Best sub under £300.....

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
emotion-6.gif
emotion-6.gif
emotion-6.gif

After only owning the sub for a few weeks, it has decided to give up!!!!

Checked fuses, mains cables etc, but no red or green light it being lit up on the back!!!!

I can't believe it....
emotion-8.gif

Time to see how good the customer service at AE is now.......

Don't worry Pete, we'll sort it out for you - even though it's B-Stock it's still fully covered by the warranty!

I've not heard of any of the new Neo or Radiance subs having any technical issues - give the office a bell on Monday or send our UK Sales lady an email ( uksales@acoustic-energy.co.uk ) and we'll get it replaced. I can't even offer any suggestions as to what might be the problem unfortunately, possibly an internal fuse, but don't go dismantling it - we'll just do a swap so we can see what the issue is. Leave it unplugged to be on the safe side.

Rest assured this is nothing to do with it being B-Stock and a replacement should certainly have no issues - we've had two of them running in the office for about two years and being driven pretty hard with no problems to report.

Apologies for the inconvenience!

Jim.

A

Anonymous

hey jim..

im delighted with mine
emotion-21.gif
, its defo better than my last sub, which is what i was hoping for, im not sure i have it correctly set-up though, a few tips would be nice? not right now of course, but if you get a minute in the coming days maybe? cheers
emotion-11.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
AEJim.......

Your a star!!!!
emotion-21.gif

Just 'asked a question' via our favourite auction site
emotion-5.gif
explaining the problem to your guys......

Will call Monday lunchtime if I don't get a reply on Monday morning.

AE customer service........DONE!!!! (Even get a reply on a Saturday evening with X Factor on tv!!!!)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:
hey jim..

im delighted with mine
emotion-21.gif
, its defo better than my last sub, which is what i was hoping for, im not sure i have it correctly set-up though, a few tips would be nice? not right now of course, but if you get a minute in the coming days maybe? cheers
emotion-11.gif

Great to hear Max, I think the best way would be to download some test frequencies as someone did in another thread on here and run them through the sub - that way you can listen for any level too strong/weak in comparison to the others and adjust the notch filters accordingly. I'd set the crossover low (40-50hz) and go up gradually until it becomes seamless with the speakers - ideally you shouldn't really hear the sub, if that makes sense!

Again I wouldn't worry about anything going wrong with it - hopefully Pistol Pete's is indeed a one-off, certainly the first I've heard about!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

hey jim..

im delighted with mine
emotion-21.gif
emotion-11.gif

Glad you like it Maxflinn.......

Which part of set up would you like help with.....maybe I can help? (after lots of tweaking in the past 2-3 weeks!!)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
AEJim.......

Your a star!!!!
emotion-21.gif

Just 'asked a question' via our favourite auction site
emotion-5.gif
explaining the problem to your guys......

Will call Monday lunchtime if I don't get a reply on Monday morning.

AE customer service........DONE!!!! (Even get a reply on a Saturday evening with X Factor on tv!!!!)

Yeah, you're lucky Wagner was on!
emotion-5.gif

Louise in sales is pretty hot on these kinds of things and will get you sorted - if not ask for me or post again on here, I'm sure I'll be looking at some point!

With regard to the mark, not really sure as the finish is fairly "natural", not as high gloss as other woods we use (5% gloss to be precise) so perhaps it's slightly more susceptible to marking, the open grain makes it difficult to get into the veneer grooves but I'd imagine it's only the raised parts that will mark from a mouse mat... I'll do some testing on Monday to see what works, in the past I've used lighter fluid soaked into some cloth but you obviously have to take care with that (it's an old art college method), I'll test to see if it causes any harm to the veneer first - the warehouse guys may have better suggestions too! Will let you know!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Jim.....

I've got the mark to disappear using water and a cloth, but I found it a bit strange that a dry cloth did nothing. It's out of any sunlight, so will not have any fading issues (if they can be an issue), so I assumed it was just dust on the rest of the sub top.....

All very strange....I guess using the mouse mat is still ok, as water did sort out the mark.....right?

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Thanks Jim.....

I've got the mark to disappear using water and a cloth, but I found it a bit strange that a dry cloth did nothing. It's out of any sunlight, so will not have any fading issues (if they can be an issue), so I assumed it was just dust on the rest of the sub top.....

All very strange....I guess using the mouse mat is still ok, as water did sort out the mark.....right?

Should be ok, can't say it's something we've tested for! All I can think is that the slightly abrasive open grain picks up the small particles of rubber as the mouse mat is moved around - seems odd if it's only sat on there stationary though. If it looks like it's going to be an issue it may be worth picking up a tin of matt varnish spray (can get from modelling shops) and giving the top of the sub a careful couple of thin coats, this should be enough to fill in the finer grain, making the finish a little smoother and less likely to pick up the rubber.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The mouse mat has a rubber side and a fabric side.....

I think I'll turn it over when I get the replacment sub so the fabric is against the sub surface.

I only did it cos i didn't want the photo frame to:

1) Move around with the deep notes from the sub

2) Mark the subs surface (Ironic, really!!)

A

Anonymous

AEJim:maxflinn:
hey jim..

im delighted with mine
emotion-21.gif
emotion-11.gif

Great to hear Max, I think the best way would be to download some test frequencies as someone did in another thread on here and run them through the sub - that way you can listen for any level too strong/weak in comparison to the others and adjust the notch filters accordingly. I'd set the crossover low (40-50hz) and go up gradually until it becomes seamless with the speakers - ideally you shouldn't really hear the sub, if that makes sense!

