Best sub under £300.....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
What will that do to the overall sound of the sub?

More dynamic, deeper, or more volume once the rubber surround 'loosens up' a little?

It really is a cracking sub so far....even the wife thought it was excellent compared to the old QA 1000si.....

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
It'll just be subtle differences, people have tried to quantify the benefits of "running in" forever - you'll probably end up with it sounding just a touch more dynamic and faster to respond, unlikely to get deeper though. I wouldn't go through any sort of running in phase, just use it as normal and it will gradually improve over the course of a few weeks, a little like a new engine on a car really - any new mechanical device takes a little time to bed in.

Glad you AND the wife are enjoying it though!
emotion-1.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
AEJim,

Still loving the Radiance sub, as too is my friend with his KEF speakers......

Also just wanted to say how good the notch filter is......the sub was a bit boomy at one stage (changed position of sub in lounge), but after a few mins playing with the filter settings, I have eliminiated it!!!! I have helped my friend, to good effect, with his too.

One question....as it's a front firing sub, would it be better to have the sub facing the listening area, or is it ok firing across the room? Reason I ask is that i could (and have been tempted for a while now), wall mount my tv and centre speaker, buy a smaller front cabinet, thus giving me more room to place the sub facing the listening area. As the moment, that wall is full, so the sub is firing across the room from left to right, just in front of my front speakers....(as shown in the Radiance manual).....

Thanks.....

A

Anonymous

so your very happy with your radience sub pete? ill have my paws on one shortly
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

yea, i asked jim for a further reduction as were both members of the lg fan club
emotion-4.gif
..but he was having none of it
emotion-5.gif

great deal though
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Yes it is......which colour?

I got the antique ash version, and it looks great.......

The notch filter works well, and the sound is deep and punchy.....

You gotta love a bargain!!!!

What sub is it replacing, or don't you current have one? (read your equipment list?)

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Yes it is......which colour?

I got the antique ash version, and it looks great.......

The notch filter works well, and the sound is deep and punchy.....

You gotta love a bargain!!!!

What sub is it replacing, or don't you current have one? (read your equipment list?)
yep, antique ash also, i had a brw10, now flogged, im hoping the radience will be better, im very happy with the price, id have liked an ma rsw12 or rxw12, but they're a bit too pricey for me
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I've read the MA BRW 10 isn't that good (don't shoot the messenger, if I'm wrong!!!)....

I'd imagine you'll be happy with the improvement this one will give......I've read reports that this sub is excellent, unless used at 'silly' volumes....(american report/review, and they love their deep bass!!!!)

It's said to be good with music too.......in fact, I've not seen a bad review on it yet......

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
I've read the MA BRW 10 isn't that good (don't shoot the messenger, if I'm wrong!!!)....

I'd imagine you'll be happy with the improvement this one will give......I've read reports that this sub is excellent, unless used at 'silly' volumes....(american report/review, and they love their deep bass!!!!)

It's said to be good with music too.......in fact, I've not seen a bad review on it yet......
yea i found the brw10 wanting to be honest, its ok, but i wanted more, ive also read those reviews pete, so im very hopeful for the radience
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:Let me know what you think when it arrives and you've had a chance to listen to it.......

full radience subwoofer review in about a week
emotion-21.gif

poor jim wont be able to sleep
emotion-4.gif

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete,

The MA BRW10 was far from satisfactory for me too.

It would be interesting to hear how the AE Radiance compares against my Epos ELS sub, which in my opinion, is just fantastic.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:Initial thoughts/comments, Maxflinn?its in transit, ive been told by the nice lady at acoustic energy that i may have it tmw, if not monday..

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:Initial thoughts/comments, Maxflinn?its in transit, ive been told by the nice lady at acoustic energy that i may have it tmw, if not monday..

Any sign of it yet Max? Not sure how good deliveries are down there in the far reaches of Middle-Earth!
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

AEJim:
maxflinn:Pistol Pete1:Initial thoughts/comments, Maxflinn?its in transit, ive been told by the nice lady at acoustic energy that i may have it tmw, if not monday..

Any sign of it yet Max? Not sure how good deliveries are down there in the far reaches of Middle-Earth!
emotion-5.gif

the courier is 5 min away
emotion-19.gif

emotion-4.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
How exciting!!! Let us know your initial thoughts on it.....

I have tempted others from another forum to purchase this sub, and so far all have been extremely impressed/happy with their purchase....

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
How exciting!!! Let us know your initial thoughts on it.....

I have tempted others from another forum to purchase this sub, and so far all have been extremely impressed/happy with their purchase....

initial thoughts will probably have to wait till tmw, im off to the pub now with a few workmates, its friday
emotion-11.gif

there may be a mini review later tonight, but it will be in russian
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

hi pete, if you dont mind me asking, how do you have yours setup? what settings? ta..

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
AEJim,

Had a little scare last night with the sub, Jim. I have a photo frame on it, but bought a black mouse mat to put on top of the sub, and then the frame on the mat so not to mark the it.

Anyway, I took the mouse mat off to clean the top, and it left had a mark. I assumed a lot of dust was on the other part of the sub (thus the clean mark the mat had left), so got a cloth to brush it off.....but in made no difference at all!!!!

So I was left with a mouse mat mark on the top of the sub....
emotion-3.gif

Anyway, I used water with the cloth and the mark disappeared, but what was that all about? Any idea?

And should I be putting things on top of this sub? Ideally I'd like to have the mousemat and photo back on it, if it will not cause long term damage to the sub box colouration.

Thanks.....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
emotion-6.gif
emotion-6.gif
emotion-6.gif

After only owning the sub for a few weeks, it has decided to give up!!!!

Checked fuses, mains cables etc, but no red or green light it being lit up on the back!!!!

I can't believe it....
emotion-8.gif

Time to see how good the customer service at AE is now.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts