Best sub under £300.....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I spoke to them about B stock and the story I was told was that a customer had reporting the veneer lifting from their sub so they put that manufactured batch up for B stock, all electronics are perfect. They said I could return in 14 days and get a full refund if not happy.

Mine is in perfect condition though. They are not too big in size but weigh a meaty 17 kg. Has auto off plus a number of other controls I haven't fiddled with much for reducing any booming you might get.

I have the old Q Acousitc 1010, not the i's with additional 1020's to make into 7.1. Amp is Onkyo 606. 1000s sub was rubbish so new sub makes a huge difference. Thinking amp needs replacing next as listen to a lot of music but then again speakers probably aren't good enough for a better amp.

I have got the sub on 2 granite slabs so not sure if it would boom without it. Certainly the bass is tight and it plays really low tones. As it wears in I'm able to keep turning the volume up as the bass tightens which is nice.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that info....

I had the Onkyo 606 before my Denon......defo not good for 2 channel music....

I have granite slabs under my floorstanders and sub, which is the 'i' version, and meant to be a lot better than the original one you had......

I'm getting a mate's KEF PSW 2010 sealed sub tomorrow to compare with my ported one...

Will know more about this upgrade after that, and the Manchester Show on Sunday.....
emotion-4.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ok, the KEF PSW 2010 sealed unit is very different to my 1000SI ported one.....

More definition, punch and impact, which in turn makes the whole sound less muffled/boomy in comparison to my ported 1000si.

I feel a purchase coming on......

But which:

Acoustic Energy Radiance sub (£200...'b' stock)

BK Gemini 2 (£200)

or

BK XLS200 mkII (£300)

emotion-18.gif

Will see what's at the Manchester Show on Sunday too, I guess.....

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I hope you're happy with it.

Should sound much better than mine with your amp. Will be interested to see what you think as I will get a new amp at some point.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
With an amp in the sub, not sure whether my receiver will make too much difference.....but it makes a lot of difference with the other speakers in the system....

I went to a shop and saw the AE Radiance range for myself today, before ordering one.....

The salesman (bought my Denon 2310 from there) said he only had one sub in the shop that would better the Radiance one........the MJ Acoustics Pro 55....

Can't wait till next week now....will let you know what I think when it's here and worn in a bit..

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Hope you like the sub Pete!

It's a very good unit and generally gets singled-out praise in 5.1 reviews (despite the lower power rating than many - a concern for our American colleagues initially but since it's "real" watts no-one has noticed anything lacking for its size!). If you can figure out the notch filters it can be made to work very well in pretty much any room.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Thanks Jim,

Wanna briefly explain about the 'notch' filters?

Just ordered a second one for a friend too.....
emotion-3.gif

Well, they're basically there so you can tune out bass humps caused by room position/nodes (areas where bass can get excessive - all rooms have these). You'll find they affect particular frequencies depending on the room - with a notch filter you can dial out bass sharply at the problem frequency while not affecting the rest of the range, it's a very useful function for maximizing performance and not getting a horrible boom in the room!

The manual will probably explain it all better than me but by all means let me know on here how you get on - and if there's any help you need...

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:Great thanks Jim.......sounds like an interesting 'tweak' feature!!!
emotion-4.gif

Yeah, I wasn't keen initially but after trying it out I'd never go back!

The design is basically the same as the Neo Sub + real wood veneer (hence the difference in cost, more than the Neo but not as expensive as the old Aelite sub which was a cheaper range than Radiance - if that makes sense!). It will be the same model as our next Aelite range replacement unit too. It works very well and we spent quite a bit of time developing it so it's now the one design we will use until we need something smaller or larger.

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi Jim,

I never really got the notch filters to work for me and ended up using the amps equaliser. It was brand new then though and the sub sounds even better now, should I have another go with them now?

Is it better to use the notch filters or the av amps equalisers?

A

Anonymous

AEJim:

It's a very good unit and generally gets singled-out praise in 5.1 reviews (despite the lower power rating than many - a concern for our American colleagues initially but since it's "real" watts no-one has noticed anything lacking for its size!). If you can figure out the notch filters it can be made to work very well in pretty much any room.

i read a review yesterday jim, of an AE system with that sub in it, on another forum, they were very impressed with it, i wonder would it be a worthwhile step up from my monitor audio brw10 150watts? i suppose thats tricky for you to answer
emotion-4.gif

im thinking of getting rid of that as im not too impressed (perhaps im just getting used to its power and want more) , and was going to try and get an rsw12, but they're pricey, and at 500 watts i was wondering if it would be overkill in my 4.5 x 4.5m room..

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
lesmallett:
Hi Jim,

I never really got the notch filters to work for me and ended up using the amps equaliser. It was brand new then though and the sub sounds even better now, should I have another go with them now?

Is it better to use the notch filters or the av amps equalisers?

Hi Les,

The filters are definitely worth playing with though you have to spend some time to figure out what frequencies are causing most issues in your room. I'd say if you're happy with the amp's EQ function to sort it then that's perfectly ok! (Is it just a straight crossover frequency adjustment or proper EQ facility on the amp? - I've not seen very comprehensive sub controls on many AV amps)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:AEJim:

i read a review yesterday jim, of an AE system with that sub in it, on another forum, they were very impressed with it, i wonder would it be a worthwhile step up from my monitor audio brw10 150watts? i suppose thats tricky for you to answer
emotion-4.gif

im thinking of getting rid of that as im not too impressed (perhaps im just getting used to its power and want more) , and was going to try and get an rsw12, but they're pricey, and at 500 watts i was wondering if it would be overkill in my 4.5 x 4.5m room..

