Blown away by a bargain

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
I've just bought an old Pioneer A400 amp for a ridiculously low price, as a temporary stand-in while I try to repair a Myryad Z140. Imagine my (pleasant) surprise, when I wire it up and discover that it kicks the proverbial shampoo out of my NAD C350 (which I stupidly sold a month or two ago).

The NAD was good, awesome in fact. I'm amazed that a much older, cheaper amp- which on paper should be outclassed by the rest of my kit- can sound so breathtakingly good. Just finished spinning Roisin Murphy's Overpowered album, and I'm literally buzzing with satisfaction! I think I've found what we call 'synergy'... The bass is tight, punchy and superbly deep, the mid is articulate and involving and the treble is sharp and detailed, but not harsh. Stereo imaging is rock-solid, and about as good as I've ever heard.

I'm now seriously debating whether to bother with the Z140, as I fail to see how it could be any better than the A400!

Much smugness here at present...

Anyone want to buy a sick Myryad? (Only joking mods, it ain't for sale- I will fix it one day!)

idc

I am sure that that Pioneer amp is one that cropped up before on the forum as an 'its old, but its very good' product. I auditioned one with a Denon PMA250SE and preferred the Denon. I am also sure you are spot on with your comment about synergy. Now resist the temptation to change anything!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
idc:I am sure that that Pioneer amp is one that cropped up before on the forum as an 'its old, but its very good' product. I auditioned one with a Denon PMA250SE and preferred the Denon. I am also sure you are spot on with your comment about synergy. Now resist the temptation to change anything!

I bought a 250SE for my Dad recently and although, he has lesser speakers than me (he has Kef IQ1s) and it was a bargain (£80 delivered), and it sounds very nice, it does make me scoff at some of the people on here that say older equipment is always better than the new stuff. My system wipes the floor with my Dad's. I would have been shocked and upset if this hadn't been the case but I did have a few doubts after reading a few posts on here. One thing though, I've not heard any of the new budget stuff - like the £300 a box range. It would be interesting to see how that compared to my Dad's set up - by the way he loves it!

A

Anonymous

Yes, the original Pioneer A400 amp was excellent. What followed next - A400x, was not quite as good though...

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Matt,

I've been ploughing through CDs for the last week! Been consistently impressed so far.

Listening to Roisin was merely what made be bolt upstairs and write a post about it! You are certainly correct on the production- possibly one of the best-sounding albums ever?

The thing is, I'm a "fiddler" by nature- I'm always swapping components, buying new bits, selling old stuff on (not just hifi, my PC gets interfered with regularly too...), so it is quite an odd feeling to think that I have found a possible end-point to my 'upgrade' trail.

Unless I can find lots of Rotel power amps, that is... I don't know why but I've always wanted four bridged RB971s...

John Duncan

matt gurney:
What other albums have you tried it with, because," Roisin Murphy's Overpowered" is so well produced it would sound good through a swimming pool tannoy*!
emotion-5.gif

*other public address systems are available.

A

Anonymous

if you are happy with the A400 and wish to upgrade in the far future ... look at getting a Pioneer A300-R precison ...

these were the ones modded by Tom Evans ... has a gold badge on the lower r/h side with the word 'Precision' ... (he also tweaked tha A400 and was renamed to the A400GTE) ... although the A300R precision is only rated at 45 watts @ 8 ohms, the soundstage, bass and treble is better than the A400 GTE (according to several who have compared the 2)

there were 4 upgrades offered for the A300R precision and they were represented by different colours of the LED on the unit ... red being the standard A300-r precision and blue being the 'full monty'

The 'full monty' used to cost £750 to have the mods done in the 90's (plus the £400 for the standard amp) ... If you get one now, and it is the red LED (lowest mods), Tom Evans will still upgrade it to the 'full monty' but it will cost £550 ... many say that it is worth it

I bought one on sunday for £113.13 but has the red light ... I may have the 'full monty' done in the future (have not heard it yet as I collect in London on saturday) ... Have an A400 wghich I have given to my son, but will replace it with this A300-R precision

A

Anonymous

I love the old Pioneer amps, I am still using two of them with my Advents. However I've had to replace two balance controls over the years :(

idc

Gerrardasnails:....... One thing though, I've not heard any of the new budget stuff - like the £300 a box range. It would be interesting to see how that compared to my Dad's set up - by the way he loves it!

I replaced the Denon with a Rega Mira at about £450ish at the time. The difference was obvious, the Mira was better.

A

Anonymous

Dougal1331: Unless I can find lots of Rotel power amps, that is... I don't know why but I've always wanted four bridged RB971s...

Bridged Rotel amps is for 8 ohm minimum impedance. Not too much choice of speakers.

Any comments about Pioneer A-676 ?

A

Anonymous

ediots:

Dougal1331: Unless I can find lots of Rotel power amps, that is... I don't know why but I've always wanted four bridged RB971s...

Any comments about Pioneer A-676 ?

never heard one ... google and read comments ... but I would rather be patient, save up a bit longer and get an SA-9800

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts