Wi-Fi or Bluetooth link to amp ?

Chrisk01

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,
I had an apple airport express Wi-Fi box that I used to stream music from my iPhone/iPad to my amp - I’d say the quality was pretty good but now apple have withdrawn support for airport etc and as my wifi network has changed and I’m struggling to get it up and running again.

I’ve seen a few Bluetooth adaptors, the IFI ZEN looking like a favourite, my question is what’s better in terms of bandwidth/quality?
I guess the question is -
1 wifi
2 Bluetooth
3 an amp that supports either, but I wonder if that would add anything in terms of quality to 1 or 2

Any help appreciated.

manicm

In the context of hifi what you mention as WiFi is actually internet streaming. If you have a DAC, either standalone or within your amp, iFi make a streamer which will connect to one.

There are other similar priced alternatives too that I'm sure others can mention here.

daveh75

Hi all,
I had an apple airport express Wi-Fi box that I used to stream music from my iPhone/iPad to my amp - I’d say the quality was pretty good but now apple have withdrawn support for airport etc and as my wifi network has changed and I’m struggling to get it up and running again.

I’ve seen a few Bluetooth adaptors, the IFI ZEN looking like a favourite, my question is what’s better in terms of bandwidth/quality?
I guess the question is -
1 wifi
2 Bluetooth
3 an amp that supports either, but I wonder if that would add anything in terms of quality to 1 or 2

Any help appreciated.

WiFi is better than Bluetooth due to the bandwidth limitations of the latter.

I would recommend looking at the Wiim Mini.

It supports Airplay 2*, so is an ideal replacement for your AEX imo.

https://wiimhome.com/Overview.html

* As well as Spotify/Tidal Connect, Bluetooth and many of the streaming services are integrated too so caters for most streaming needs.

Last edited:

Chrisk01

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
Hi, the source of the music itself is either the iphone or ipad as they have local/downloaded versions of the music.

Sounds like wifi is better, I’ll have a look at the Wiim mini.
Thanks all.

Chrisk01

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
Wiim mini sounds like the best option but out of stock everywhere other than a dodgy sounding site.

Any ideas on a reputable in-stock dealer or good alternative?

Thanks

Chrisk01

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
hmm, thanks for the info - but I’m going to try and stick with wifi - I’ve found something called a Acemax M5 audiocast, apparently does the job and supports airplay, about £40 on amazon etc.

Chrisk01

Aug 13, 2022
Visit site
okay, sooo got the wiim mini, e90 from above link.

Great bit of kit, easy to get going as either bluetooth or wifi; I’m using wifi from iphone/ipad (locally stored) with the digital cable supplied into the amp from the unit. It seems to do a lot more via the app but that’s it for me.

Top bit of kit.
Thanks all.

TRENDING THREADS