Hi Max,

Bit hard for me to say on both technical AND political grounds!
emotion-5.gif
I've not heard the MA sub to compare (well not knowingly at least!) - perhaps someone else has experience of both?

The power ratings shouldn't matter much, you tend to get more control with more power so it wouldn't necessarily be an issue in a small room and could be a benefit - depends how well the product is designed more than the figures really.

Our US Sales guy insisted we needed 500watts at least to challenge JL Audio and the likes over there - in reality I think we've had all our most rave reviews from US mags over the last year or so, all love the sub and are surprised by how well it performs compared to the figures on paper... We designed it after listening and testing the main competition and decided sealed-box was the way to go for clean, punchy bass which can keep pace with music as well as having some slam for films.

A

Anonymous

AEJim:maxflinn:AEJim:

emotion-4.gif

Hi Max,

Bit hard for me to say on both technical AND political grounds!
emotion-5.gif
I've not heard the MA sub to compare (well not knowingly at least!) - perhaps someone else has experience of both?

The power ratings shouldn't matter much, you tend to get more control with more power so it wouldn't necessarily be an issue in a small room and could be a benefit - depends how well the product is designed more than the figures really.

Our US Sales guy insisted we needed 500watts at least to challenge JL Audio and the likes over there - in reality I think we've had all our most rave reviews from US mags over the last year or so, all love the sub and are surprised by how well it performs compared to the figures on paper... We designed it after listening and testing the main competition and decided sealed-box was the way to go for clean, punchy bass which can keep pace with music as well as having some slam for films.
cheers jim
emotion-21.gif
, your diplomacy skills are impressive
emotion-5.gif
, ill defo read up a bit more on your sub, its price per apparent performance makes it very tempting, the rsw12 may be a tad expensive for me, and as i say my brw10 is decent, but i feel i want a bit more than it can give, so its going on a well known auction site shortly
emotion-21.gif

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Yeah, once you're not happy with something it plays on your mind! (My car has been playing up but the usual "deaf mechanic syndrome" is in full effect so I can't see anything getting sorted and am having a browse on Autotrader...
emotion-2.gif
)

My diplomacy varies depending on tea intake, tiredness and current state of business with various suppliers - this week is a good one! I've been known to upset Andrew numerous times on here so try to bite my tongue where I can nowadays!!
emotion-5.gif
(I think he's secretly held back my new subscription copy of the Awards issue as it hasn't arrived, now accounts are pestering me for proof of our ad... D'oh!)

A

Anonymous

AEJim:
Yeah, once you're not happy with something it plays on your mind! (My car has been playing up but the usual "deaf mechanic syndrome" is in full effect so I can't see anything getting sorted and am having a browse on Autotrader...
emotion-2.gif
)

My diplomacy varies depending on tea intake, tiredness and current state of business with various suppliers - this week is a good one! I've been known to upset Andrew numerous times on here so try to bite my tongue where I can nowadays!!
emotion-5.gif
(I think he's secretly held back my new subscription copy of the Awards issue as it hasn't arrived, now accounts are pestering me for proof of our ad... D'oh!)
my forum diplomacy skills have improved lately by thinking what im going to type, and waiting 10 minutes before deciding to press post
emotion-5.gif
so far so good
emotion-16.gif

lesmallett

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Jim,

Amp is Onkyo 606 and you can adjust the equalisers for the speakers if you switch the Audessey thing off. Found the sub gets much louder around 37Hz and then at 55Hz in my room so wanted to reduce the volume at those frequencies.

Not tried it again since its run in a bit more.

Even though the sub has its own amp the fact the av amp can alter the sound made me think a better av amp would improve the subs sound, if that makes any sense.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
I prefer the Radiance/Neo sub - and it's cheaper! Like I mentioned earlier, when we replace the Aelite it will have the same sub in matching finishes...

The Aelite sub probably has a touch more output but it's slower and less clean - it's by no means a bad sub, but it is an older design and the Radiance sub is a move forward in my opinion.

lazar1980

Aug 17, 2008
Visit site
AEJim:
The design is basically the same as the Neo Sub + real wood veneer (hence the difference in cost, more than the Neo but not as expensive as the old Aelite sub which was a cheaper range than Radiance - if that makes sense!).

So, basically veneer is only difference between Radience and Neo 2 subs?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Two hours after it's first start up, and the AE Radiance sub is very impressive indeed......

It's a completely different animal to the QA 1000Si, and my friend's KEF PSW 2010 sealed unit........(he'll be pleased about that, as I have his in my dining room awaiting him to collect it!!!)

It's the sheer power of bass that it gives, effortlessly, which is the most impressive thing about it so far.....

Will report back after more hours of use.......

(BTW.....it was a 'b' stock item, but looks absolutely brand new to me!!!!)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
lazar1980:AEJim:
The design is basically the same as the Neo Sub + real wood veneer (hence the difference in cost, more than the Neo but not as expensive as the old Aelite sub which was a cheaper range than Radiance - if that makes sense!).

So, basically veneer is only difference between Radience and Neo 2 subs?

Yes!

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Two hours after it's first start up, and the AE Radiance sub is very impressive indeed......

It's a completely different animal to the QA 1000Si, and my friend's KEF PSW 2010 sealed unit........(he'll be pleased about that, as I have his in my dining room awaiting him to collect it!!!)

It's the sheer power of bass that it gives, effortlessly, which is the most impressive thing about it so far.....

Will report back after more hours of use.......

(BTW.....it was a 'b' stock item, but looks absolutely brand new to me!!!!)

Great! Glad you're pleased so far Pete, hopefully it'll only improve as it loosens up, quite a hefty rubber surround that benefits from a little use...
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts