Best sub under £300.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
What is currently the best sub on the market for under £300?

How would it compare to my QA 1000SI?

I'm thinking in terms of sealed boxes for tight punchy bass...........

A

Anonymous

I think for that money you could either get a second hand RSW12.

Or BK subwoofers seem to be amazing value.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
BK subs look good, but don't have auto switch off/standby, which would be annoying, I think....same cos the Gemini 2 or XLS200 looked interesting.....

The MA RSW-12 is a little bigger than the one I have....would I really need a 500w amp on a sub in a room measuring 14' x 12'???

Ronald....can't find your ebay argain, but have found one for £370.....

Long term, I may end up getting the B&W 685 theatre package, so would it be a good idea to buy in stages, starting with the AW608 or 610 instead?

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:

BK subs look good, but don't have auto switch off/standby, which would be annoying, I think....same cos the Gemini 2 or XLS200 looked interesting.....

The MA RSW-12 is a little bigger than the one I have....would I really need a 500w amp on a sub in a room measuring 14' x 12'???

Ronald....can't find your ebay argain, but have found one for £370.....

Long term, I may end up getting the B&W 685 theatre package, so would it be a good idea to buy in stages, starting with the AW608 or 610 instead?

I have the ASW610, in my 6.5m x 3.6M room and it sounds awesome, I also auditioned a RSW12, sunfire HRS8 & RXW12, and although the 2 MA and sunfire units where more powerful, I decided the B&W was more than sufficient for my room, plus the timing was better on the B&W and it sounded better with music.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
£300 is tops really.......assuming the wife will let me....
emotion-3.gif

I've found a Tannoy TS 10 for £300ish......

It has great reviews a few years back, and it has auto standby, and a downfiring sealed speaker, in a similar sized box to the QA 1000si......

I assume it would be a big step up in quality, right?

Would it be better than the B&W AW 608, as it has a bigger cone? And how would it go against the B&W AW 610? (Although the 610 is £400!!)

Anyone know.....

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
£300 is tops really.......assuming the wife will let me....
emotion-3.gif

I've found a Tannoy TS 10 for £300ish......

It has great reviews a few years back, and it has auto standby, and a downfiring sealed speaker, in a similar sized box to the QA 1000si......

I assume it would be a big step up in quality, right?

Would it be better than the B&W AW 608, as it has a bigger cone? And how would it go against the B&W AW 610? (Although the 610 is £400!!)

Anyone know.....

A used Tannoy TS10 went for £192.00 last week!

Pistol Pete1:

It doesn't matter how powerful the sub is.....in fact, a 500 watt subwoofer will perform better at a low "volume" than a 150 watt one at high "volume".

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
bigboss:Pistol Pete1:

It doesn't matter how powerful the sub is.....in fact, a 500 watt subwoofer will perform better at a low "volume" than a 150 watt one at high "volume".

Agreed!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Shame I missed that Tannoy TS 10....but I hear they are very light and can 'bounce' around a laminated floor......
emotion-8.gif

Maybe not a good idea, then......

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Bigboss..........

I started this search on that website looking at the Gemini 2.......

The one you have highlighted seems to be the 'people's choice' judging by another forum I look at.

But..........

'What no auto standby??????'

Come on....it's the year 2010!!!!!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Anyone else got a BK sub? (Preferably the XLS200 or Gemini 2)

Do you switch sub off and on each day, as it has no auto standby, or does it not matter if you left it on??

A

Anonymous

Yup when I get in, its on until I go to bed, dont bother with auto.

But since I got RX6 I am finding I am using it a lot less watching tv and some drama's ect.

But during action and horror defo

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Acoustic Energy Radiance is back down to £200 on Britain's favourite auction site and as I mentioned it works really well with my Q Acousitcs system. I have wooden floor boards and doesn't boom.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
lesmallett:Acoustic Energy Radiance is back down to £200 on Britain's favourite auction site and as I mentioned it works really well with my Q Acousitcs system. I have wooden floor boards and doesn't boom.

Interesting.....but they are 'b' stock (repaired/returned or ex review stock), and might have cosmetic imperfections...

How was yours when it arrived? Did you hear any other subs before getting it?

I assume you had the QA 1000si initially?

Does it have auto standby and what other QA speakers do you have in your system?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts