!
Connected balanced XRL to the amp seen in my 1st Post, my dedicated CD player is a level above. The CD-7, glimpsed at the left:
007.jpg
It's also named as one of The best 24 CD players of What Hi-Fi?'s lifetime

Some of my other players have been shown in Change…

Last edited:

Wil

May 8, 2020
There's-not-enough-time (in each day), that's how I've been greatly feeling since late last year.

Wil, unfortunately they're expensive, but there are some disc players that will natively play DSD/SACD without downsampling or converting to PCM. Marantz and PS Audio among others make such players.

If SACD did not take off then it's only Sony/Philips to blame. And blame that on pure free market greed. It was a well known fact that even in the 80s CDs were cheaper to produce than vinyl but still priced higher. And SACD even more so, along with dismal and confused marketing. Why the **ck woul anyone want to buy it back in '99 when CDs were still thriving? Especially when Sony clearly didn't know how to sell it! Is it any wonder it failed??? It also arrived about at least 7 years too late.

I have neither the desire, time nor space to go back to vinyl. As for CD, contrary to what others say some CD players are bl**dy well better than others. It's still a very valid format.
As my previous Post showed, I've bought decent hardware. Software/music-media is nowadays prevalent, can be as cheap-as-streaming. If anything, I'd like to save to spend money on buying still better hardware (while revisiting what's been neglected in my library).

Incidentally, stepping back, I recall manicm once praising the PM7000N to me, I see it got 5 Stars and is a What Hi-Fi? Awards 2020 winner:
Fun, I had earlier bought a NA6006. But network audio isn't something I'm currently using much of.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS