Better Wi-fi Signal

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hi,
I have just changed Broadband supplier, from BT to Orange, and the router they have sent is a Netgear DGN1000, to replace the BT Homehub2.
Since changing provider I have had some problems, mainly the Wi-fi signal dropping out, even if used in the same room as the router.
My question is this, is the router at fault or the Broadband service, in your opinion ?
Would a better router be the answer and if so which would you recommend ?
Also my signal upstairs is patchy, so would "homeplugs" or something else be the answer, again any recommendations/opinions would be gratfully recieved.
Cheers Richard.....d'oh!(you know who you are...lol).

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
The quality of your wi fi is down to the router, not the ISP. The ISP supplies hard wired broadband to your house, that's it. Your router then sends that out via wired or wireless.

However, as BB suppliers now supplies routers (they didn't until fairly recently) it's probably worth giving them a call if you're not happy with.

Try changing the channel on the router and having a play with its position.

I find the reach of all wireless routers pretty pathetic. None get anywhere near the distance they claim. BT Home Hubs though, for all their faults, are actually not bad. I'm now on the HH3 which is OK, but nothing special. If you go down the Apple Airport route you can plug one of these into your Orange router and it (not the Orange router) creates the wireless LAN. You can then extend this with an Airport Express. I used to do this in a house that had three stories to cover it all but don't need it now.

Also - try plugging the BT HH back in - it might still work.

Paul.

The Talk Talk router I recieved was junk, so I ended up connecting it by ethernet to another Router I had kicking around. I would assume BT has locked down the firmware so you cant fettle it too much (as 02 did with an old router I had) but you may be able to plug your new router in to the old one via ethernet, thus avoiding faffing with settings.

Another option which may or not help as your router has an antenna, is to build a parabolic reflector. Its easier than it sounds!

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Paul.

You can try building a parabolic reflector for your antena, its easier than it sounds! You just need some card, tinfoil, pritstick, a scaple (or stanley) and about 15 minutes.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/template2/index.html

Paul.

Bizarre, none of my replies are showing up? I assume its the link... If you type 'parabolic reflector template' in to google, and click the first link, it has a template to make a reflector which should give you a 9dB gain on your antenna.

ziggy47

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Roger & Paul for your suggestions/comments.
I agree with Roger in that it's the router at fault, however Orange only supply this model.
I did try to use the BT Homehub2, but it won't work with the Orange BB, not too surprising.
I will have to play with a few things before I finally throw the Netgear away...lol...
Cheers Richard...

iMark

We have a FritzBox 7170 (supplied by our ISP in NL) which has all sorts of tweaking options. First thing I changed was the channel because there are many wifi networks in our street. The Fritz shows all channels and I could work out which channel wasn't used.

Another thing I could change was the power of the signal. I upped it a bit when we got an iPad which we use in the bedroom.

The FritzBoxes are really good and offer all kinds of tweaking. Don't know if they're sold in the UK though.

TRENDING THREADS