Again I wouldn't worry about anything going wrong with it - hopefully Pistol Pete's is indeed a one-off, certainly the first I've heard about!

thanks jim ill have a look for that thread
emotion-21.gif
, there are a few more controls on this sub compared to the brw10, i just wanna make sure ive got them set correctly..

ps.. im not worried about my sub kicking the bucket, im sure petes is a one off, it happens.. besides, i see customer care are very prompt
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:maxflinn:

hey jim..

im delighted with mine
emotion-21.gif
emotion-11.gif

Glad you like it Maxflinn.......

Which part of set up would you like help with.....maybe I can help? (after lots of tweaking in the past 2-3 weeks!!)
hi pete, as i said to jim, theres a few more controls than im used to on this sub, have you any suggestions as to what to set them to? cheers
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi maxflinn,

The extra controls on the back are for the notch filter (right hand side controls when looking at the back panel). It reduces/eliminates a room boom (so to speak) at a certain frequency........

Best thing to do is to set the Notch slope to max to minimise the area of the frequency range that you will be reducing....

Then set the notch level to -12db's......

Listen to your system and when you get some bass boom on a piece of music/movie, start adjusting the Notch frequency till the bass boom disappears.......

Once you have done that, you can re adjust the Notch level to add a proportion of that frequency back into the sound, until the bass boom re appears. If it re appears, reduce the level a touch again and it's done.......quality bass throughout the freq range, with the bass boom eliminated.

Obviously each room is different in term of bass boom, and the frequency that creates it. My settings ended up at 40Hz, which is reduced by 2db's on a max slope.....no boom!

The other controls are for crossover frequency, but make your amp to do it... and volume level of the sub (again depends on the room size, but mine is round 12 o'clock, with amp at -3db's).

Last control is the phase control....not done much with that. If it's at '0' all bass speaker cones (all in 5.1 system) will be moving in and out together. If it's at '180' then the sub will be moving in, as the front,rears and centre will be moving out. Anything inbetween will be a mixture.

I assume this will be a bit of a volume control tuning feature.....but not to sure about it.

Hope all that helps a bit......

A

Anonymous

thats brilliant pete, thanks very much
emotion-21.gif
.. ive got a day to myself tmw because of the apparent impending hurricane
emotion-8.gif
, ill close the blinds, light the fire and get busy tuning that sub
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

in waterford, on the south coast of ireland pete (or middle earth as jim calls it
emotion-4.gif
).. its lashing down with rain outside now, tmw is meant to be very wet and windy, perhaps not an actual hurricane, but close enough to ensure ill not be working
emotion-1.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I think that rain hits here (English/Welsh border) tonight and tomorrow morning......

I work outside too, but not until the afternnon tomorrow.....

That'll give me time to sort out my replacement sub.....
emotion-6.gif

Using my old QA 1000SI sub at the moment....can't wait for the AE to be back though....

A

Anonymous

they dont mess about pete, i paid for mine on wednesday at lunchtime and it was delivered here in ireland at 11am friday morning
emotion-21.gif
, i wasnt home at the time, i didnt think it would arrive that fast..

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The original was send on a friday, and delivered on the Tuesday, so they don't mess about really.

But I can only be home on Thursday, so it was my choice to get it for that day....

Excellent service......
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Hi maxflinn,

The extra controls on the back are for the notch filter (right hand side controls when looking at the back panel). It reduces/eliminates a room boom (so to speak) at a certain frequency........

Best thing to do is to set the Notch slope to max to minimise the area of the frequency range that you will be reducing....

Then set the notch level to -12db's......

Listen to your system and when you get some bass boom on a piece of music/movie, start adjusting the Notch frequency till the bass boom disappears.......

Once you have done that, you can re adjust the Notch level to add a proportion of that frequency back into the sound, until the bass boom re appears. If it re appears, reduce the level a touch again and it's done.......quality bass throughout the freq range, with the bass boom eliminated.

Obviously each room is different in term of bass boom, and the frequency that creates it. My settings ended up at 40Hz, which is reduced by 2db's on a max slope.....no boom!

The other controls are for crossover frequency, but make your amp to do it... and volume level of the sub (again depends on the room size, but mine is round 12 o'clock, with amp at -3db's).

Last control is the phase control....not done much with that. If it's at '0' all bass speaker cones (all in 5.1 system) will be moving in and out together. If it's at '180' then the sub will be moving in, as the front,rears and centre will be moving out. Anything inbetween will be a mixture.

I assume this will be a bit of a volume control tuning feature.....but not to sure about it.

Hope all that helps a bit......
hi pete, im trying to set this up at the moment, im just wondering about the phase control, im guessing half way may be best? any ideas?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Mine was on '0' setting....all bass cones moving in and out at same time....

Without having my new sub, I can't help anymore than that.....

My QA sub has a switch from '0' to '180' setting only........sorry

A

Anonymous

Pistol Pete1:
Mine was on '0' setting....all bass cones moving in and out at same time....

Without having my new sub, I can't help anymore than that.....

My QA sub has a switch from '0' to '180' setting only........sorry

cheers pete, you've been a big help
emotion-21.gif

ive got it integrating nicely now, i have to say this sub is pretty potent, the plane coming down in "the flight of the pheonix" blu-ray sounds very impressive now
emotion-1.gif

ill leave it as is now for a while and just enjoy it, ill probably tweak it a bit more at the weekend
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

wow this thing is powerful, it puts my old brw10 to shame, i think it defo needs a bit of fine tuning still as the bass can be a touch boomy, but its very impressive..good work jim
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS